PDA

View Full Version : Carb help!!!

knighttime
07-27-2001, 08:40 AM
I'm getting ready to rejet my 400ex. I have a good idea about installing the jets. My question is what's up with this needle adjustment. Is this something to adjust when the quad is idling? What does the adjusting needle look like? I can't seem to get a hold of a service manual, so any input would be greatly appreciated!:confused: :eek:

07-27-2001, 07:35 PM
HEY BUD,
IF YOU LOOK IN THE BACK OF YOUR OWNERS MANUAL, YOU WILL SEE ON PAGE 153 INFO ON ORDERING A HONDA SERVICE MANUAL.
I DID AND IT IS GREAT. IT IS WELL WORTH THE MONEY AND CHEAPER THAN A CRAPPY CLYMER MANUAL.
GO ONLINE TO WWW.HELMIC.COM OR CALL 1-888-292-5393
GET IT ... YOU'LL NEED IT!!
HAVE A GOODUN.
DARDENBARR

nakomis0
07-30-2001, 10:01 AM
The needle is for your mid range, not for idle. To adjust it you have to take off the top of the carb by removing the 4 philips head screws. Now when you look in there you'll see the slide, the arm that moves the slide and the top of the needle. You then need to remove the 1 philips head screw that is holding the arm. Now you need to move the pin? that the arm was screwed to. Remove the black plastic cover opposite the choke side. Theres a little spring, slightly pull that back being carefull not to damage the spring or unwinding it. That will slide the pin? so you can remove the arm and slide. Now with the arm and slide out you will see the two screws you have to remove to take the needle out. Make sure you remember how it looks so you can put it all back together the same. With the needle out, you will see the clip and notches on the needle. Lowering the clip is for richer gas, raising it is for leaner gas. Use a good philips head screwdriver as those screws tend to strip. This is all from memory so I hope I didn't miss anything. P.s I hate carbs;)

knighttime
07-30-2001, 11:33 AM
Thanks nakomis0, I think I got it now!
:D

MOFO
07-30-2001, 11:52 AM
Mike,

If you want, it would be no problem for me to swing by and take a look at that for you....

Eric

knighttime
07-30-2001, 01:36 PM
Cool, Im gonna hopefully rip of the plastic later tonight or tomorrow! When are we gonna see your posted pics of your quad and quadhauler?

Own: 400ex, nerfs, bars, clutch, handguards, headers, muffler, and a 397cc can o' whoop ***!! :devil

(sorry Fatboy racing for using part of your signature:o)

MOFO
07-30-2001, 02:27 PM
Cool...well give me a buzz whenever. I just got done riding the beast this weekend, so I am heading over to Koziks to use their pressure washer and clean the pig up...then I might take some pics....

Eric

07-30-2001, 07:33 PM
what's up fellas??
good description of removing the needle nakomiso...
fyi...
When I added a WB R4 pipe it made me a little lean in the mid.
I had already bought a k&n stage II kit but didn't want to use the filter until my stocker was used a little. When I had the plastic off adjusting my valves, I went ahead and put the dynojet needle from the kit in on position #3. It richened the mid up perfectly to run with stock filter and aftermarket pipe.
I'll probably go to position #4 and the next biggest jet in the kit without air box lid with the K&N filter and skin. I hope it will be that easy. I know with my experience in jetting street bikes that it is nowhere near that easy.
Hope this info. will help any...knighttime.

p.s.
I see you guys are from butler, pa.
how close is that to morgantown(northern) WV??
we otta get together and tear some ***t up
we ride in the barrackville slate dumps and surrounding woods.
what kind of area do you all ride ??
later

:D

400exRacerX
07-30-2001, 08:51 PM
also when taking out the 2 phillips screws that hold down the needle, i would reccomend using a magnetic screw driver its easier to take them out and put them back in.

monkeyboy
05-20-2003, 03:52 AM
talk 2 cuz he help u knitetimerz :chinese:

cals400ex
05-20-2003, 04:39 AM
just remember that the needle is not really for "midrange." it is for ~ 1/4 to 3/4 throttle.

lil400exman
05-20-2003, 04:57 AM
wow this thread is older than me:eek2: lol