PDA

View Full Version : CRF hard to start.

Narly R
11-12-2004, 10:33 PM
I just had the engine rebuilt from the bottom up, so maybe its cause its just not broke in completly yet. But if I adjust my air/fuel mixture screw will that help? Or is there a starting jet? I can bearly get it to start when its cold, but when its warm sometimes it does, sometimes it does not, but it starts right up when I push start it... any ideas?

Aceman
11-13-2004, 08:46 AM
This might make life a little easier. http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129896 :)

Narly R
11-13-2004, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the info.

Narly R
11-14-2004, 12:44 AM
So is there anything I can do to the carburator to help?

deathman53
11-14-2004, 07:45 AM
join the club I had a real hard time starting mine, I got it down, but now the bike is down untill I can get a custom exhaust, so I'm gonna have to relearn.

kjettro
11-15-2004, 06:27 AM
Let me give you a good advice, check your valves, coming from 4-stroke racing i know, it's your valves.
do a shim job and it will fire right up...

mojoe2878
11-15-2004, 03:58 PM
you can try a larger pilot jet to help with the starting,and like kjettro said check the valves and if they are out of specks then get some shims and shim them until you get them where they need to be.
if the crf is new to you then you will need to learn the starting process for them to make starting easier for you, they can be a ****** to start if you dont go about it right, regardless if its tuned correctly.

Narly R
11-15-2004, 06:50 PM
Well I am pretty sure my vaulves arent right. i know i have atleast 3 thousands too much clearance on my exquast, I dunno if that is enough to make that much a difference or not, but now there is a loud ticking sound comming from the vaulve area. So i think I need to look into that again. My shims must not be correct.

kjettro
11-16-2004, 03:17 AM
Go to www.thumpertalk.com
and do a search in the crf450 forum, you will find all the info on the valve issues, how to and all you can read....
'

Hetrick Racing
11-16-2004, 05:46 AM
I didnt go to the thread but,the intake are going to be the most common to be out.Although either side can give you the same result.
If your valves are on the money and the cylinder doesnt leak down,and your sure it is in time.Then you can with good faith go to the carb.
Ask yourself some questions to solve the problem,did it start ok before the work was done?
Did the carb sit somewhere dirt could intrude?
Things like this are going to make it easier on you.