PDA

View Full Version : 87-92 quadracer shock question?

4punksdad
04-17-2002, 04:34 PM
How exactly does one adjust the rear shock on a quadracer? the clymers manual is less than descriptive. It says something about pulling the plunger & turning it right for more compression, but I see no plunger in the location it points out.

Guy400
04-17-2002, 07:08 PM
Joe, if the shock you've got is a stock unit for '87+ there should be a plunger style lever on the top of the shock right underneath the top eyelet. It's actually under a rubber boot up there to keep the crud out. The upper plunger controls rebound dampening while the knob on the remote reservoir controls the compression adjustment. If you're standing directly behind the quad and you pull that plunger all the way to the left you'll have it set on the stiffest rebound setting and if you push it all the way to the right you'll be at the softest. There are 4 detents and if you don't get it directly in a detent the manual says the shock will automatically set itself at full-hard. I checked my shock and I do have that adjustment.

People like to bash the LT's shocks but they're actually not all that bad considering they are a stock unit. I've found most of the time that they were set up a bit stiff from the factory and most people never attempted to set them up for their weight, etc. The shocks are made by Showa (same company as the 400EX) and the fronts are compression and preload adjustable while the rear has rebound, compression and preload adjustment. They offer 8.7" of travel all the way around (same as the 400EX fronts and the Raptor rear).

RideRed04
04-17-2002, 08:30 PM
So the stock front shocks are rebuildable? That would be pretty sweet!

4punksdad
04-18-2002, 04:07 PM
thanks guy........I'll go have another look. If you think about it, can you snap a pic? last time I looked at mine, I saw 2 screws. One was plastic looking, and the other was metal. no plunger. so the compression is on the reservior? thats the one I need to adjust. Its way too stiff. I turned the black knob way left & it doesn't seem to help. do I need to turn it right?

Guy400
04-18-2002, 04:30 PM
Here's a pic of the plunger you need to adjust for the rebound control. I put an arrow pointing to it right there under the top mount bolt. It's got a rubber boot on the right hand side. It's the best pic I've got of it right off hand.

Concerning the compression adjuster, turn it counter-clockwise to soften the setting. There's 4 detents in the adjustment and fully counter-clockwise is as soft as it gets. If it's not worn off there should be numbers on that dial. 1 being the softest and 4 is the hardest. I've got mine on 2 right now and like it for my 180lb. self.

4punksdad
04-18-2002, 09:43 PM
thanks again guy.........I had just figured it out & came here to let you know so you wouldn't go to the trouble with the pic. guess I was too late :o

anyway, the plunger is broken off of mine. I had to grab the back side of the plunger with pliers to adjust it. after looking real hard I can see the numbers on the compression adjuster. the shock seems a little better now. I have not ridden it yet. I might have to take some tension off of the spring to get it right for me. I didn't realize the fronts are adjustable too.........they seem to work well where they are set for now.

thanks again for the help..........

one more thing...........where the heck is the stock location for the ignition key?

Guy400
04-19-2002, 04:54 AM
Here you go!

4punksdad
04-19-2002, 05:40 AM
well......thanks again. no wonder mine is mounted on the light bracket. it has 400ex bars on it. mine looks like the key might have taken a hard hit at the same time the headlight switch was mangled.

Guy400
04-19-2002, 08:59 AM
Assuming the ignition assembly you have is ok and it's just missing the case that it goes into, you can buy the new black plastic case with the mounting plate on it for about $50 and that will allow you to return the ignition to it original location.

4punksdad
04-21-2002, 04:35 AM
the ignition key is mounted through a custom made bracket. its mounted to the 2 bolts that hold the headlight bracket. it doesn't look too bad, its just not factory. did I tell you I got the key out of the switch? it was just stuck in there due to crud & sand & dirt. A couple squirts of DWI-40 got it out :)

04-25-2002, 06:44 PM
4punksdad when did you get a quadracer?

4punksdad
04-26-2002, 07:07 PM
I bought it from 400exgirl's boyfriend (ben) around the end of march I guess.
it has some small problems...........but seems to run ok.

Live2Ride300
04-26-2002, 08:00 PM
Quadracers are awesome! My neighbor used to have 2 of them. This winter I built one with my friend, it was alot of fun, especially when we got it all together, with the fresh motor, rebuilt bottom and top end. It really screamed.