PDA

View Full Version : nebody who knows how to paint

hardkoratvmxr
11-13-2004, 08:17 PM
Can I use car brake caliper paint and paint my calipers like black or will that not work? I was just wondering because i thought that it would look cool if i had mine painted and none of my friends did. Any help would be appreciated.

Pappy
11-13-2004, 08:26 PM
completely disassemble the calipers

degrease them and clean thourghly and dry

beadblast them clean

mask off areas and plug holes where you dont want paint to be

apply the coating as per the manufactures directions.

biggest tip will be the texture of the calipers. in order for a smooth finish with paint you will need to sand them down smooth (atleast on the areas you will see the most of) this should be done after the cleaning and degrease and then repeat that step.

also pay attention to the temperature, most paints dont like to work well below 70 degree's

if you follow all the prep and directions supplied with your paint you can have the caliper looking good in no time.

FasstMidnightZ
11-13-2004, 09:25 PM
god how long have u been in the painting bussniess i want some of my stuff painted (r u up for the job)

Pappy
11-13-2004, 09:50 PM
no i dont paint, i just powdercoat

sickmojave
11-14-2004, 05:44 AM
you now I went through all of that just to paint the rear caliper. got it done and put it on and dripped a little fluid on it when bleeding :( now it looks like chit. would powder coating hold up better or is it just the chance you have to take?:confused:

Pappy
11-14-2004, 07:07 AM
regular paint will bleed. the special paints they have for calipers isnt supposed to. i havent had an issues with it on my calipers or any that ive done and god knows i get brake fluid everywhere:p

hardkoratvmxr
11-14-2004, 07:23 AM
pappy so the caliper paint that they have at wal mart and other stores like that will work and they wont bleed if i get any fluids on them??

Pappy
11-14-2004, 07:25 AM
ive never used anything from walmart. try www.eastwoodcompany.com

the turbo shop beside my shop uses thier caliper coatings and it seems to work out ok for them.

red2004 TRX450R
11-15-2004, 11:47 AM
brake fluid EATS PAINT !!!!!!!!!!!!

Just leave it on the bike and clean it with soap and water.
Then clean it with some prepsol or something like that!
Then brush on some paint.

Will not look as good as what pappy said but u will not have fluid all over it and have to redo it!!
All so u can repaint it every year it keep it looking new.

Or you can buy one of them kits for Wal-Mart or the parts store.
They have prepsol and paint and a brush in one kit. Over priced tho

For a show bike do it pappy’s way – for a rider bike do it my why.

xsr_racing28c
11-16-2004, 09:41 AM
pappy , how much for the brake caliper to get pc'ed and will you do all the prep work?? pm me with a price please... thanks , JaSON

Pappy
11-16-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by red2004 TRX450R

For a show bike do it pappy’s way – for a rider bike do it my why.

actually a beadblast finish will look better then some hack job with a brush:p (no offense)

calipers are gravy, i recommend solid colors on them and prices usually start at $20 and can go to $35 each depending on what color you want and if I tear them down and rebuild them before you get them back.

mach5racing4
11-17-2004, 08:46 PM
i used a car caliper paint kit found at import speed shops and it comes with degreaser, it is a 2 part paint, the paint and the hardener, with this kit just use a small brush, all you have to do is unbolt the calipers leave brake lines attached remove brake pads and mask accordingly, it worked awesome on mine.2 coats should do it. I have been painting cars for 4 years. and this is a quick easy way with great results