PDA

View Full Version : S-10 not gettin fuel. help

Bubba
11-16-2004, 02:50 PM
Alright heres the story, i was 4 wheelin in my field and stuff then i was just cruising along and the truck cut off. i thought i ran outta gas but i didnt. So i figured the fuel pump was shot. First i changed the relay(but it was a used relay). then it still didnt start. Then i found a fuel pump, when i took mine out i hooked it to a battery and it worked. Luckily that other fuel pump i got didnt cost me nothing. what else could it be? so i just get another relay to be sure. i dunno any help would be appreciated.

TheX1992
11-16-2004, 04:20 PM
Most vehicles are equipped with an Inertia Saftey Switch. It is just as the name implies. If a vehicle is in an accident it will cut the fuel supply. I'm not sure where it would be in your truck, but it should be there somewhere. Check behind your seat. It should just be a little reset button of some sort. That should solve it since you were out 4 wheelin.

WhiteZee
11-16-2004, 05:26 PM
how much gas is in your take, s-10s seem to run out before they get close to E, i know this from experience. fill up everytime its hits 1/4.

chucked
11-16-2004, 06:07 PM
try starting it by dumping a little bit of gas right into the throttle body, this will reassure you if this is the problem if it trys to start. Another thing to try is, with the engine off, turn the key onto the on position and listen for the fuel pump to whine for a second or two.

chucked
11-16-2004, 06:08 PM
also what year truck. and which engine?

pead_24
11-16-2004, 06:13 PM
Yep S-10 do seem to run out of gas around 1/4 tank did it to mee!!!

WhiteZee
11-16-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by pead_24
Yep S-10 do seem to run out of gas around 1/4 tank did it to mee!!!
lol, it sucks doesnt it.

Bubba
11-16-2004, 06:18 PM
I did dump fuel in the throttle body and it cranked right up, thats why i figured it wasnt gettin fuel. Its a 1985 with a 4 cyclinder, it has a full tank..this happend before and my dad took it somewhere and they had to put a new computer in it.

chucked
11-16-2004, 06:19 PM
hmm... well try listening for the pump when you put the switch to on. This will let you know if it is working or not. There might be a short in the wire some where.

quad
11-16-2004, 06:48 PM
Did ya check or replace the fuel filter?It could be clogged.Just an idea.Good luck!!:)
Also...check to see if it has a fuse for the fuel pump.I aint too sure if it will tho.

cknox88
11-16-2004, 08:09 PM
hey man you say you were out mudding well the fuel lines would be kinda hard to get to but mabye one of them got hit with some thing and got pinched off? try to inspect the lines and i also got a computer from a '92 sonoma prolly wont work tho b/c this truck had a 4.3 but i dont know much about them really. just sucks taking a dash board in a s-10 apart tho

P.S. n e 1 wanna buy a 700r4 tranny?

Ericthered rdr
11-16-2004, 08:16 PM
the inertia switch is almost always behind the right front kick panel under the dash;) .......check it

chucked
11-16-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Ericthered rdr
the inertia switch is almost always behind the right front kick panel under the dash;) .......check it

I dont think they had enertia switches in s-10's until about 93

cknox88
11-16-2004, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by chucked
I dont think they had enertia switches in s-10's until about 93

yea i dont think so either iono when they put them in but i got a 91 and it aint got 1 plus i have a 92 sonoma parts truck i tore the dash out of it and never saw anything so yea atleast 93 like ^^ said

Ericthered rdr
11-16-2004, 08:27 PM
true dat yaw.....LOL I thought it was a 95:ermm: :rolleyes: My bad:huh

Aceman
11-16-2004, 10:53 PM
Simple fixes first. Change your fuel filter, maybe all the bouncing around knocked some chit loose in your tank. But I would also listen for the fuel pump when you turn your key on also. Could be a bad wire, etc.

Bubba
11-17-2004, 04:10 PM
well today i picked up a new relay, hooked it up and nothing. So i got out the test light and i'm not getting juice to the fuel pump. I figured i would pour some gas in the throttle body just so it will at least run for a second. Now it wont even start like that. I dunno anymore, Tomorrow i'm gonna check if its got spark. My guess is that dang computer went out again...thanks for the help though guys :D

chucked
11-17-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Bubba
well today i picked up a new relay, hooked it up and nothing. So i got out the test light and i'm not getting juice to the fuel pump. I figured i would pour some gas in the throttle body just so it will at least run for a second. Now it wont even start like that. I dunno anymore, Tomorrow i'm gonna check if its got spark. My guess is that dang computer went out again...thanks for the help though guys :D

You have to physically listen to the pump, unless your checking voltage at the pump. There could still be a short in the wire somewhere. Figure its almost 20 years old.