PDA

View Full Version : Who can shorten my silencer for me?

NacsMXer
11-15-2004, 09:05 AM
Hi, I also posted this in the HMF forum because I wasn't sure if they would shorten my CT silencer for me. Well my silencer sticks out past the grab bar and its had a couple close calls with rollovers and such so I want to shorten it. Exhausts cost a lot of money, so I don't want to risk messing it up if I try it myself. My question is, where would be the best place to send my silencer to? If anybody has done this, about how much would it cost? Would an ordinary machine shop be able to handle this task without messing up the core or something else? Thanks for your replies.
-Chris

maggiesboy
11-15-2004, 09:31 AM
you will have to pull the core out, cut the can and drill new holes to fasten the cap with.

khen
11-15-2004, 09:38 AM
You should be able to take it to any welding or machine shop and show them what you want. I would do it if you were closer, but I think you'd be cheaper just having a local shop do it. It's pretty easy to do. Or if you want to get into metal working you could just buy a grinder with some cutting wheels and a drill and do it yourself. You can get grinders for pretty cheap at Harbor Freight Tools. Just make sure to measure twice and cut once, and of course watch out for your fingers. ;)

NacsMXer
11-15-2004, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the replies. I know how to do it and have all the tools to do so, but I just don't trust myself cutting a $450 dollar exhaust. I want it to look professionally done. Maybe i'll take a trip to the machine shop and see what they say.

JR3
11-15-2004, 03:43 PM
my friend shortened his rod woods pipe himself heres a pic http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid146/pce5d57108d9f913c658d724a54e296f2/f64174c1.jpg