PDA

View Full Version : What Shocks to get for a 300lb rider?

BSchorr
11-14-2004, 08:01 PM
Yes, im kinda a big boy, lol, all i do is trail ride with my 440ex, and i also ice race too, what are some good shocks?

ZSK
11-14-2004, 08:52 PM
Any aftermarket shocks will benefit you greatly. Not to offend you, but I doubt you'll be able to find used shocks setup in your weight range. Any company will be able to build shocks to your specifications, it just depends on the price you want to pay. Elka, Axis, PEP, TCS, Works all work great. Works will be the cheapest. Tell the company you deal with exactley what you want to be able to do with the shocks and that will help you out the most. Look to the quadshop, Santo Derisi, or C&D Racing for a rear rebuild.

Tommy 17
11-14-2004, 09:02 PM
anything that is valved for ur weight will be alot better for u... works, elka, tcs, pep, ohlins, fox,axis are all companies u could check out...

suspension is the best mod u can make to go faster...

no offense but i think stock 400ex suspension is for the 180 - 220lbs range...

froride1
11-14-2004, 09:10 PM
One of the best things you can do is get the suspension set up for you. Most aftermarket shocks will work, have whoever you buy them set them up for your weight. I'm around the same weight and had the forks and shock on my XR650r resprung and revalved for my weight and it made a huge difference. I'm having a set of Works shocks built for my 400ex now and I have already put a heavy spring on the back.

Florida400EX
11-15-2004, 09:47 AM
You will love some Elka shocks, I'm sure right now your quad feels pretty good, but once you ride with some elka's, you'll say to yourself, "what the heck was I thinking riding without these." www.elkasuspension.com , tell them Jack Nitabach sent ya!

K_Fulk
11-15-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
anything that is valved for ur weight will be alot better for u... works, elka, tcs, pep, ohlins, fox,axis are all companies u could check out...

What he said

A buddy of mine lives in superior. Still want to get up there for a ice race sometime and try it out. Just havent been there in about 2 years.

BSchorr
11-15-2004, 01:54 PM
froride1 and Florida400EX - So what shocks should i get? Elka or WOrks?? tell me the truth, im ready to dish out some money for shocks and fron a-arms, what does +3+1 a-arms mean? silly question, but i dont know really.

K_Fulk - What is the guys name that you know is Superior, i might know him, theres only #27,185 people in Superior, i should know all of them. lol You wouldnt happen to know the website or the name of the ice racing organasation of the ice races, do you? if forgot it, it was like "Northwestern, or Northern blah blah blah blah :P

K_Fulk
11-15-2004, 02:00 PM
But how many of them are in to quads?

Any way he used to race in events this guy put on. http://www.iraceatv.com/

K_Fulk
11-15-2004, 02:11 PM
Also +3 +1 a-arms mean there 3 inches wider on each side, and 1 inch up.

markk
11-15-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
Also +3 +1 a-arms mean there 3 inches wider on each side, and 1 inch up.

he is right, and the one inch up means one inch forward!!!!!

YZ400EX
11-15-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Florida400EX
You will love some Elka shocks, I'm sure right now your quad feels pretty good, but once you ride with some elka's, you'll say to yourself, "what the heck was I thinking riding without these." www.elkasuspension.com , tell them Jack Nitabach sent ya!

Could not agree with you more..This was by far my best investment..I tried many many different shocks and Elkas were the best I have had so far..

froride1
11-15-2004, 04:05 PM
Comes down to how much you want to spend and what your going to do with them. Works are cheaper than Elka's. Elka's are probably better for racing and have more adjustability. I just ride for fun trails and dunes. I don't ride that fast or do a lot of jumping so the Works are fine. I have never used Elka's but they have a great reputation.

One thing to remember any aftermarket shocks set up for you will be vastly superior to the stockers. The stockers are junk.

markk
11-15-2004, 07:54 PM
that guy above me is copletly right, stockers are pretty rough, And it really depends on what u feel u need to spend on shocks, If u have the money i would go AXIS, ELKA, PEP in order!, But i have a 3 buddies who run there works, and they said they like them better than my elkas, BUT its because of there riding abilty, I run a SSD and it seems to beat u to death when your going slow, but when your on the gas its amazing!

If your an average/even great rider, works would be a great investment for u!!!!!!! do some research!!! and take your time before u go out and spend some cash!

BSchorr
11-15-2004, 10:06 PM
Here is my 440ex

http://uber.netgsolutions.com/440ex/P6190195.JPG
http://uber.netgsolutions.com/440ex/P6190197.JPG

hmm what shocks....

Here is what my atv look like with the owner before me..

http://uber.netgsolutions.com/440ex/icepic1.jpg

K_Fulk
11-15-2004, 10:35 PM
That looks an awful lot like Tim Millers old 400. :blah:

BSchorr
11-16-2004, 04:52 AM
nice ride, mine will look like that soon.

K_Fulk
11-16-2004, 07:43 AM
That is your quad dude, i took the picture last time I was up there in january of 02. The only diffrence between my picture and yours with the previous owner is the number and rear number plates and other stickers.

BSchorr
11-16-2004, 11:45 AM
lol well wtf! lol Aaron Maki was the last one to own my atv

K_Fulk
11-16-2004, 11:47 AM
He probly bought it from tim, He set it all up then sold it not to long after I was up there last.

PerrySoCal
11-16-2004, 01:10 PM
I see different A-Arms, shocks, pipe, nerf bars and bumpers. :confused:

Unless someone returned a lot of the stuff back to stock before selling it.

Looks like different bikes to me. :D

markk
11-16-2004, 01:16 PM
Its kinda hard to say man, I see a diffrent pipe, Rims a-arms, some handle bar parts, oil tank, (no nerfs), But they are both running the same HONDA sticker, and both have the red/pink steel braded brake lines!!!!!!

If it is the same quad, somone spend alot of time striping parts off just to sell!!!!!!!!! IMO

K_Fulk
11-16-2004, 01:24 PM
Look at his last picture and mine they have the same a-arms, shocks, headlight covers, wheels, tires,bumper, nerfs and the plastic is cut the same. Not to mention there in the same town.

The guy he bought it from just kept all the parts when he sold it.

BSchorr
11-16-2004, 03:15 PM
It is the same atv, i bought the atv from RJ Sport and Cycle, I got the number of the guy that owned it before me, he hass all the parts you guys are talkign about... he put the stock parts back on cause the dealer does not give you anymore on a trade in. get it now?