PDA

View Full Version : PCing Hubs??

300exPat
11-11-2004, 04:49 PM
i know how to take the hubs and rotor and all that crap off but i saw someone powdercoat them wit the bolts still in?? can you even do that??? and is there anything inside the hub that will like melt or get messed up if i leave them in inside the oven??

FasstMidnightZ
11-11-2004, 05:30 PM
i dont think nothing will mess up u can paint the bolts to but when u go to put the wheel on it will probaly come off .and i dont think nothing will mess up from the heat but im no expert only pappy is , hes usally on here maybe hell answer

JRDrider22
11-11-2004, 06:18 PM
we just reuglary painted ours. we taped off our bolts and painted around them. they havent chipped yet. we did 4 coats..let it sit for a day. then 3 coats of clear coat. and let it sit for a day

it turned out perfect

YZ400EX
11-11-2004, 06:18 PM
I dont think the heat would mess anything up and they are easy to remove anyways..if the paint or PC did get on them the nuts wouldnt fit the studs good anymore..they would be tight..Just remove the bolts and put them back in after PC or they can probably tape them off when spraying anyways..

QuAdEr 317
11-11-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by JRDrider22
we just reuglary painted ours. we taped off our bolts and painted around them. they havent chipped yet. we did 4 coats..let it sit for a day. then 3 coats of clear coat. and let it sit for a day

it turned out perfect
spray piant?

Pappy
11-11-2004, 07:13 PM
hubs can be painted, i dont feel they really take much abuse unless you are a severe mud monkey.

id remove the hub from the quad, remove the bearings and seals, completely strip the stock finish and beadblast. then tape the pads off and wheel studs, use a good self etching primer and a decent enamel paint. top it off a day later with a good laquer clear coat.

good prep, and patience will be needed as way to many folks rush it and end up with something hideous:scary:

FasstMidnightZ
11-11-2004, 07:19 PM
did u do that , those look awsome

Pappy
11-11-2004, 07:22 PM
thanks, and yes, thats what i do:p

300exPat
11-12-2004, 09:07 AM
but i dont want to paint! i find pcing easier then painting, paint you have to wait forever for coats to dry and all that crap, to pc my hubs all i need to do is take them to this factory down the street that my dads friends with the owners with and bead blast them there, then pcing only takes like a hour, mostly waiting for it to cook and then let it cool

but anyway so i should take out the bolts, bearings and seals, tape up the holes when i pc and then im good, correct??

how do i get the bearings and seals out, pop them out with a screw driver??

howshnazy
11-12-2004, 09:55 AM
Would sandblasting work as opposed to beadblasting?

300exPat
11-12-2004, 11:04 AM
yea there almost the same thing but i think beads are safer for some metals... or it might be the other way around, if ya really need a definite answer pm pappy