PDA

View Full Version : Cam chain Woes....???

QuadJunkies
11-11-2004, 10:19 PM
Well, I have been noticing that my power isnt right on lately and Im having some noises that arent right either in my 426...Kinda like a "bangin-rattling" noise inside..
MY ole man is just geussing ,but maybe the Cam chain stretched?? I start my series next wk end... As of right now, we have my Daughters mini kicker broke and a part for the Electric start we are waiting on parts , The predator is held up with gaskets not getting shipped for the tranny kit,and now this....
:mad:
What signs does a Cam chain give and what would make this happen ?? I dont know alot on the powertrain part of things but I am learning! Looks liek the soonest to get it in the shop would be Dec. Ive rode it like this for a few times and it runs fine other than power loss and sound.... Thanks

MATTXR250R
11-12-2004, 05:51 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems...I know how you feel:( .

A cam chain that is worn usually will make a slapping sound...which very well might be just what your hearing. You cylinder and Cylinder head have a gavity on the right side that the chain comes up through. Once the chain gets worn enough the cam chain tensienor(sp)can't pull enough slack out of it and it will actually make contact with the metal in the cylinder and head cavity..giving you a metal to metal contact sound. And dont keep riding it like this as if the chain gets worn enough it can jump a tooth on the cam sprocket and a your valve timing will not be correct. Meaning a valve will be open when it shouldn't. If you are pretty mechanically inclined then do it yourself...I never let a shop touch any of my toys I do the work myself. I have had my XR250R(same motor design as the 400ex)so if you need any help replacing the cam chain tensionor and the chain let me know. Matt.

UglyMotha™
11-12-2004, 08:23 AM
it could be just your tensioner...... i've had to to put two tensioners in mine since i built my motor they seem to only last bout a year for me

but now would be a good opprotunity to pull her apart and put a crf450 chain in it and one of these (http://amt-cnc.com/products_frame.html) tensioners

MATTXR250R
11-12-2004, 08:25 AM
If it were my engine..I would do the chain and tensinor at the same time. Thats just me..I'd feel as if the job was done only 1/2 way if I just replaced one and not the other..But thats my way of doing things. I don't risk anything when it comes to my engines..

chucked
11-12-2004, 08:43 AM
I too replaced the cam chain tensioner a few times, then when I took my motor apart I checked the length of the old cam chain compared to a new one and it was waaaaaaaaaay stretched, it was so stretched the cam chain tensioner didnt have enough tensioner to keep it tight. So a crf450f cam chain went in there.

QuadJunkies
11-12-2004, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
it could be just your tensioner...... i've had to to put two tensioners in mine since i built my motor they seem to only last bout a year for me

but now would be a good opprotunity to pull her apart and put a crf450 chain in it and one of these (http://amt-cnc.com/products_frame.html) tensioners S ohow hard is it to do?? Ive had my 426 for a year in Jan. so 10 months I guess :ermm: Its ran PERFECT and could be misleadingly perfect to someone who didnt know my quad.

UglyMotha™
11-12-2004, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by MATTXR250R
If it were my engine..I would do the chain and tensinor at the same time. Thats just me..I'd feel as if the job was done only 1/2 way if I just replaced one and not the other..But thats my way of doing things. I don't risk anything when it comes to my engines..

i was looking for a link there killer :o ;)

chucked
11-12-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
S ohow hard is it to do?? Ive had my 426 for a year in Jan. so 10 months I guess :ermm: Its ran PERFECT and could be misleadingly perfect to someone who didnt know my quad.

its very easy to do, If you look on the back right side of the engine you will see it, the header is probably blocking it though. Theres 2 8mm bolts holding it in. Its a little tricky putting it back in though, if you decide to reuse the stock one. You will need to run it all the way back in with a screwdriver and hold it in. Its a one way deal. You can access the screw by removing the phillips head screw on it.

QuadJunkies
11-12-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by MATTXR250R
Sorry to hear about your problems...I know how you feel:( .

A cam chain that is worn usually will make a slapping sound...which very well might be just what your hearing. You cylinder and Cylinder head have a gavity on the right side that the chain comes up through. Once the chain gets worn enough the cam chain tensienor(sp)can't pull enough slack out of it and it will actually make contact with the metal in the cylinder and head cavity..giving you a metal to metal contact sound. And dont keep riding it like this as if the chain gets worn enough it can jump a tooth on the cam sprocket and a your valve timing will not be correct. Meaning a valve will be open when it shouldn't. If you are pretty mechanically inclined then do it yourself...I never let a shop touch any of my toys I do the work myself. I have had my XR250R(same motor design as the 400ex)so if you need any help replacing the cam chain tensionor and the chain let me know. Matt. The sound is hard to decribe, its not really a slapping more of a banging,but its very mild in sound .so does this effect the power as well??? LOL.sorry,Im not mechanically enclined alot but I do know some!!! My ole man has done a ton on the minis and his Predator but to be honest.. NEVER , EVER have we had to touch a thing on my Honda:cool: ITs now got a gasket that needs replaced so I guess its time for some deeper maintence!!! Is the Ex easy to work on???

UglyMotha™
11-12-2004, 08:57 AM
it's really not hard at all even the chain is pretty easy just pull the plastic and tank that the valve cover off you goin to have to pull the cam side cover and clutch basket for the chain

for the tesion i find it easiest to use a long extension with a swivel and 8mm sockect and and run it down thru the subframe i can have one swapped in just a couple mins with ease if you have your service manual it should be a breeze

but when the chain goes it really doesn't make a slaping sound it more or less like a knocking sound

and yup it will rob you some of power it may not be very noticable though but as your timing chain stretches it retards your timing

QuadJunkies
11-12-2004, 09:06 AM
it's really not hard at all even the chain is pretty easy just pull the plastic and tank that the valve cover off you goin to have to pull the cam side cover and clutch basket for the chain

for the tesion i find it easiest to use a long extension with a swivel and 8mm sockect and and run it down thru the subframe i can have one swapped in just a couple mins with ease if you have your service manual it should be a breeze

but when the chain goes it really doesn't make a slaping sound it more or less like a knocking sound

and yup it will rob you some of power it may not be very noticable though but as your timing chain stretches it retards your timing then I bet thats what it is ;) I only hope its that simple!! Nothing else seems to be lately. .. :(

cals400ex
11-12-2004, 10:35 AM
i believe there is a nice write up in the FAQ forum that goes through the steps for replacing the chain. i needed an impact to get the clutch basket out. it wasn't that hard just take your time like everything else. the tensioner is really easy to take off and put on.

QuadJunkies
11-12-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i believe there is a nice write up in the FAQ forum that goes through the steps for replacing the chain. i needed an impact to get the clutch basket out. it wasn't that hard just take your time like everything else. the tensioner is really easy to take off and put on. Thanks!! Ill look for the thread and if you find it beofre I, could you pleas post the link and Ill give it to Troy ;)

400-416EX
11-13-2004, 09:24 AM
I am having the same sound and nobody seemed to know what it was. Now I have a good idea thanks guys.

QuadJunkies
11-13-2004, 10:04 AM
the guy who done my motor work said it would cost me around 285.00 to change it out (it was like 58.00 for the chain).Seems kinda high to me :rolleyes: but we dont have time to do it ourself this time, we still have a tranny to install in the Predator too. I cant think of anything else that might make this noise so this has got to be it

seven
11-13-2004, 11:56 AM
Very easy to do. If Troy wants to do the work I will guide him threw it.

QuadJunkies
11-13-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by seven
Very easy to do. If Troy wants to do the work I will guide him threw it. Have you done it before?? Much appreciated... all this stuff is REALLY breaking the bank :(

seven
11-13-2004, 12:00 PM
I have built 2 400ex s so far. The cam chain shouldnt be that dificult to do. If its just the tensioner thats even easier.

chucked
11-13-2004, 03:19 PM
DONT buy the 400ex cam chain, buy the crf450f cam chain, its cheaper and stronger, I think its cheaper because its made in the us, the 400ex chains are made in japan.

panteramatt
11-13-2004, 04:59 PM
Yea try to replace it yourself. It shouldnt cost anyone more than $100 in labor anyway, its not like you have to split the cases. Do it now though cause I had a 250x way back in the day:huh and the same thing happened and I still rode it that day and I dropped a valved and screwed up my entire head!

QuadJunkies
11-13-2004, 09:52 PM
thanks for that advice.....;)

QuadJunkies
11-15-2004, 12:12 PM
well this stinks....

Cam chain will be put on tomorrow or Wed. but they told me in parts that the 450 chain has one link too many??? I couldnt wait I have to have this ready in three days so to order parts and all, I went with stock again :( When I do my rebuild next fall, Ill have alot more time to do some upgrades...Now, they also told me that this would mostly make this noise at LOW rpms, is that correct?? That is not usually a chain at HIGH rpms...

UglyMotha™
11-15-2004, 12:35 PM
shows just how much they actually know or atleast they think they know yah it does have one link to much every 40 rotations of the crank it passes the cam up maybe thats why i keep bending valves everytime i fire it up :rolleyes: oh well

normally with a timing chain the knocking is more defined at lower rpms but with high rpms the knocking becomes more constant and isn't quite as noticable as a knocking sound you still know there is something wrong because it still does make a sound i just really don't know how to describe it

but really qj troy doesn't have a service manual or anything it would take a whole hour if that to swap it out

chucked
11-15-2004, 12:44 PM
well this stinks....

Cam chain will be put on tomorrow or Wed. but they told me in parts that the 450 chain has one link too many??? I couldnt wait I have to have this ready in three days so to order parts and all, I went with stock again :( When I do my rebuild next fall, Ill have alot more time to do some upgrades...Now, they also told me that this would mostly make this noise at LOW rpms, is that correct?? That is not usually a chain at HIGH rpms...

I counted them 100 times, I know they have the same number of links, they are 1 link wider.

QuadJunkies
11-15-2004, 11:54 PM
shows just how much they actually know or atleast they think they know yah it does have one link to much every 40 rotations of the crank it passes the cam up maybe thats why i keep bending valves everytime i fire it up :rolleyes: oh well

normally with a timing chain the knocking is more defined at lower rpms but with high rpms the knocking becomes more constant and isn't quite as noticable as a knocking sound you still know there is something wrong because it still does make a sound i just really don't know how to describe it

but really qj troy doesn't have a service manual or anything it would take a whole hour if that to swap it out hehe I know ..go figure ....:rolleyes: Were going to do the work ourselves tomorrow. :) I feel better doing it that way my ole man is just worried Ill freak out if anything he does to my quad goes wrong:o :p I think its in better hand here than the dealer ;)

Rico
11-16-2004, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by chucked
I counted them 100 times, I know they have the same number of links, they are 1 link wider.

Yuuup

I've had one in my quad for a year now and it doesn't sound any different than the stock one.....:cool: It's all good Tina

QuadJunkies
11-18-2004, 12:17 AM
well.... Looks like we found out what the issue was ...:mad:

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57855&highlight=hotcam+flange

EXACTLY this.... Im gonna be SOOO pi$$ed if I miss my first race of the winter seires this wk end if I cant get this done in time... :grr:

86350x
11-18-2004, 01:13 AM
Wow, that sucks:(

If you lived around me I'd let you use my banshee. I used a heavy duty D.I.D cam chain on my thumper build up project.

QuadJunkies
11-18-2004, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by 86350x
Wow, that sucks:(

If you lived around me I'd let you use my banshee. I used a heavy duty D.I.D cam chain on my thumper build up project. Thanks for the offer anyhow.......... :( :ermm: this is the first time I have EVER had any issues with my quad since I bought it ....:(

86350x
11-18-2004, 02:12 AM
It wouldn't have even been an issue if it wasn't for that stupid hotcam. I'd try to get ahold of a stocker and get a hard weld from webcam, whitebros, or fst.

Hope everything works out for you.

dirtmomma
11-18-2004, 08:51 AM
Damn Tina this SUCKS!!!!!!!!!! I would be calling up ol Hotcams RIGHT AWAY:grr: Hope you guys get it fixed before your race!!

QuadJunkies
11-18-2004, 09:27 AM
I have good news!!!
Hot cam is overnighting me a replacement for FREE!!! Im stil paying the shipping, but the part will be taken care of. I owe my buddy a BIG one for taking care of this for me ;) I hope this one is better:ermm:

dirtmomma
11-18-2004, 10:04 AM
I have good news!!!
Hot cam is overnighting me a replacement for FREE!!! Im stil paying the shipping, but the part will be taken care of. I owe my buddy a BIG one for taking care of this for me ;) I hope this one is better:ermm:

:cool: :D RIGHT ON!!