PDA

View Full Version : Possible trouble

dodgeram
11-12-2004, 03:35 PM
I found this on another site and I thought I might as well post it

OK fellas if you didn’t buy your extended warranty, and it isn’t too late I would go do it. Why? Well I am going to tell ya.

My buddies bought his 05 three days after me, about two months ago. We were riding last weekend and after we were done we washed the bikes up. He started his up and it had sounded like there was a bolt rattling around in the case, bouncing off the crank and case. He took it to the Honda dealership where he bought it, dropped it off. He called an inside friend in the service depot to find out the scoop.........Here is the scoop.

They called Honda and told them what it was doing. Honda replied O yea we know about that, there is a silent recall for that, do not tell the customer. Take the head off and see if the crank moves back and forth. They did, and it did. So bad it was whacking the case, both sides. Next step is to split the case on a bike that has 10hrs on it. Turns out the crank is trashed, bearings and a rod. I think we are going to show up there tomorrow unexpected with a camera.

I think Honda is holding there breath hoping that people will run out of warranty before this takes place. That is why they are not telling anyone. I hope I don’t have a 7000.00 pile-0-shat.

Hammer trx450r
11-12-2004, 03:49 PM
Sounds like your buddies freind is giving you guys a line

What is a silent recall?

dodgeram
11-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Don't know....just found it on trx450r.org...and there is such things a recalls that they only fix it the trouble occurs. I had one on m Chevy DMAX, when I ask them why there wasn't a recall notice they said that they fix them only when they come in experiencing the trouble.

kgbg
11-13-2004, 02:26 PM
Its called a volunteer recall. That is not what this is. Problems have to reach a certain percentage, or the manufacturer has to have evidence that it is on every one, for a recall.
This problem, most likely has to do with a bad batch of cranks (bad casting), so not everyone is going to have it go out.
trust me Honda's accountants are ALOT smarter at figuring out, if its in their best interests to recall EVERY450r, and tear the bottom end down. If it was, they would.
There is NO SILENT recall. No company does that, espicially Honda.
Mine went out, it was out of warranty, I did not have the extened, and they paid for EVERYTHING, and said we are sorry.

Matt102
11-13-2004, 03:56 PM
Mine went out on me, and they paid for everything accept the 400 dollar labor fee that I am absolutely required to pay because they wont cover it if the dealer doesn't put it together. Did they cover your labor fee?

kazpr
11-13-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by kgbg
Its called a volunteer recall. That is not what this is. Problems have to reach a certain percentage, or the manufacturer has to have evidence that it is on every one, for a recall.
This problem, most likely has to do with a bad batch of cranks (bad casting), so not everyone is going to have it go out.
trust me Honda's accountants are ALOT smarter at figuring out, if its in their best interests to recall EVERY450r, and tear the bottom end down. If it was, they would.
Mine went out, it was out of warranty, I did not have the extened, and they paid for EVERYTHING, and said we are sorry.

Ya that is why I bought a Honda they make a Good product and they will stand behind what they make better than anyone else!!

11-16-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by kgbg

what symptoms did your bike show? mine is making a rattle noise in the engine mainly at idle after it's completely warmed up........do you think this could be the same problem? thanks.