PDA

View Full Version : - All Winter Thread-

ny300exrider
11-15-2004, 07:58 PM
theres been some different posts about riding in the winter/snow so lets all keep it in here. discuss ways to keep your quad running good in the fridgid weather, stories about anything youve encountered while snow riding, pictures either your winter setups or plain old riding
pics and any helpful information to have some fun riding in the snow. ask whatever questions you want.

i would like to know what thickness oil i should use this winter, i will be riding anywhere form -5 to freezing. should i go down to a 10w40 ??

Scott-300ex
11-15-2004, 08:30 PM
yeah go thicker

to have your quad run good in the winter
1. gas
2. air in tires
3. oil
4. ignition key

that will keep you going in tip top shape

YFZ450Ridr
11-15-2004, 09:12 PM
keep ur *** firmly mounted on the seat for maxium traction, and when it doubt gas it.

Pappy
11-15-2004, 09:14 PM
we usually switch to a lighter weight oil in the winter:confused:

Bush0102
11-15-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
we usually switch to a lighter weight oil in the winter:confused:

yeah thats what i was thinking...a lower viscosity will flow better

n00b on a 400ex
11-15-2004, 10:13 PM
when you start slowing down, shift it up and pin it, i was in high 3rd going about 25-30 on a trail

Quad18star
11-15-2004, 10:28 PM
I run a lighter oil ..... 10W40 ....cold oil is just like cold honey ... very thick. It's easier for your quad to turn over a light oil in winter than it is a heavier oil .

Few tips for winter riding ....

1. Make sure to change your jetting .
2. Add a fuel supplement to take any water out of the gas (cold air and gas create condensation .... equals water in gas)
3. Check air pressure in your tires . Cold air equals less air
4. Stud your tires for ice riding
5. Always clean your quad off after riding and store in a heated garage .... hot engine melts the snow and when left outside in below freezing ... everything turns to ice .
6. Before you go riding , make sure your brakes aren't frozen ... it isn't fun going wide open down the road and you hit the brakes only to find they are frozen and wont engage . I've had to nail a snowbank with my quad to make it stop .
7. Dress warm and don't leave any exposed skin .... Frost Bite sucks .

Number 8 and most important .... go out and have fun , cuz winter riding is a blast . :devil: