PDA

View Full Version : Sparks Cam mystery solved

R3Concepts
11-13-2004, 04:45 PM
I have seen alot of people asking about specs on the Sparks aggressive drop in. I was told by DASA that the reason they dont give out the specs on it, is because its actually a stock 03 crf cam. I also looked up how much it was and Sparks is marking it up 100 bucks. SH had one for 162. Dont know if this is true or not but I would be inclined to say that it is?

ZRider400
11-13-2004, 05:43 PM
hmmmm that would be cool if it is, because id just get a CRF cam instead of ordering a sparks cam. (for alot cheaper)

Ex_Rider43
11-13-2004, 05:45 PM
ZRIDER400 are you satisfied with your new cam and how much did it cost you if you dont mind me asking. how about the HRC cam?

kazpr
11-14-2004, 05:20 AM
I bought a new Sparks cam for $185.00. I am told the first batch of sparks cam were actually CRF cams. The newer ones are actually different than the first ones they were selling.

chad502ex
11-14-2004, 07:40 AM
this is old news. The new CS cam is a megacycle 801x2 cam. This megacycle cam whooops-up on their old 03 crf cam

chad502ex.com

kazpr
11-14-2004, 08:58 AM
Ya chad JH Racing would not tell me exactly what the new cam was but told me the first ones were CRF cams.

11-14-2004, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by chad502ex
this is old news. The new CS cam is a megacycle 801x2 cam. This megacycle cam whooops-up on their old 03 crf cam

chad502ex.com

where is the improvement on this cam...like mid top or low? or is it an all around cam? :confused:

chad502ex
11-14-2004, 05:11 PM
this is the most agressive mid-to-top cam you can get for the 450r

kazpr
11-14-2004, 06:16 PM
Ya I am thining that this cam w/a 13:1 piston and my Balance pipe and porting it should just RIP!! I might actually get the sparks piston also.

chris450R
11-14-2004, 08:38 PM
i am not sure but i thought the first sparks cam for the 450R was a low-mid cam with a slightly improved top over stock? what would be a good choose to go with a 13:1 high comp piston? the 03 crf or the new sparks cam?

thanks , chris

kazpr
11-14-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex
this is the most agressive mid-to-top cam you can get for the 450r

The new Sparks cam. The high compression piston will help the lower end ALOT as well as all. Give me til after X-mas then I will let you all know!

Before I do the engine work I will be getting it on a DYno then again after all tht work to help with the jetting and to see the difference!

chris450R
11-15-2004, 05:14 PM
so is the new sparks cam(mid-top) still called the aggresive drop in cam or is it now called the X4 race cam? because i just ain't sure if $350 is worth a cam. i had just thought about getting the low-mid sparks cam and 13:1 piston but that might have too much bottom end power and be front end happy. so the 03 crf cam is the same as the first sparks aggresive "drop in" cam and now they have changed it from low-mid to mid-top cam? am i right? i am just confused now about all this cam talk!:confused:

chris

trost66
11-15-2004, 06:06 PM
I just put in the 13-8-1 high compression piston and the sparks aggressive drop in cam. It just rips. I have a inch and a quater longer swingarm and before i did the motor work you really had to try to get the front end off the ground. With the piston and the cam you could flip it over backwards pretty easy. I kind wish i would have got the x4 just to see how much better it is.

kazpr
11-15-2004, 06:54 PM
Trost what kinda jetting are you using? Thanks alot Kazpr

trost66
11-15-2004, 07:13 PM
i have sparks exhaust and running a 190 main

lukester720
11-19-2004, 01:38 AM
The sparks agressive is actually a 02' CRF cam, a guy I know really well has both and the sparks was just measured on a cam doctor yesterday to confirm this. When he 1st called sparks he told them that he had the 02 crf cam and he was wanting to buy the sparks agressive cam, they did not try to stop him. The following week I called them and asked what the performance difference was between an 02 crf and the CS agressive and they said the difference was so small that I likely wouldn't notice, they said that it was a modified CRF cam. Well now I know for a fact that it is just a stock 02 crf cam and it really makes me mad that they would lie like that. If anyone is interested I want to sell my sparks pipe for 325 dollars shipped and my sparks cam for 120 dollars shipped:rolleyes: I have liked these mods on my quad it does run good, but I cannot support there products any longer. I think I will just buy the VCP pulse charger exhaust and a hrc kit for replacements.:macho :mad:

kazpr
11-19-2004, 05:30 AM
Luke you had a first edition sparks cam correct?
Atleast it is a factory Honda cam :rolleyes:

chad502ex
11-19-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by lukester720
The sparks agressive is actually a 02' CRF cam, a guy I know really well has both and the sparks was just measured on a cam doctor yesterday to confirm this. When I 1st called sparks I told them that I had the 02 crf cam and I was wanting to buy the sparks agressive cam, they did not try to stop me. The following week I called them and asked what the performance difference was between an 02 crf and the CS agressive and they said the difference was so small that I likely wouldn't notice, they said that it was a modified CRF cam. Well now I know for a fact that it is just a stock 02 crf cam and it really makes me mad that they would lie like that. If anyone is interested I want to sell my sparks pipe for 325 dollars shipped and my sparks cam for 120 dollars shipped:rolleyes: I have liked these mods on my quad it does run good, but I cannot support there products any longer. I think I will just buy the VCP pulse charger exhaust and a hrc kit for replacements.:macho :mad:

WOW, Lukerster How do you really feel about that? j/k. I hear ya bud,.... that's just not right

kgbg
11-19-2004, 02:31 PM
Sparks sucks,and it sucks that they took advantage of you Luke. I hope all the Spparks nut huggers realize what this means.....

R3Concepts
11-19-2004, 05:10 PM
This goes to prove that research is everything. Dont be mad that Sparks is taking advantage of people that dont research this kind of stuff. No, I dont agree with it, but im sure Sparks wouldnt stay in buisness if they didnt make any money.

lukester720
11-20-2004, 12:57 AM
This goes to prove that research is everything. Dont be mad that Sparks is taking advantage of people that dont research this kind of stuff.

So exactly what is it you are trying to say here bud? You don't know me from anyone else, the same as I don't know you. I happen to have my own website about quads and talk regularly with engine builders, pipe makers, ignition designers and cam designers and NONE of them knew what size cam Sparks was running for the agressive. Call Sparks yourself and ask them what size there cams are, I bet they won't tell you. They will say if you want to know what size it is buy it and measure it. I guess that if I hadn't chimed in on this thread that people would had thought that it was a 03 CRF cam which is info that you gave in the 1st post of this thread is it not? Apparently your research didn't pay off, the 02 and 03 CRF cams are NOT the same.:eek:

I'm not trying to lash out at you man but that was a bad statement you made and it offended me that you would be so quick to make a judgement call on someone that you don't even know.

No, I dont agree with it, but im sure Sparks wouldnt stay in buisness if they didnt make any money.

I agree, I'm sure that they wouldn't stay in business if they didn't make money either. The point is that their are several other companies out there that don't employ these type of business tactics that are very sucessful, do some research and you will find them.;)

Like I said man, I don't intend this thread to be taken as a bash its just that you really hit my buttons with your blind insinuation, sorry:(

450r#221
11-20-2004, 06:41 PM
I have the HRC cam.How does it compare to the Sparks or Hot cams?

PS Im new here and havent had a chance to search:rolleyes:

chris450R
11-20-2004, 08:18 PM
so if the 02 crf cam is the same as the first sparks aggresive cam, then what size is the 03 crf cam? how does the 04 crf cam compare with these also? i have heard from many people that mark baldwin recommended the 04 crf cam and high comp piston for mx.

R3Concepts
11-20-2004, 09:07 PM
Honestly I could care less about cams, I think its a waste. One of the other DFR sponsored riders that I ride with, has a Sparks cam, full Sparks pipe, 13.8 piston, CRF carb etc etc etc, and he never pulls my bike by more then 1/2 a bike length. Also my first post was for people that might have wondered about this so called cam mystery, and notice that it ends in a ? meaning that this was what I was told, and maybe it was or was not correct. I know a kid that is related to Scott @ Sparks, and Scott said they have NEVER used crf cams as their aggresive...so maybe we are all wrong. But anyway between the 4 Stroke Wars, ATVA nationals etc Sparks still makes his presence known to all.

lukester720
11-20-2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by chris450R
so if the 02 crf cam is the same as the first sparks aggresive cam, then what size is the 03 crf cam? how does the 04 crf cam compare with these also? i have heard from many people that mark baldwin recommended the 04 crf cam and high comp piston for mx.

If I remember correctly the 02 and 04 are the same, In 03 they went with a cam that had a little more top end and then decided to go back to the 02 cam for 04. To the best of what I can remember this is correct.

Like I said before R3Concepts426ex, I didn't intend to lash out at you with my last post, no hard feelings man.;) And yes Sparks is the man at the 4 stroke wars and yes my friend ordered the Sparks agressive and got a 02 CRF.:blah:

kazpr
11-21-2004, 05:47 AM
Ya 04 & 02 have the same part #'s. 14110-MEN-670 CAMSHAFT 04
14110-MEN-670 CAMSHAFT 02
Taken from service honda website.
$162.10 luckily I only took a $38 hit :(