PDA

View Full Version : mx, dirtbikes vs. quads?

michael meyers
11-14-2004, 06:59 PM
hey, i have been into dirtbike racing for a few years now and i have been wanting to get into racing quads. i was just wondering what people that have raced bikes then switched to quads, or the opposite think of the transfer. obviously since this is a quad site most people here like quads more than bikes. what do you think is more fun? more competition? thanks...mike

geogeorge
11-14-2004, 07:14 PM
I have done both. I like the quad better then the bike. I have found I'm more dearing on the quad there for faster. Bikes are fun love to ride them for just fun ut racing I like and have a better time onthe quad.

I'v known a few guys that have gone from bikes to quads and they like the quads better after they get use to them. I'v also known gys that have gone the other way as well. So I guess its up to you.

Just give it some time. I might have gotten better on a bike had I given it more time. But I'm faster on my quad then alot of my friends that got me into raceing are on there bikes now.

Good luck and as for me you two wheel guys arn't all that bad.:D

xX-400racer-Xx
11-14-2004, 08:18 PM
like george said i used to run a yamaha 250 and it was pretty fun, but all my friends had quads so i sold my 250 and bought a 400ex. after goin to a mx track for the first time on a quad today i would have to say the dirtbikes have more potential but quads are much more fun. sometimes i see someone on a dirtbike and miss mine but im glad i made the switch. bikes are a little faster and jump a little farther but are MUCH harder to get good on. plus i have found that after being on a bike and going to a quad im not as scared to try things as my friends who have only been on quads.

Varmit57
11-15-2004, 07:21 AM
I rode/ride bikes since I was about 5, thats over 30yrs. 4 or 5 years ago a friend of mine stopped by with his Tecate and I tried it out, before the month was over I traded my bike off for a quad. I'm now on my fourth quad and don't want to look back.

I really enjoy bikes and still ride them once in a while. I seen to have more fun on quads and also my wife like to ride with me. She won't ride a bike but is on her quad every chance she can get. One of the other reasons that I choose to ride quads is that I live in Iowa where we get a bit of snow in the winter and as most of you know it is almost imposible to ride a bike in the snow. With the quad I can ride it all year long in almost any weather.

11-15-2004, 07:30 AM
Dont have any misconceptions that dirtbikes are faster than quads. The pro quad riders at Southwick last year were turning lap times a few seconds quicker than Ricky Carmichael, i believe.

norrisboat
11-15-2004, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Atkins450
Dont have any misconceptions that dirtbikes are faster than quads. The pro quad riders at Southwick last year were turning lap times a few seconds quicker than Ricky Carmichael, i believe.

Absolutely true. Keith Little pulled the fastest time of the day and was 4 seconds faster at southwick than carmicheal.

Although, they dont tell you that the track was probably altered in some way.

I live out on the west coast and go to glen helen a lot. Glen Helen is never the same track the week before. National level tracks like Glen Helen change the layout week to week.

Im not saying its not possible but I bet Southwicks track was changed between the bike and quad national

represent618
11-16-2004, 09:55 AM
i have raced bikes for years, just bought a quad, always kept a quad around for a pit-bike and had more fun on my pit quad than racing my bike, so here i am, i ride a quad decent, not great yet, and for the carmichael facts, ricky would hand Keith Little his *ss anyday of the week on a bike, ricky is a extremely talented athlete, not to get confused with anyone else on the planet, well maybe bubba!

proquad_20
11-16-2004, 11:59 AM
Ive done both threw the years and retired myself to bikes only now. My kids ride both. But for myself bikes are so much cheaper to go fast. Other than the occasional face plant in a corner its a much smoother ride for me :D I support both. Most people seem to choose one and swear the other is pure evil. Its all fun.

JTRtrx250r
11-18-2004, 12:13 AM
If I could only have 1...it'd be a bike, but I do love both

bradley300
11-18-2004, 03:08 AM
quads were also running faster laptimes at london this year. the advantage of a quad is they can slide around the turns so much easier, they barely have to slow down compared to a bike. they dont have nearly the power in the striaghts, but the turns is where a quad will make up its time

redrizza
11-18-2004, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by norrisboat
Absolutely true. Keith Little pulled the fastest time of the day and was 4 seconds faster at southwick than carmicheal.

Although, they dont tell you that the track was probably altered in some way.

I live out on the west coast and go to glen helen a lot. Glen Helen is never the same track the week before. National level tracks like Glen Helen change the layout week to week.

Im not saying its not possible but I bet Southwicks track was changed between the bike and quad national

That may be true out there, but Southwick doesn't change their track... It took them 30 years to make changes and since then (2yrs ago) it hasnt changed again. The BIG factor at Southwick is how whooped out it is. It's sand and it gets real bumpy/rough/whooped whatever you want to call it..... So, the track could have been more recently groomed for Keith's lap times than Ricky's. My buddies that went to DB national said they didn't groom track from previous week of amatures. However, a buddy at the quad national who went to DB national also said track was equivilent or rougher for the quads... so take this info for what it is, but that's about the only "difference" from one race to another at Southwick.

RiDiNgGrEEnN
11-19-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
quads were also running faster laptimes at london this year. the advantage of a quad is they can slide around the turns so much easier, they barely have to slow down compared to a bike. they dont have nearly the power in the striaghts, but the turns is where a quad will make up its time

breaker bumps ^^ lol another thing with quads is you fall once , most likely sumthing is gunna brake , there so bulky alot of things can go worng if you land crooked or on your front tires , pretty much any little mistake , bikes can take a ***** load of beatings b4 it breaks IMO , bikes are cheaper and more fun to race for me , i still love quads though! i just think it would be pricy to race one
do which ever feels right to you on the track , i think you have to work harder on a bike then you do on a quad but i may be wrong ! lets just my point of view after seeing quads race , and then me racing my bike

but enjoy riding and do it for the sport!

BUILT TO RIDE
11-19-2004, 01:37 PM
Dirtbike motocross riders that switch to quads are generally better, than a quad guy switching to a bike. The first time I rode a quad I was shreddin hard, and i had a blast hittin big jumps and sliding around berms really fast. Im stickin with my dirtbike cuz thats me, im a two wheeled kind of guy. I could race a quad and do well im sure. But in my opinion dirtbikes are more of a challenge and make you a better rider. They also are easier to jump/ less dangerous in my eyes.

EX 80
11-28-2004, 09:34 PM
I am pretty sure It was J. Jones that was cutting the lap times close to carmicheal. Not keith little. I remeber when Jones was out in front he was on fire. He had that moto easily in the bag until his quad crapped out on him.