PDA

View Full Version : Nitrous 426EX

torqen2k1
11-12-2004, 09:09 PM
Has anyone used nitrous on their 400s, because I just had my motor built and want to spray it for fun. Any places that you recommend to buy it from and past experiences with it. Yay or nay.

torqen2k1
11-14-2004, 04:25 PM
Bump. Anyone?:confused:

1fast400ex
11-14-2004, 05:24 PM
nitrous express system.. hendersonracing performance.com can hook you up.

dunedragger
11-14-2004, 06:49 PM
What kind of work has been done to your engine? If you have high compression NOS will not work. I dont know what the limitations are as far as compression goes but if it is too high you could be blowin her up.

torqen2k1
11-14-2004, 09:12 PM
Well I just got my motor built with a Weisco forged aluminum piston 11:1 and had my head port&polished with a 3angle valve job and a stg2 cam. with cosmetic gaskets. still want to spray it. my friend has a YFZ450 and I want to smoke his *****

NacsMXer
11-14-2004, 10:03 PM
Why don't you send your motor off to Powroll and get your crank stroked 4mm instead of the nitrous? You'll be able to compete with the YFZ without the risk of blowin the engine, you'll have more torque, your bottom end will be trued and hardwelded (way stronger than stock), and you don't have to keep buying nitrous. I would think that a nitrous kit would require a stronger connecting rod as well but the stroker kit comes with a HD rod. It just seems like the nitrous kit has continuing recharging costs and makes the motor less reliable whereas the stroker kit is a one time fee and gives you a rock solid bottom end. Of course this all depends on what type of riding you do, if you drag race, the nitrous may be the way to cheap HP. But for all other applications the stroker kit is pretty hard to beat.

honda_runner
11-15-2004, 10:02 AM
Torken2k1 ur nuts for wanting to spray your ****. When will you stop with the power. This kid just got him quad running after 426 bore and **** like that and he says it slow. DAMN. Get a banshee already!

dunedragger
11-15-2004, 10:41 AM
I dont think you need to go through all of that to smoke a 450. Show me a 450 that has been piped and rejetted and my 416 will beat it.

wilkin250r
11-15-2004, 01:29 PM
I've done nitrous.

To say that a stroker crank is better than nitrous is just silly. The nitrous will put more stress ONLY while you're on the button, while a stroker crank will add continuous stress all the time. The tranny doesn't care whether that extra power comes from nitrous or a stroker crank, it just sees the extra power and stress. The stroker crank is better for racing, or if you want that power ALL the time. But nitrous is better if you just want that occasional boost.

The only time nitrous is dangerous is when you go too far. Now, the problem is, it's REALLY easy to go too far, because it's almost like free horsepower. These small nitrous jets are fun, but if I get bigger ones, it's really fun. I can almost beat him, just a little bigger jets, and I've got him. Cool, it's almost like a two-stroke! A little bigger jets, and I can pull a wheelie in 4th gear. If I increase my jets just a little bit more... BANG!!! Blew my motor :( Too bad I was stupid and took it too far.

Nitrous can be used with high compression, but it does increase the danger factor. 11:1 is okay, but I'd suggest race gas. Although you don't need the race gas for normal riding, nitrous will increase the cylinder pressures and thus the need for higher octane when you're on the button.

red2004 TRX450R
11-15-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I've done nitrous.

To say that a stroker crank is better than nitrous is just silly. The nitrous will put more stress ONLY while you're on the button, while a stroker crank will add continuous stress all the time. The tranny doesn't care whether that extra power comes from nitrous or a stroker crank, it just sees the extra power and stress. The stroker crank is better for racing, or if you want that power ALL the time. But nitrous is better if you just want that occasional boost.

The only time nitrous is dangerous is when you go too far. Now, the problem is, it's REALLY easy to go too far, because it's almost like free horsepower. These small nitrous jets are fun, but if I get bigger ones, it's really fun. I can almost beat him, just a little bigger jets, and I've got him. Cool, it's almost like a two-stroke! A little bigger jets, and I can pull a wheelie in 4th gear. If I increase my jets just a little bit more... BANG!!! Blew my motor :( Too bad I was stupid and took it too far.

Nitrous can be used with high compression, but it does increase the danger factor. 11:1 is okay, but I'd suggest race gas. Although you don't need the race gas for normal riding, nitrous will increase the cylinder pressures and thus the need for higher octane when you're on the button.

YEP :D

Cody_300ex
11-15-2004, 03:11 PM
I've done nitrous.

What would exriders do without wilkin! lol but heres a link too a place that sells nitrous. http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Pages/JetSki.htm

torqen2k1
11-15-2004, 09:23 PM
Well I just had my motor built and its to late now. O well ill just have to spray it and if she blows then I will have to get her built by Powroll. Ill try to keep the jets small.

NacsMXer
11-16-2004, 12:13 PM
I've done nitrous.

Ooohhh, burned by Wilkin :eek2: . Everything he said is true about the pros and cons of the stroker and nitrous. I think it all depends on the application you have in mind. For dunes and drag racing, nitrous would be the way to go because you can deliver the power in short bursts. Like he said though, its easy to go overboard, and that's what I would be afraid of. With the stroker, it always recieves continuous stress just like any other motor until it decides to quit. Both the stroker and the nitrous would make you engine less reliable than stock. The key is to make all the proper precautions to ensure everything will work properly. I do everything but drag race, so I guess that's my bias in this. I just think that the stroker would be more practical in any other application.

wilkin250r
11-16-2004, 02:06 PM
Certainly there are situations in which a stroker is preferable over nitrous, like racing MX. But that stroker will give you another 5-10hp, while it's easy to get 20+ with nitrous. In a sand drag, 416 with nitrous will leave a 440 stroker sucking exhaust.

The kits are all basically the same (except Boondockers). It's just a bottle, a couple solenoids, a fuel pump, a nozzle, and electronics and plumbing to tie it all together. My particular setup was NOS, and it was originally designed for 2-stroke watercraft. I just changed the plumbing, and it worked beautifully (until I took it too far...)

I really reccomend doing lots of research before you jump into the realm of nitrous. Learn about how it works, different setups, injection techniques, possible problems, ect. As you learn more about it, you'll find it isn't nearly as mysterious and dangerous as people would have you believe. The only people afraid of nitrous are ones that don't know anything about it.

300ex-boy
11-16-2004, 05:31 PM
Boon Docker

torqen2k1
11-16-2004, 08:30 PM
So is the BoonDocker a good system?Is the BoonDocker worth the money?

440ex2001
11-17-2004, 12:22 AM
The only people afraid of nitrous are ones that don't know anything about it.

I totaly agree with you. I cant tell you how many arguments have gotten into with import guys about nitrous not being flamable. It drives me nuts. They think its some type of volital gas that will explode like a grenade. This is alittle OT but i have a buddy whi runs alittle bit of nitro methane with his gas %30 nitro. The same stuff you run in R/C cars .He said it helps the engine run cooler and ups the octane. I cant see how I thought that stuff wsa like 2-stroke fuel. It has the lubricate mixed in that cant be good for a carb can it. What do you think wilkin?

wilkin250r
11-17-2004, 02:25 PM
Well first off, it already sounds like you know, but let's make SURE, and that everybody else knows, nitrous and nitro are not the same thing. Nitrous is short for Nitrous Oxide, chemical symbol NO2, while Nitro is short for Nitromethane, CH3NO2.

Yes, typical 30% nitro that you buy for RC cars is pre-mixed with oil. As for a "2-stroke fuel", the only difference between 2-stroke fuel and 4-stroke fuel is the addition of premix oil to lubricate the crankshaft. Even that isn't set in stone, as there are some 2-stroke outboard marine motors in which the fuel is injected directly into the cylinder, and thus does not go through the crankcase, and thus does not need a premix oil.

The oil probably won't bother his carb any more than they bother the carb on any other 2-stroke, so that's not a big deal.

Yes, nitromethane will increase octane. It's interesting to note that nitromethane burns MUCH slower than gasoline, and actually has less energy output than gasoline for a given volume.

Let's clear up the mystery on Nitromethane, and it's advantages. As you already know, Nitrous Oxide is not flammable, and the only way you get more power is because it adds more oxygen. Nitromethane is similar, except it IS flammable, but the main appeal is that it will add oxygen to combustion, and thus lower the need for air. With less need for air, you can burn more fuel in any given engine size. For example, one pound of gasoline requires about 15lbs of air for complete combustion. Pure nitromethane, however, only requires 1.7 lbs of air. For any size engine, you can burn almost 800% MORE nitromethane, provided the engine can handle the extra power and increased cylinder pressures. This is how Top Fuel dragsters manage 6000hp from a 500 cubic-inch V8.

However, it has it's drawbacks. With more oxygen, if you don't re-jet, then you're running lean. Also, nitromethane attacts water, it will actually pull water out of the air, unlike gasoline. If it sits in your engine like this, it can cause rust. Burning nitromethane creates nitric acid, which can deteriorate the inside of your engine, as acid eats metal.

So, all together what does it mean? Adding nitro can add power, IF you rejet accordingly. But it can damage your engine with corrosion and deterioration if proper precautions aren't taken. Also, he is adding pre-mix oil that he doesn't need, which will actually decrease performance, so he's probably not gaining all that much with the nitro.

wilkin250r
11-17-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by torqen2k1
So is the BoonDocker a good system?Is the BoonDocker worth the money?

BoonDocker works a little bit differently than other systems.

In a typical nitrous system, you have a nitrous bottle, a fuel pump, and solenoids to control the flow. When the solenoids are open, the nitrous and fuel flow together through a nozzle into your intake, typically while the nitrous is still in liquid form, and sprays directly into your cylinder head and thus into your cylinder. The nozzle contains jets to control the nitrous/fuel mixture. The button opens the solenoids when pressed.

BoonDockers injects nitrous just after your air filter, so it typically evaporates and turns into a gas by the time it reaches your cylinder. At the same time, it applies pressure to the fuel bowl on your carburetor, which makes more fuel come through your carb.

Because of this, the BoonDocker kit is much safer, but you're limited to a maximum of about 20hp if you're lucky, most people only get about 5-10. With a typical nitrous system with a direct-injection nozzle, 20hp is easy, and you can go higher.

It's kind of like riding a blaster vs banshee. Sure, the blaster is fun, and easier to ride, and a blaster can be modified for more power than a stock banshee, but the banshee has so much more potential, even though it's more difficult to master.