PDA

View Full Version : Air leaking around the top of my engine???

Poncho
04-17-2002, 06:06 PM
At the top of my engine in front of my carb there is air coming out and it won't start and black smoke comes out of the exhaust? What's wrong with it.
Please help guys I really need it!:( :( :confused:

TRX_Thumper
04-17-2002, 06:09 PM
We talkin 300ex or banshee?

VegasEx'r
04-17-2002, 06:09 PM
Is this your Banshee or your 300? Do you have compression?

400exJOE
04-17-2002, 06:10 PM
I know that this is not the answer you are looking for, but if its a 2002 and no major mods and still under warrenty, let the dealer fix it. To me, it sounds like you have a manifold leak and it is sucking in too much air which makes it too lean and won't start. As for the black smoke, I don't know. Someone should be able to help for sure.;)

Ben
04-17-2002, 06:15 PM
I've got to say it since you said it to me man, glad I didn't buy your bike. ;) Hehe, j/k but you said the same to me.

Poncho
04-17-2002, 06:41 PM
Thats alright Maoz but no need to get smart I was just stating in your post at that time nothing was wrong with it. But it is now

its the 300ex guys and it's not leaking where the pipe comes out but on top of the head.

How much should it cost?

thanks guys ;)

TRX_Thumper
04-17-2002, 07:06 PM
I know what it is.....real simple...pull of plastic an gas tank an u will see a hose comin out the cam cover.....its supposed to be conected to another hose that connects to the crankcase vent and then ends by the swingarm where the air is normaylly pushed out but i think yours has came unhooked.......easy fix....put a clamp on it...

TRX_Thumper
04-17-2002, 07:08 PM
wait when u said where the pipes come out was u meanin header or the one i was talkin bout?

Poncho
04-18-2002, 05:32 AM
I meant it isn't leaking where the header comes out.

PoopOna400EX
04-18-2002, 12:08 PM
Could possibly be a fuel side clamp on the carb. This will tend to suck air if it's not tightened or positioned correctly. If this is the case, the smoke may be the after burn from not running...

Just look to make sure the clamp on the fuel side (not the airbox side) is tight and positioned correctly. I believe there is a little peg that should be lined up.

Just my thoughts...

~Jason

Poncho
04-18-2002, 06:08 PM
Dummy me, the spark plug was just loose. It wasn't blowing out where the spark plug screws in but it was on another part. My dad looked at it and he said that since it was loose it was blowing air out beside this bolt and we screwed it in tight and know problems now.

go ahead and bash me :(

I just heard the air and it worried me so I sarted looking and just overlooked the spark plug.

I'm sure embarrased :o