PDA

View Full Version : computer help.......

chucked
11-16-2004, 02:40 PM
When I go to start up my desktop with windows xp it displays this right after I select my user name and enter my password
""A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license from this computer. Error Code: 0x80090019"

If I click 'ok,' It goes to my background with no icons, after a few minutes of sitting there it restarts, and brings me back to where I started.
Ive had xp on this computer since the spring, no problems, I installed SP2 about a month ago. No problems until this morning.
anyone know whats up?

zephead400ex
11-16-2004, 03:00 PM
Using a Dell computer? XP Home or Pro?

FasstMidnightZ
11-16-2004, 03:02 PM
u might have a virus we had one a while ago and thats what it did pretty much ,except it wouldnt restart it would just frezze up

chucked
11-16-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by hondaexrider
u might have a virus we had one a while ago and thats what it did pretty much ,except it wouldnt restart it would just frezze up
um no,

Its an HP, XP pro, Its a 5 year old computer, bought it a few months old, never had a problem, If I cant fix it I wont be upset but I had about a thousand songs on it I wish I would have put on this laptop.

LazeR
11-16-2004, 05:38 PM
did you install anything recently ? i had the same thing happen when i installed something and xp didn't like it

chucked
11-16-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by LazeR
did you install anything recently ? i had the same thing happen when i installed something and xp didn't like it

no, but within the last week my CD drive has started going nuts, it stopped working first of all, and then it would open and close randomly, sometimes all the way some times only partially.

Aceman
11-16-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by chucked
no, but within the last week my CD drive has started going nuts, it stopped working first of all, and then it would open and close randomly, sometimes all the way some times only partially.

Whoa....WTF:huh I hate computer problems:grr: :mad:
Everytime I have a problem, I pray my Internet still works so I can search around and see how to fix the problem.

LazeR
11-16-2004, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by chucked

That has me baffled.....I don't understand why it would be giving you the error like that. Does anyone else use your computer that may have installed something or maybe spyware ?

chucked
11-17-2004, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by LazeR
That has me baffled.....I don't understand why it would be giving you the error like that. Does anyone else use your computer that may have installed something or maybe spyware ?

No all my virus software was up to date, everything was working fine.

Ericthered rdr
11-17-2004, 06:07 AM
is it a good copy of XP....Or is it a copy that has been passed around... You can try to go into safe mode and do a system restore to a day tor two ago and see if that helps

smallearssuck
11-17-2004, 06:11 AM
Anti-virus programs like Norton or McAfee wont detect MOST spyware/adware . . . you'd need to go get a program like adware 6 it's FREE and will detect thousands of spyware/adware that the others wont. . . the best thing I can tell you to do is try to boot up in safe mode, or better yet if you have a start up disk it shoudl work wonders . . . best of luck! :rolleyes:

chucked
11-17-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by smallearssuck
Anti-virus programs like Norton or McAfee wont detect MOST spyware/adware . . . you'd need to go get a program like adware 6 it's FREE and will detect thousands of spyware/adware that the others wont. . . the best thing I can tell you to do is try to boot up in safe mode, or better yet if you have a start up disk it shoudl work wonders . . . best of luck! :rolleyes:

I have spyware and adware, I ran them each a few nights ago, It wont boot up into safe mode, it wont boot up at all. I am going to change the bios so the cd drive will start up first so I can format the drive. But I will need to buy a new cd player soon.

It is a version of XP I bought from my school. legit.

zephead400ex
11-17-2004, 10:38 AM
The problem sounds like Windows is having issues with the authenticity of the product key. My best suggestions, boot up in safe mode, save your songs, reinstall XP.

FYI: the Microsoft Knowledge base does not recognize that error number.

represent618
11-17-2004, 11:24 AM
You can go into the registry and alter the lisence code, then you will do a forced re-register license code, look the error up on microsoft`s site in the knowledge base for detailed instructions, i have done it many times and successful everytime. check you error again and type it word for word, because there are two or three things that sound close but have dramaticly different fixes, i know the one you are talking about though, you logon and get logged right back off because of the lisence code being unable to validate.

jeff

chucked
11-17-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by zephead400ex
The problem sounds like Windows is having issues with the authenticity of the product key. My best suggestions, boot up in safe mode, save your songs, reinstall XP.

FYI: the Microsoft Knowledge base does not recognize that error number.

Hmm... I think I tried booting up in safe mode, but it didnt work. Ill try again later

chucked
11-17-2004, 02:19 PM
it will not enter safe mode, looks like im gonna have to pull an "Office Space"

Jackie
11-17-2004, 03:08 PM
go to microsofts web site and type in your error message in the search box and if there is anything that will help it will be there.
good luck

zephead400ex
11-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Jackie
go to microsofts web site and type in your error message in the search box and if there is anything that will help it will be there.
good luck

haha, good luck. I've already tried that, does not give the exact error but only similar errors.

Jackie
11-21-2004, 12:50 AM
stinks to be you.
try calling the best buy geek squad

EXRIDER400KFX
11-21-2004, 02:50 AM
i hate damn me. xp is so much better. i would recommend an update to xp soon.

chucked
11-21-2004, 08:24 AM
I dont have me I have xp, worse comes to worse Ill buy a new hard drive and just start from there, I have xp and windows 98 on cd. Besides the hard drive was only like 10 gb anyway.