PDA

View Full Version : 450r shocks

hondatv
11-13-2004, 08:45 PM
I've done a search on this with no results. Which would be better 450r shocks with a C&D Racing rebuild with triple rate spring and valving for the 400ex OR Elka's recreational shocks?
Need info ASAP.

11-13-2004, 11:09 PM
if your'e on a low budget then get the C&D racing rebuild...if you have the money & want a better shock then get the elkas

hondatv
11-14-2004, 09:47 AM
MixMasterMike,
I was told that Colby uses all Elka parts to rebuild the shocks. I have a PM in to him now to find out. I was thinking the 450 shocks have rez, comp. and rebound adjustments that make them comparable with the elka parts added. Not sure. If not I will buy the recreational Elka. Thanks for the reply. Has anybody tried this rebuild yet? ALL replys are welcome.

Cody_300ex
11-14-2004, 12:07 PM
I would go with 450r shocks with the c&d rebuild.

hondatv
11-14-2004, 04:34 PM
OK census is
450r 5
elka 1

come on, I know some one is running the converted shocks, how well are they working ?

Pappy
11-14-2004, 04:44 PM
i have been wanting to try a set of the rebuilds vs. the aftermarket for some time. as of yet, noone has wanted to fire out a set for me to run.

now what i do know, everyone that ive talked with has been extremely pleased with the rebuilds performance. thats normally a good indicator seeing that some of these folks were running aftermarket shocks before purchasing the new R.

xsr_racing28c
11-14-2004, 05:58 PM
i would go with the rebuilds just due to the price dif, and i havn't heard a thing bad about them.. i am actually gonna get it done sometime late winter after ice riding..... the only thing is that they supposidly do not use elka components anymore, i believe they have switched over to PEP, because they are supposed to work better or something... for $550 for the 3 , you can't go wrong !!!!

hondatv
11-15-2004, 08:17 AM
So far it sounds like I'm going with the rebuild.
Still waiting to hear from C&D on a price and if they can do the job. Does anyone have a good reputable shop that can do this right?

NacsMXer
11-15-2004, 10:59 AM
Isn't the valving and springs that are used in aftermarket rebuilds similar to those on aftermarket shocks? I'm pretty sure it is, and this is why a lot of people are pleased with their rebuilds including myself. I had my stock rear converted to a PEP ZPS and it seems to work just as well as my aftermarket PEP ZPS fronts. You're lucky your stock front and rear shocks are rebuildable, in the case of the 400EX front shocks, they aren't. I say go for the rebuild because you're basically getting Elka shock internals and springs on a stock shock body. C&D, the Quadshop, or Derisi racing will be your best priced options for the rebuild.

hondatv
11-15-2004, 07:10 PM
I heard from GT Thunder, they say it won't work. The Quadshop says that it won't work on a 400ex, and they won't do it if the shocks are going on a 400ex. C&D Racing says thay haven't done it for a 400ex and not sure if it will work but they did give me a price to do it for a 450r. All the shops seem to recommend the Elka's for a 400ex.

For some reason, no one can explain why the 450r shocks won't work on a 400ex. I understand the 450 A arms are supposed to be 1 1/2 in longer so you would need to set the shocks a little softer for a 400. I really know nothing about shocks, that's why I'm looking for all the help that I can get. I would really like to understand. Can someone explain why the 450r shocks won't work if modified for a 400ex?

NacsMXer
11-16-2004, 12:02 PM
I believe the length of the shock stroke is different and this is the main reason it will not work. Shocks are engineered to work on a specific front end geometry. You can't just take one shock that's made for a 450 front end and put it on a 400EX front end and call it a done job. Just because it can be made to fit, doesn't mean it's going to work properly or safely on your quad. I don't blame the Quadshop for not wanting to setup 450 shocks for a 400EX for liability reasons. Do yourself a favor and buy a good set of Elkas that were designed for your front end geometry. ;)

Colby@C&DRacing
11-16-2004, 12:10 PM
The rebuild is a great cost effective suspension mod. I have been really happy with performance and we are always doing testing to make them even better. We do not use elka parts in our conversion, we buy our springs and crossovers from TCS and then valve the shocks to our specs.

hondatv
11-16-2004, 06:23 PM
Thanks everyone for the info. Since the cost of the 450r shocks and the cost of the rebuild is a lot more the the Elkas, I'm going with the Elkas and be done with it. C&D gave me a good price so I think I'm going with them.