PDA

View Full Version : Today was not my day,,, I will never mess with another freakin Jet kit again.....

frogburner
04-16-2002, 09:30 PM
Well as luck would have it, i got my jet kit in TODAY and wasnt going to put it in either<<<<< BUT,,,, i got the sudden urge to go out in the garage and play around for a little bit.... NOW,,, i have to take out the carburator and get some of the main adapter out of one of the threads that it Broke off in....... Its not my day..... Heck its all tore down,,,, i might as well do the freakin 440 kit,,, port polish, with XR cam,,,,, but if i cant get a silly jet kit in there, i might as well not mess with it,,,,,, hope fully i can get my hands on another main adapter this week.... I thought this would be easier than replacing A-Arms,,,,, i guess for me though it wasnt.... :confused:

Glamis400ex
04-16-2002, 09:38 PM
Frog......

I did the same thing dude. I broke off the dynojet adapter in the carb. I freaked out when I did it. I was able to get it out by using drill bit tip to back it out.(kinda hard to explain) Worst case?....you'll have to buy a new needle jet holder if you can't back it out. No biggie.

Dont over tighten those, they're real fragile....(obviously)

Glamis

400exJOE
04-16-2002, 09:38 PM
Relax, if you broke the main jet adapter its no big deal. I don't even use mine w/ my dyno jet jets. There is no need. All it does is go between the pilot jet and new main jets. I just didn't bother w/ mine because it makes the carb suck gas from lower in the bowl where more crap floats around. Believe me, you don't need it. The dyno jet main jets will screw right into your pilot jet. I don't even know why they put it in the kit. Now go back out to the garage and show your quad that you're the man!:D Also, what are your mods? I can help you out on your jetting if you would like.

400exJOE
04-16-2002, 09:40 PM
Sorry, I missed the part about it being broke off in your pilot jet. A pilot is only about $6 so I would try to drill it or if any is exposed, try to get some needle nose pliers on it and pull it out. Worst case, you just buy a new pilot jet.

frogburner
04-16-2002, 09:46 PM
The ONLY mod i have is a MegaMaxII silencer... BUT,,, I have a K&N and Pre-charger on the way,,, they should be here Very soon.. And i am cutting the holes in my airbox lid too.... I talked to my cousin and he said one of friends would jet it for me, so i guess i will cut the holes and wait for the filters, and let him jet it.... Are you positve you dont have to have that stupid adapter in there.... I need no more problems, its not a show bike, i ride it, and if i mess with it again it will be sittin for a while longer.... Cant belive i did that though...

400exJOE
04-16-2002, 09:56 PM
Yes, I am sure there is no need for it. I have ran my quad successfully for months since I first jetted it, and I have changed the jetting probably 10 times between adjusting for mods and for tuning. As for over tightening, be glad you learned your lesson on something small and inexpensive. Overtorqueing a head nut and pulling a stud out of your cylinder is no fun! Believe me, I know from past experiences... For the jetting, depending on your elevation, I would start by lowering the needle clip one (toward the pointed end) and a 155 or 160 main jet. Also, turn the 'low speed' adjustment screw out 2.5 to 3 turns. The kit has decent instructions, but they seem to run a little on the rich side.

04-16-2002, 10:03 PM
frog...

how do you like your magamaxx II? i just put mine on about a month ago and i got the k&n air filter and rejetted it. i'm liking the new power i have and the sound is awesome...i love passing people and having them aww...

crazy:devil

frogburner
04-16-2002, 10:12 PM
I love the sound of it, and it seems to maybe have a little faster rev but nothing has been rejetted (because of mistakes). But i am running 10 discs in mine. I have noticed though, and it might be because of the pipe, but when your wide open down a road and and let out of it just a little, it will miss for just a little bit. But it may have done that in the beginning though, but overall, i like the MegaMaxII. Heck if you feel like makin noise, take them discs off. I like it though..

400exJOE
04-16-2002, 10:14 PM
That miss you are discribing is because the quad is too lean with the new exhaust. Rejetting will solve that problem.

frogburner
04-16-2002, 10:15 PM
Hey Crazy,,, i forgot to ask,

How does your 400 run with the dyno jets and filter????? Did you cut your airbox ???? Everybody says the 400's are like new bikes after you rejet them, are they????

frogburner
04-16-2002, 10:17 PM
Too lean is what i thought the problem was, but wasnt for sure. I guess i will get the answer to that if i EVER get the Jet kit in it...:confused:

Atomic83
04-16-2002, 10:28 PM
Saturday I decided to re-check my valves because the first time I checked them they didn't need adjusting and I figured they needed it by now. So I got done adjustng them and started putting the caps back on the head and when I was tightning the last one the cap snapped... I was able to tap out the broken threads with a hammer and screwdriver but I couldn't ride the rest of the weekend... I called Terry today and he said he would have me a new cap here by Friday.

04-16-2002, 10:28 PM
hey frog

my machine has never missed yet. the dynokit is amazing. you truly dont get the whole package of adding a pipe on until you rejet it. it pulls twice as much when you have it jetted. also i'm not running any lid at all on my 400. takes in a lot of air and performs awesome. where i live there are barely any people for about 10 miles so i dont have and disks on right now.

i'm thinking about putting my airbox lid back on though right away and rejetting it again because the snow is crazy over here and where it decides to leave there is going to be a lot of water that is going to get into my airbox.

you will notice a huge difference when you rejet it.

crazy

400exJOE
04-16-2002, 10:34 PM
Hey crazy, if you don't have anyone around wouldn't you want it louder and more powerful??? Less disks = less performance and noice. Throw the rest of the disks in and rejet! It should make a huge difference over what you are at now! It will also add noise. A lot of people seem to make this mistake about disks.

04-16-2002, 10:44 PM
440exjoe

thanx for the info...a mechanic that i work with told me that there would be more power if i took off all the disk comepletly...so i did. tomorrow i am going to bring it to the shop anyways and put my 14 tooth sprocket on, rejet it, put my airbox lid on, and put my new tires on. i will se how it goes then

crazy

Chef
04-16-2002, 10:50 PM
Dont worry about breakin it off, just take your time and get it out of there. I broke a main jet off in my FCR, and i was just screwing it in with my fingers when it broke. We just tapped a little flat screw driver in there and got it out like that..good luck

froggieboi
04-16-2002, 11:47 PM
I did the same thing as Alky. I found a small screwdriver and it came right out.

frogburner
04-17-2002, 08:20 AM
Thanks everybody,,, after a long night in the garage last night,, This morning i pulled the carb out and got the broken piece out... 440EXJoe says i dont need the main adapter for the Dynojets, so hopefully i wont have to worry about that... But at least right know, the 400 is back together and i have the stock jet back in it right now.... Theres a guy up here where i live that said he would jet it for me, so i think i will let him mess with it this week.... I was pretty frustrated last night at what i did, but i'll forget about that while i'm in Talladega watching the man "Dale Jr. circle the track this weekend.... Wish me luck on the next try...

04-17-2002, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by frogburner
while i'm in Talladega watching the man "Dale Jr. circle the track this weekend....

You suck...:D

04-17-2002, 07:58 PM
u could always take it to the local honda shop and have them jet your carb for around 50$. true you dont learn anything like that but hey if they break it they buy it. I was thinking about removing the airbox from mine too but powroll makes a really neat airbox lid that is see-thru and has holes already cut in it for 109$ I think I'll just get that

400exJOE
04-17-2002, 08:11 PM
did u say 4109 for a LID??? Thats a lot of cash for a peice of plastic.:eek:

Atomic83
04-17-2002, 08:15 PM
yeah, $109 is crazy for a plastic lid, but that doesn't suprise me though.

04-17-2002, 08:52 PM
I said 109 but I just looked again and I was wrong it is 49.99
still high for plastic but hey its just money

Atomic83
04-17-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by DOD Racing
but hey its just money

I wish I could say that...

two_baaalls
04-18-2002, 09:38 AM
I broke mine off too, called dynojet, and they 2-dayed one to me for free.

04-18-2002, 11:03 AM
A stock honda lid is $6,,,buy it cut holes in it and now I just saved you $44......your welcome..:D

400exBro
04-18-2002, 03:08 PM
The one thing i hate about the jet kit is that they only go up by 5, 150 155 160 etc.. my bike is running a tade rich and i bumped it down to a 155 i haven't tested it yet but i think that is too lean.
they should inclued all the jets that are availbe for the carb.
Maybe it is my needle, which way do you go to lean it out???
thanks
Bro

Atomic83
04-18-2002, 03:14 PM
yeah i'm the same way I can't decide if I need a 155 or 160, i wish they had a 158.