PDA

View Full Version : Internet is being WEIRD (Have a router with 3 computers hooked up CABLE MODEM)

Greg Z
11-12-2004, 12:31 PM
OK well i have 3 computer hooked up to the internet to wire routers.. i have cable... it always runned fast... i always download (off of good servers) 600-900kbs some times much faster then that off of microsoft.com i downloaded some think at 1.4mbs anyways you get the point good isp... But for some reason the internet CRAPS out ever since Iv gotten the router... it just shuts down.. It says that im still conected to the internet.. but It wont let me connect to aim or go to any websites.. I have to pull the plug on the cable modem and then put it back in(reseting the cable modem) WTF is up with that.. What should I do? is there any way i can fix this? it never did this before when there was just 1 computer hooked up to the internet.. BTW i have a LINKSYS router... for 4 computers.. 3 computers are hooked up to it..

sprtrx300ex
11-12-2004, 12:48 PM
I have the same problem bro. I also have a lynksys modem and router. I think they're junk.

I also dont have a "steady signal" comming to my house. Which is y it does that. I have battled with our cable company for over a year, and they send multiple techs out, and its something different everytime. Irratating

zephead400ex
11-12-2004, 12:57 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of home networking. What kind of router do you have? Do you have any of the pc's hardwired to the router?

Greg Z
11-12-2004, 01:59 PM
no we use all ethernet wires... I called up my ISP and they said its not the cable modem and to call up Linksys which i did and i got some weird *** lady on the phone (sounded like those typical 600 pound ladies with the SLOWWWWWWWWWW talking deep voices like from deuce biggalow male jiggalo) anyways.. it was hard to understand her... but it seems to be fine... now... but its really irritating... to unplug and plug the cable modem all the time...:chinese: my ISP said it could be a faulty router...

zephead400ex
11-12-2004, 02:08 PM
It could be the inhouse firewall built into the Linksys routers! We have problems with them quite often!

gojk
11-12-2004, 02:36 PM
Have you tried upgrading the routers firmware. Alot of times they aren't compatible with things using them. IE XBoxes. Usually a firmware upgrade will fix it. I have used alot of Linksys routers in my day and I haven't had many problems with them. D-Link is a who different story though. I almost always use Netgear now.

popo
11-12-2004, 05:37 PM
Do you have a static or dynamic ip addr?

I-7
11-12-2004, 06:28 PM
Wow... that sounds like an ALMOST identical problem to what I had. We had cable techs come over numerous times, spent hours on the phone with them, linksys, local computer techs and everything else you can think of... and the problem was never fixed....

Well I did some research on my own and went and bought a new modem from circuit city... well the modem came with the ethernet cables and everything so I hooked it all up and I didnt get any connection at all. I then put the old modem back in and forgot to swap the ethernet cables back out... it came on... and stayed on... and its been perfect for a year. It turns out that the ethernet cables come in two different types... If you look on the back of the head on the ethernet cable, some have 4 wires that you can visably see. The one that came with the other modem had 8 wires. It turns out that the weaker/cheaper ethernet cable could not withstand with a router and I would keep getting unstable service. So all in all... I switched from an ethernet cable with 4 wires in the back to an ethernet cable to 8 wires in the back. I put the old cable in the new modem and returned it and they didnt even check so I basically got it for free. Check your ethernet cable that connects FROM THE ROUTER TO THE MODEM and look on the head. If it has 4 wires... hopefully my research will help you.. if it has 8 wires... sorry for running my mouth off

And if your real smart with computers... and you think what I just said doesnt make any sense... I just dont know because its been working for me for over a year now :macho

Greg Z
11-12-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by popo
Do you have a static or dynamic ip addr? i beleive its a dynamic

Greg Z
11-13-2004, 10:18 AM
i called up linksys and they said to upgrade the firmware or w/e so i did... hopefully it will work..

TGW_400ex
11-13-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by sprtrx300ex
I have the same problem bro. I also have a lynksys modem and router. I think they're junk.

I also dont have a "steady signal" comming to my house. Which is y it does that. I have battled with our cable company for over a year, and they send multiple techs out, and its something different everytime. Irratating

my linksys router has worked fine since i got it all my computers are fast:eek2: