PDA

View Full Version : Suspension setup....weekend warrior

dodgeram
11-16-2004, 11:08 AM
I mostly ride on the weekends, and that is very rare. I have had my bike for 3 months and it has about 15 hrs on it. I don't jump big jumps mostly just ride in the sand and play. I won't be doing any mx so what would you guys suggest on my suspension settings....sorry I am dumb when it comes to this.

RedRacer44
11-16-2004, 11:59 AM
Unless you just want to buy aftermarket shocks or do the conversion like JH Racing and C&D Racing are doing, just adjust your shocks. Since you're not going to be jumping and going to be mostly riding in the sand, you're going to want as plush as a ride as ya can get. My advice would be to:

1. Take all the preload out of your shocks

2. Turn compression all the way soft

3. Turn the rebound about 1-2 turns out from all the way fast

Do this on your front shocks and rear shock, should offer a decent ride for what you are doing. You could also look into having the shocks revalved which would help out quit a bit. JH Racing in Owasso does shock service so there's somebody locally in your area to do it. Its considerable cheaper than getting new shocks or doing the shock conversion.

Just my advice to ya!!!

dodgeram
11-16-2004, 12:04 PM
thanks....do you have the number to jh racing? Never mind I used the likn in you sig..

ZRider400
11-16-2004, 12:06 PM
www.j-hracing.com

theres contact info on his site i think.

300extreme#8
11-16-2004, 03:32 PM
yep just tunr ur preload all teh way to the top and then adjust both ur compression and rebound as far as it will go on soft

turboTony
11-16-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by 300extreme#8
yep just tunr ur preload all teh way to the top and then adjust both ur compression and rebound as far as it will go on soft

On the rear, I would set the rebound kind of hard to keep it from bucking.

300extreme#8
11-16-2004, 03:45 PM
well it didn't buck on me at all this weekend on whoops or anytime,infact it rode the best ever and i was faster then ever, my preload is still showin 2 threads left,try it out it really works well

Jersey450R
11-16-2004, 04:09 PM
well then what do you guys suggest for ridin hard through whoops and doing big jumps? not real big but pretty nice sized jumps.

450 Racer R
11-16-2004, 05:55 PM
what big jumps do you do? Just soften up the compression and either leave the rebound alone or turn it to harder

300extreme#8
11-16-2004, 08:05 PM
trust me,just turn ur preload all the way up,then turn ur compression as far as it can go on soft,then turn the rebound as far as it can go soft,both the front and rear shocks,i rode at a track that has a good sections of whoops,and a huge 80ft double ,yes huge enough that when i landed in teh middle of teh jump and landings on flat ground it snapped my renthal handlebars, and my shock set up was perect,but one thing bout my fronts is my preload isn't all teh way up it's bout halfway but only b/c i got +2 a arms and need that much more ride height, but this set up really work,i didn't experiece bucking unless i did something wrong,so just try it out and tell us how it went

exrider44
11-16-2004, 08:12 PM
If you dont want the rear to buck you I suggest getting a new linkage. I have the gt thunder linkage and I ride in sand down south jersey thru plenty of whoops. I hated the way the bike handled in the rear when I rode down there. Until I got my new linkage and my rear shock revalved. The difference is night and day. I rode behind a guy with a 05 450r and he was losing control constantly almost crashing while I was riding no problem. It also helped in the woods by my house.:D