PDA

View Full Version : sparks carb boring??

04-17-2002, 03:21 PM
Anybody out there had this done,,I've been emailing sparks about it and they basically make the carb 2 MM larger in diameter along with other mods,,,the cost is $175 and they said it really helps the 400 kick.

Red Rooster
04-17-2002, 04:15 PM
Just sell your carb to me for $50, and buy an 39mm FCR! They are the best carbs. They would would make your bike go like 80mph and give it 50hp and give it 30 more ft-lbs of tourque and they look awsome they are so cool you will just blow the other racers away and their lighter than stock so you can fly higher and........ and.....i'll give you $50 for your old carb and you can put that thoards the new one.................................. how about it?

Mity Mo
04-17-2002, 05:43 PM
Rico, I half agree with Redrooster. I think for that kind of dough,$175, you should keep your stock or sell it and buy the FCR carb. You can sometimes find them fairly cheap used. Thats alot of money for 2mm. I dont honestly know anything about the Sparks Bore but I would think you could get more bang for your buck with a FCR. Just my .02 Mo:rolleyes:

Red Rooster
04-17-2002, 06:01 PM
YEAH, tell him how great the FCR is for MX racing.

kabd69667
04-17-2002, 06:32 PM
This is an option for like a racer that doesn't want to spend a boatload of money, but wants results

04-17-2002, 06:52 PM
i was stuck with the decision on modifying my stock carb or going with the FCR when i had my 440kit and cam installed awhile back. i asked around at the local shops and got a deal. i ended up getting my stock carb bored out. they removed the choke and rejetted it for 35 bucks. i guess he cut me a deal because i spent alot of money with them. he also told me it wasnt as good as the FCR but was well worth the money compared to 450 for the FCR. he also has a few guys racing nationals on his modified carbs. that was enough to convince me. thats 415 dollars i could spend elsewhere. im not saying the FCR isn't worth the extra money but for me it just wasn't practical.

ChadEXer
04-18-2002, 03:05 PM
I had a friend who just had his carb bored on his R! he hasnt rode it since so i dont know what difference it made
Come on Rico,,you know FCR would look good their in your sig!!!!

04-18-2002, 03:29 PM
Man I don't know what the heck I'm gonna do,,,I can give my stock carb and $200 for a new lectron,,but I'm really not wanting a lectron and I really don't wanna buy a used carb,,,I guess I'll just drink the money...:D

Rhino
04-18-2002, 05:05 PM
I am going to bore mine out myself. I am a machinist and boring a hole 2mm larger is no problem. Does anyone know besides boring and removing the choke what other mods Sparks does to the carb? If it is nothing else, I can do it for a lot cheaper than $175. I am going to try and get it done next week. I will let you know how it comes out.

Tommy 17
04-18-2002, 05:08 PM
rico just get ur carb smooth bored... try www.pro-action.com i think thats the website... pro action does awesome motor mods and they should be able to do ur carb really cheap and turn around time is short... i had a pro action 80 and man that thing ripped... they are part of fmf now and they have stores all over the world to ship parts close to u...

if anyone has a bike get pro action to set up ur suspension... i did it and man it was the sweetest ride!!!!

MichaelS693
04-18-2002, 05:56 PM
man i would get it done because it helps alot in drag racing my friend (stevengates45) has a carb. that is bored out and the ways he talk it seems like it gave his bike some kick

ChadEXer
04-18-2002, 06:25 PM
Go on and get you a Lectron!!
Chris seems to like his!!!!

04-19-2002, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by ChadEXer
Go on and get you a Lectron!!
Chris seems to like his!!!!

Well that's the other thing,,,lectrons aren't really meant for puttin around and trail riding,,which I do sometimes,,,my options are boring the carb or FCR,,,,but Terry marcum mentioned edelbrock come out with a 440 carb,,don't know what the 440 means but he said there much easier to tune than the lectrons or older edelbrocks,,I'm waiting to hear back from him with more info..

oynot400
04-19-2002, 10:42 AM
Rico, I know what you are going through. I tossed around the idea of a Lectron or boing or the FCR. Sure the FCR is the more expesive route but in my opinion it is worth it.
The reasons I didn't go with the Lectron was getting it mounted was a pain, you are constatly tuning on them and the throttle pulls hard. I did not experience this first hand, one of the guys I ride with did. I also heard that they make great power on the track but for trail riding they are not that great.
When I installed my FCR and got it dialed in, it was a night and day difference. I have much better throttle response and huge power gains from bottom to top. It was just as big or bigger power gain as my 440 and cam kit.
I really think that you would happy with the FCR.
Just my thoughts... :)

04-19-2002, 11:17 AM
Oh,,thanks Oynot,,,you guys must think I got a back yard full of money trees...:D

I guess that's probably what I'll end up doin,,I'm just gonna have to wait longer to do this than having the stock one bored,,guess I need ta start saving a little more,,,I think the biggest selling point for me is now I've heard it twice that adding the FCR carb is liking doin the bore and cam over again,,,and that sounds awesome if that's the case I guess I'll have the FCR mod in my list below before long...:devil

knighttime
04-19-2002, 11:51 AM
Hey rico, that carb sounds good, but I doubt the claimed gains with it are real.

It's one of those things where I would have to ride it to believe it.

I think the only way that carb would be of any benefit is if u have some type of crazy camshaft and a big ole 465 or 505. :eek:

Even then, it may only be good for drag racin'. :confused:

04-19-2002, 12:18 PM
Well Terry mentioned to get full use of the FCR larger valves and full race porting are necessary,,,but this is for full use of the carb,,I'm sure it would help with our setup,,but to get my $450 worth I guess I have to invest in more motor mods...:(

Piss on it,,I decided I'm just gonna drink the money this weekend while refinishing my basement....:D That's about $200 of drinking,,that' averages about 3 beers per hour over a 12 hour period,,,take a 4 hour nap and start again..man that's gonna give me a nice headache come sunday mornin..:huh

knighttime
04-19-2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Rico
That's about $200 of drinking,,that' averages about 3 beers per hour over a 12 hour period,,,take a 4 hour nap and start again..man that's gonna give me a nice headache come sunday mornin..:huh

Make sure u drink some cold bottled water while u r drinkin and right before u go to bed. Also buy some food after work so u can eat good during your "remodeling". Buy some plain Sudafed (little red pill) and take a tablet if u get tired and so u have free breathing. :huh

What kind of beer are u gonna have????????????

MOFO
04-19-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by knighttime

Make sure u drink some cold bottled water while u r drinkin and right before u go to bed. Also buy some food after work so u can eat good during your "remodeling". Buy some plain Sudafed (little red pill) and take a tablet if u get tired and so u have free breathing. :huh

Mike....it almost sounds like you have done it before. :D Spoken like a true professional!

Rico....I agree...just drink the money, then you wont have to think anymore. :D

:huh :huh

Eric

04-19-2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by knighttime

Probably some kind of light beer so my head doesn't hurt so bad..:devil

Tommy 17
04-19-2002, 02:55 PM
hey rico after u do this i wanna see a pic the roof is gonna be the floor and the walls are gonna be upside down!!!:D haha

light beer is what i drink... i am a miller man... its cheap thats why i drink it!!

Crypted1
04-19-2002, 03:16 PM
You don't have to get bigger valves and port for the FCR. You'll notice good amount of power gain by just boltn' it on. The larger valves and port would help that monster breath eaiser but you can allways do that l8r. ( later) The new Eldebrock 440 was still in the proto type stage last i heard... I'll check on that. And the lectron does not have a accelerator pump in it. which means its balls to the wall or idle, not much inbetween. give me a holer on the FCR, I'll see what I can do. FullThrottleMX@Hotmail.com