PDA

View Full Version : Dropping a valve

dunedragger
11-14-2004, 10:11 AM
Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I have a 2002, 400 ex punched out to a 416. J&E 11.5 to 1 compression, only runs on 112 octane, Webb cam (Bottom to mid range), Promeg R4 Stainless exhaust, AFtermarket Rev Limiter, K&N Filter, Ported and ploished, and I could go on and on. I have had it Dyno'd at 39 h.p., with 29lft. lbs. torque, and I run 5.6 in a 300 foot sand drag. I had problems with the tips of my valves breaking off, so I hardened the rockers, put gold platted guides in , and bought stainless steel valves. I went racing the other day and after a couple of races heard some valve noise. I went home took the valve cover off and saw that one of the cotters if you will had wiggles loose, and was stuck between the valve and the keepers, which if it would have been a stock valve it would have broke off. This has happened three times to me now and I cannot figure it out.

mojoe2878
11-14-2004, 04:08 PM
im not to sure what you mean by a "cotters wiggle loose". what is a cotters, i didnt no there was any thing by that name in the valve cover assembly.when it wedged in the keeper did it loosen the valve enough to make it fall into the cylinder. i would help a little more but im not really sure as to what your saying broke, except for the piece thats wedged in the valve stem keep, what piece is it thats got wedged in there? what was it attached to?

dunedragger
11-14-2004, 05:02 PM
The round piece that sits on top of the spring in your valve assembly is the retainer, the two little peices that go inside the retainer and hold the valve in place are called the Cotters. Otherwise known in the car bisuness as keepers. The cotters come loose and yes the valves do drop when the Cotters comes loose. I believe I have weak springs but am not sure.

mojoe2878
11-14-2004, 05:36 PM
well you used cotters and keeper in the same sentence so assumed you were talking about two different things.
try replacing then inner and outer springs and go back with stiffer ones and while your at it go ahead and replace the upper and lower spring seats.

dunedragger
11-14-2004, 06:00 PM
Thank You! I appreciate the advice. I will try it, and let you know what happens.