PDA

View Full Version : limited budget mx build

redrider05
11-15-2004, 08:52 PM
alright everyone i juss got a new 05 trx n i am gettin it ready for a indoor race n january....i would like to have peoples opinions on what to get to make it somewhat mx ready....i have around 1000.00 to put n it....

i allready have the rear beads n front tires

a fcr carb,crf cam.....n hopefully a sparks exhaust

alright i kno im gettin nerfs bars n kill also

so i guess the question is i need a-arms n axle but shouldnt i get the suspention revalved for the front?? or can i jus palay with them alil to get them exceptable....this is jus a 3 day race so i can wait for certan things till march when the actual season starts like the shocks..well any info u guys can give me would be very helpful

JON

Pappy
11-15-2004, 08:54 PM
you would be damn close if you went with C & D Racings 3 shock rebuild at $550 + an axle (say a G-Force at $199) and then a arms...Burgard standards +2 or +3 at $450

thats $200 over your alotted budget but damn close

redrider05
11-15-2004, 09:02 PM
oo i forgot about that g-force axle....damn pappy thats some good thinking..lol.. u think i can jus get away with not getting the axle till after that race....jus get arms n the shocks 4 now...then after that race get the axle or should i juss get it alll now that way the quad wont handle weird...let me kno...but yea money is a lil issue cause i have some major motor probs on the hybrid

Pappy
11-15-2004, 09:09 PM
well i think you can prolly get away without an axle, but id recommend it.

RedRacer44
11-15-2004, 10:42 PM
I'd say hold off on the shocks. We got my cuz's stock shocks to work pretty well for MX w/ Burgard +2s and an LSR axle. I'd get your quad widened out first because the stock shocks will work fine if set right. The rear is the only problem really but you just have to deal with it. You're going to break a stock a-arm or bend a stock axle before you mess up a shock (theoritically).

Burgard +2s - $450
LSR Axle - $330

$780 total

Still have $220 to play with on odds and ends things like maybe a bumper, handlebars, killswitch.

Just my opinion.....

kazpr
11-16-2004, 03:03 AM
Do what red says if you are stuck on $1000.00 and then get the GT Thunder rear setup. Just my .02 :) Then be barely over $1000.00.

redrider05
11-16-2004, 02:50 PM
good ideas fellas...thanx for the advice

Matt102
11-16-2004, 04:34 PM
you would be damn close if you went with C & D Racings 3 shock rebuild at $550 + an axle (say a G-Force at $199) and then a arms...Burgard standards +2 or +3 at $450

I'd do this. Suspension is definitely important, too.

WhiteZee
11-16-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by redrider05

a fcr carb,crf cam.....n hopefully a sparks exhaust

im going to disagree with the fcr carb and crf cam. the fcr carb will not give you any straightline improvement, just better throattle responce. the crf cam is not a very good choice, you could have got the hotcams stage 2 for $120 instead, which will give you much better performance.

redrider05
11-16-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by WhiteZee
im going to disagree with the fcr carb and crf cam. the fcr carb will not give you any straightline improvement, just better throattle responce. the crf cam is not a very good choice, you could have got the hotcams stage 2 for $120 instead, which will give you much better performance.

that fcr and the crf cam i had as extras from my hybrid so i didnt lose anything.....like i said i am using what i got n as of rifght now thats what i got....this is alil off subject but is there any differences between the 04 n 05 trx's besides color of the plastic??

Matt102
11-16-2004, 05:53 PM
From what I hear the FCR is a very good upgrade. It makes the power snappier, so you dont have to keep feathering the clutch to keep the revs up.

450 Racer R
11-16-2004, 06:12 PM
do you really feather the clutch any when on a 4-stroke?

WhiteZee
11-16-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by 01250Ex01 It makes the power snappier, so you dont have to keep feathering the clutch to keep the revs up
last time i checked you dont feather the clutch in mx.

Matt102
11-16-2004, 06:45 PM
Yeah, well it's a hell of a lot nicer having more throttle response out of a corner when you've got a big jump 10 feet out of a corner. And you might get by going a gear higher in some sections. And plus, you might be able to pull a higher gear start, without having to FEATHER THE CLUTCH.

WhiteZee
11-16-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by 01250Ex01
Yeah, well it's a hell of a lot nicer having more throttle response out of a corner when you've got a big jump 10 feet out of a corner. And you might get by going a gear higher in some sections. And plus, you might be able to pull a higher gear start, without having to FEATHER THE CLUTCH.
is there something you dont understand about the fcr not giving you any more power? it shows to difference in a drag or on a dyno.

redrider05
11-16-2004, 07:01 PM
i have noticed that most of the pros are running fcr's so there must be a good reason.....back to my ?? is there any differences between the 04 n 05 trx's

450 Racer R
11-16-2004, 07:09 PM
Just a different color plastic

RedRacer44
11-16-2004, 07:18 PM
Its not the fact that the FCR gives you more HP which it doesnt, but it will make your quad FEEL (seat of the pants feel) faster. The added throttle response is nice plus it will enhance your quads power and make it feel faster at partial throttle. Also, if you add like the CRF Ignition mod with the FCR....it really brings the quad to life.

Yes, you do feather the clutch in MX. Lots of guys use the clutch to control throttle delievery instead of using the throttle itself. I know several local pros that a lot of the times just leave the throttle pinned and use the cluthc. Which they burn up a lot of clutches but oh well. It allows for my exactly handling through corners by controlling wheel spin and other factors.

The FCR is a smart choice for MX racing. I'm going to put an FCR on my quad later this winter more than likely.

OK WE'RE GETTING OFF SUBJECT!! I'M SORRY! :D

Matt102
11-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Thank you redracer. As soon as I get some money after I get my exhaust then I'll probly get one, too. And as far as the 04 and 05 trx's, I'm pretty sure they're the same.