PDA

View Full Version : cleaning air filter and spark arrestor

Derag2
11-14-2004, 08:25 AM
How often should you clean the spark arrestor on a 400EX? Also whats the best way to reoil your air filter so you get enough but don't get too much on it?

Also i bought Bel-Ray air filter oil the honda dealer said it would work fine and its pretty much the same thing. Will this stuff work?

Aceman
11-14-2004, 04:23 PM
Hmmm....I've never heard of cleaning the spark arrestor before, so I can't answer that question. As far as the air filter goes, just spray it down until the entire filter is covered completely. I don't think you can over do it.:)

maggiesboy
11-15-2004, 06:31 PM
the spark arrestor and muffler should be serviced every 15-20 hours.

Derag2
11-15-2004, 09:16 PM
What do you do with the muffler? I only read about brushing the spark arrestor

YFZ450Ridr
11-15-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Aceman
Hmmm....I've never heard of cleaning the spark arrestor before, so I can't answer that question. As far as the air filter goes, just spray it down until the entire filter is covered completely. I don't think you can over do it.:)

actually u can over do it, if u get to much oil it will clog up the filter some what and bog down the engine. happened to me before and my cousin.

i usualy spray it down till its covered and then if u got a foam filter ring it out kinda, but not to much cuz u still want the oil on it.

also an old trick my grandpa used to do is take some grease and just put a TINY TINY layer around the air box, hardly any. the purpose of this is so what the filter doesnt catch the grease around the air box will. then when u clean ur filter again, jsut take a rag/paper towl and wipe it out. works good and always has, never had a problem at all with it.

i havent herd of cleanin the spark arrestor but i think i might check mine out.

Destructo
11-17-2004, 08:30 PM
a lot of spark arrestors/mufflers have a peice on the bottom you take out, then stop up the end with a rag and start the bike up, blows all the crap out the bottom, but I don't think 400exs have this. I would think you have to remove the end of it and clean it that way somehow?

buddy what not
11-20-2004, 03:59 PM
yup clean the spark arreester i use a wire brush and go over the screen part of it.