View Full Version : Elkas Time for a rebuild!

markk
11-15-2004, 02:18 PM
OK today i called Elka, to check out some prices on what its going to cost for my triple rate SSD 400ex shocks to be rebuilt.
I told the guy that im planing on buying +1 a-arms and im running a +1 swinger, and that i would like them to be setup for my weight. I also informed him that the shocks have about 1 and 1/2 race seasons on them, and I was told that i should just buy new! I dont know about everyone, but im not even done payin off the ones im running now!
Is there anyone can go threw and replace the seals, And get sorta get my shocks back to new again? Or could i take it to my local shock guy???
Also my shocks are setup for 180lbs. rider,and im at 230 hoping to be at 200 by the middle of next race season, What sould i do for the springs!!!

If somone that knows ANYTHING about suspension could give me some info that would be great, Cuz i dont really know the first thing when it comes to my suspension!, I actully just got it dialed in about 4 races before the end of the season!

beak7707
11-15-2004, 02:26 PM
I dont know why the hell they would tell you that. Almost anybody will rebuild shocks for about 90 bucks a pop. C&D will do it, Jeff@the quadshop will do it and I think they both charge about $90. I would say your springs will be fine, just change the valving. Thats why you buy aftermarket so you can rebuild them when they get wore out, so i dont know why Elka would tell you that. I would say for around $300 you should be able to get all 3 rebuilt, if you dont have to buy any major parts or change springs.

YZ400EX
11-15-2004, 02:49 PM
Yea when I called Elka for a rebuild on mine they told me the same thing.. I dont know why, but I spoke with Jeff from the Quadshop on here and he was going to hook me up real good..

cdalejef
11-15-2004, 03:37 PM
If its been that long then your shaft may be wore and need to be replaced but that should be the worst case. I wouldn't go with the local shop guy, make sure the shop you use is Elka factory trained!

CTmxyfz
11-15-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
If its been that long then your shaft may be wore and need to be replaced but that should be the worst case. I wouldn't go with the local shop guy, make sure the shop you use is Elka factory trained!

AKA the Quadshop!

markk
11-15-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by CTmxyfz
AKA the Quadshop!

Thanks jeff, I was also thinking that, or C&D cuz my buddie is going to have his stock 450r shocks set up for a triple rate also! can the quadshop do that???

cdalejef
11-15-2004, 03:50 PM
We tried it but it doesn't make enough of an improvement to make it worth the cost.

Colby@C&DRacing
11-16-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
We tried it but it doesn't make enough of an improvement to make it worth the cost.

That where we disagree. We have done allot of testing with our setup and have been really happy. I have gotten great feedback from all the customers that use our setup and am glad to be able to offer a cost effective option to our customers and EXriders members that don't want to or can't afford aftermarket shocks.

Markk as far as servicing your shocks they are past due and need inspected. Give me a call and we can go over your options