PDA

View Full Version : MXZ clutch ?

4TraxRider
11-11-2004, 02:51 PM
Hey guys, i just got my 97' MXZ 583 out and I'm getting ready for some snow, but I've got a question. I just got it last year, and only got to put about 100 miles on it, before that I had a 75' panther, so I don't have too much experience with it yet. My clutch kicks in at about 5300 rpm, is that a little tal, or is that normal. It just seems like it's past the peak torque by the time it starts going. It seems to have gotten worse the few i did ride it. Any help would be great, thanks.

Quad18star
11-11-2004, 03:51 PM
That does seem a little high before engaging . Did you buy the sled used?? My best guess , is that if you bought it used , the previous owner might have put a clutch kit in the sled . What that means , is a stiffer spring and heavier clutch weights .

I'd have to do a bit of research , and tell you what color Primary spring OEM uses as well as what gram weights they take . Take a look at the clutch and let me know if its a TRA clutch or if it's a Comet Clutch or whatever make it may be .

The previous owner might have done a lot of lake running or riding where the RPMs always need to be high . Nomarl RPM for clutch engage should be about 3900-4200 RPM .

Get back to me with the info on color and weights and I'll see what I can find for you .

400exr
11-11-2004, 07:03 PM
Wow, that sounds a little high!! My sleds used to kick in at 3900-4000 RPM

xsr_racing28c
11-11-2004, 08:54 PM
well first off are you trail riding this thing, or ice draging, or what?? that setup is about perfect for either sno-x or ice drags/radar runs... i had a 03 rev 440, and my clutch engaged at 5650, and that was perfect... your peak hp and torque with most likely come after that 5300 mark, so you should be fine for power, but on the trail that can become very annoying... i know if i put my sled on a hardpacked trail, it would damn near flipover backwards... lol..... i would say that you would prolly wanna be around 4500-4700 for aggressive trail riding.... hope this input helps ~Jason

4TraxRider
11-13-2004, 03:31 PM
Thanks guys, quadstar, im looking at the clutch tomarrow to tell you the info, thanks a bunch. I bought it used with 1800 miles, and the previous owner "only used it on trails" the dealership told me. I use it mostly for hard trail riding and I race SX all winter, but not really seriously, just something to do between mx season. I love the sled but it seems to have a week rear shock, I blew it out last winter twice, and only put between 100-200 miles on it, but did a lot of jumping. Any suggestions for a beafier rear shock?

Quad18star
11-13-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by 4TraxRider
Thanks guys, quadstar, im looking at the clutch tomarrow to tell you the info, thanks a bunch. I bought it used with 1800 miles, and the previous owner "only used it on trails" the dealership told me. I use it mostly for hard trail riding and I race SX all winter, but not really seriously, just something to do between mx season. I love the sled but it seems to have a week rear shock, I blew it out last winter twice, and only put between 100-200 miles on it, but did a lot of jumping. Any suggestions for a beafier rear shock?

Ya let me know all the info on the clutch .... I ahven't had time to go through all my books yet but I will .

Are you riding stock rear shock?? If so junk it and get a better quality . My suggestions are either a Kimpex Pro Gold Shock ( if you're able to get Kimpex stuff in your neck of the woods) , Rife FX Pro Series , like the 9200 series.... or you can get even more expensive and go with an Elka . Some people like riding with the FOX Shocks .... I never had much success with them .

I personally like the Rife FX shocks ... for both front skis and for the rear . The new 9200 series has a ton of different features including the 1 piece extruded aluminum cylinder , anodized alum shock bode , ice scrapers so that it doesnt freeze up on you , raised valve seat piston ... solid teflon piston etc etc .

Also about the previous owner only using it on trails as your dealer told you .... i think they are full of chit . I know guys that work at dealerships .... all the used sleds the sell have been "only trail riding" .... YA ... even that 440 MX ZX Rev all done up for SnowX that sits in the corner of the shop . LOL

Someone that would only use their sled for trail riding would not have played with clutching .... and especially would not have had the clutch engage at such a high RPM . It would make for very difficult trail riding .

4TraxRider
11-15-2004, 08:25 PM
It says comet on it, but I can't see any springs to see what color they are like on my panther. Sorry I can't give much info, I know it's pretty vague so if you can't figure anything out it's alright. Thanks alot.

Quad18star
11-15-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by 4TraxRider
It says comet on it, but I can't see any springs to see what color they are like on my panther. Sorry I can't give much info, I know it's pretty vague so if you can't figure anything out it's alright. Thanks alot.

HAHA ... Alright ... I'll try and figure out what you should be using . Time to do some cross references . Comet colored springs don't match OEM colors . If you happen to take the clutch off and apart ( takes 10 minutes to take the clutch off and 3 minutes to pull it apart) .... let me know what grams the weights are . It'll either be stamped with a # ( like 55.3) or it'll be soemthing like A1 ... A2 ..etc .

Quad18star
11-15-2004, 09:45 PM
So far I've found out that you should run a Green/Blue spring in the original clutch . Thats about all I can find off the net right now .... Its soooo much easier to look in the catalogues ... I might "borrow" a few from work .

But if you got no catalogues laying around and you wanna see about parts and where they go LOL .... check out www.ronnies.com ... click OEM Part link ... then select your make and model and the area you want to research .

Quad18star
11-15-2004, 10:17 PM
Alright ... well guess what I found ?? ;)

Right after I posted my last reply , the little light came on in my head ... why not check out www.kimpex.com ( one of my main suppliers at work )

Anyways ... here is what should be in your sled using a Comet clutch .... this is the calibration for stock settings for this sled . This is using a Comet clutch and comet spring as well as their weights .

Primary spring : Yellow and Green
Weights : A-1 or A-2
Clutch should either be : 108 4-Pro or 108EXP ( I figure its 108 EXP)

KIMPEX PART #'s ARE AS FOLLOWED

Kimpex part # for 108 4-Pro is 03-217604
Part# for 108EXP is 03-217504
Part number for weights is 03-207689 (A-1 .. 48.5grams) ... 03-208221 (A-2 ...48 grams)
Part# for spring is 03-208228

Attention .....For 108 4-Pro clutch ..add weight of 3 cam armsused in EXP or other 3 post clutch, plus 14% and devided by 4. This is the new cam arm weight for the 108 4-Pro.

With a Yellow/Green spring and 48.5 grams ... with everything set up right ... your spring should engage at 4450RPM

With 48gram weights it should engage at 4700RPM

Quad18star
11-15-2004, 10:20 PM
If you want spring specs ... like diameter , tension etc let me know ... or check out www.kimpex.com ... click on snowmobiles and navigate through there . In the clutching section , it had all your clutch engagements with different springs and weights .

Very informative .

86350x
11-16-2004, 02:05 AM
www.dootalk.com

My bud has an mxz583, he has his engagement at 4800. Goodwin performance makes good clutch kits for skidoo twins. But I'd just find out what parts to buy and grab them, for less money.

Try gregs setup, looks like he did alot of research on it. I like ride fx also, but my ohlins clickers are the ****.

If you got a whole different rear skid, ExpertX by ad boivin is the only wat to go.

Quad18star
11-16-2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by 86350x
www.dootalk.com

My bud has an mxz583, he has his engagement at 4800. Goodwin performance makes good clutch kits for skidoo twins. But I'd just find out what parts to buy and grab them, for less money.

Try gregs setup, looks like he did alot of research on it. I like ride fx also, but my ohlins clickers are the ****.

If you got a whole different rear skid, ExpertX by ad boivin is the only wat to go.

I almost forgot about Ohlins . My cousin has them on his SRX or SX-R ( can't remember which it is) and WOW ..... really improves the handling . You can really notice the difference when you start playing with the adjustments.

86350x
11-16-2004, 11:06 AM
I want one of those expert x skids too though, go to there sight.

Lets see if this works. www.adboivin.com

Quad18star
11-16-2004, 11:29 AM
Hrmmm .... that's an interesting concept . Looks like it would work fairly well . Didn't Ski-Doo come out with a design simular to that a few years back??

86350x
11-16-2004, 11:31 AM
These guys make upgrades for the DSA skids. I think they do alot of work with and for skidoo.

Quad18star
11-16-2004, 11:34 AM
I'd like to try their new SnowHawk .... those things look fun as hell . It's like a dirtbike on a ski . LOL

86350x
11-16-2004, 11:37 AM
I don't think it would work very well on groomed trails. But for back country riding it looks awesome, hard to get stuck.

Its in the 2scs vids.

I wouldn't mind haveing one, but I don't have anymore room.:confused:

Quad18star
11-16-2004, 11:40 AM
I don't think it would work very well on groomed trails. But for back country riding it looks awesome, hard to get stuck.

Its in the 2scs vids.

I wouldn't mind haveing one, but I don't have anymore room.:confused:

HAHAHA ... yeah I think on a groomed trail , it would want to dart all over the place .

And there's always room .... a few 2X4's and a few sheets of plywood and you have an expanded shed or garage . :blah:

86350x
11-16-2004, 11:44 AM
Lol, if I bought one more thing, it would either be a 4x4 quad, or a snowmobile for snow x(f7 snow pro). After I beat a few hopped up 450's with the shee I don't want one of those anymore.

Quad18star
11-16-2004, 11:49 AM
I was told by my doctor that I can't ride for atleast another 6 months ...so there goes my winter and my plans of buying a sled .

My next purchase is either a new truck or a fishing boat . A nice 17 foot Lund boat with an 80 on the back of it would go great up at the cottage for next summer .

I was planning on getting back into racing next summer with my 450 , but now that we bought the cottage , that has all seemed to fade away . Priorities and interests are changing . I'll keep the 450 for some fast road riding at the cottage and blasting through the trails .

86350x
11-16-2004, 12:02 PM
A girl I talk to on the sledneck board sent me a map. Man you live a ways away from the bridge even.

That sucks dude:(

My bro has a 17.5 foot lund, its an awesome boat, can't ya just get a nice little row boat, and keep that money for a sled put away:D

Keep the 450, gotta have at least 1 toy:cool:

Quad18star
11-16-2004, 12:09 PM
A girl I talk to on the sledneck board sent me a map. Man you live a ways away from the bridge even.

That sucks dude:(

My bro has a 17.5 foot lund, its an awesome boat, can't ya just get a nice little row boat, and keep that money for a sled put away:D

Keep the 450, gotta have at least 1 toy:cool:

Who's the girl that you talk to on slednecks??? I've been talking with one chick that lives about 2 hours away from me for a while now .

I'm 3 hours from the International Bridge , depending on how fast I go . LOL . How far are you from Sault Ste Marie?? I might be going up to the Sault the weekend of December 3rd to watch the Stud Boy World Cup at Searchmont Resort . It's a sick snowcross race if you've never been to it .

I already have 2 boats ... ones a nice little 12 footer with a 7.5 on it , which I use for fishing remote lakes ( easy to carry on your shoulders) and I have a 14 footer with 20 that I use on some of the larger lakes . It just sucks when it takes 30 minutes to go 5 miles down the lake . So a new fishing boat would be nice ... down the lake in 4 minutes :devil:

LTandRaptorider
11-16-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I was told by my doctor that I can't ride for atleast another 6 months ...so there goes my winter and my plans of buying a sled .

My next purchase is either a new truck or a fishing boat . A nice 17 foot Lund boat with an 80 on the back of it would go great up at the cottage for next summer .

I was planning on getting back into racing next summer with my 450 , but now that we bought the cottage , that has all seemed to fade away . Priorities and interests are changing . I'll keep the 450 for some fast road riding at the cottage and blasting through the trails .

get the boat, and water skis for me! :D

Quad18star
11-16-2004, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
get the boat, and water skis for me! :D

HAHAHA .... well if you're gunna get on the skis, I'm buy 120HP boat .... get ready for the ride of your life . Water SKIS for you ... water SKI for me . ;)

LTandRaptorider
11-16-2004, 02:07 PM
HAHAHA .... well if you're gunna get on the skis, I'm buy 120HP boat .... get ready for the ride of your life . Water SKIS for you ... water SKI for me . ;)

:eek: :D

ain't skeered! :p

and I won't even comment about you just needing one ski! :eek2: :D

Quad18star
11-16-2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
:eek: :D

ain't skeered! :p

and I won't even comment about you just needing one ski! :eek2: :D

Ya ... don't comment on that one . LOL

I'll show you my skills at barefoot .
I might get a wakeboard , but I don't know how well a Lund would throw a wake behind it .

86350x
11-17-2004, 02:22 AM
Who's the girl that you talk to on slednecks??? I've been talking with one chick that lives about 2 hours away from me for a while now .

I'm 3 hours from the International Bridge , depending on how fast I go . LOL . How far are you from Sault Ste Marie?? I might be going up to the Sault the weekend of December 3rd to watch the Stud Boy World Cup at Searchmont Resort . It's a sick snowcross race if you've never been to it .

I already have 2 boats ... ones a nice little 12 footer with a 7.5 on it , which I use for fishing remote lakes ( easy to carry on your shoulders) and I have a 14 footer with 20 that I use on some of the larger lakes . It just sucks when it takes 30 minutes to go 5 miles down the lake . So a new fishing boat would be nice ... down the lake in 4 minutes :devil:

Lol, I live in the tip of the thumb in the lower penninsula. I do alot of traveling:ermm:

I think it takes about 6 hrs to get to there. I drive 75 to 80mph too. Sled chick from fredrick right??? Thats the chick I've pmed back and forth a few times with. If I have time to check it out, and if theres snow up there (fingers still crossed!) then yead I'd deffinantly go.

Seems like you can't make up your mind on what to buy. I'd say make due with what you have unless you do alot of boating, and there's party spots for boats.

I always see boats for sale, just because they can be a pain in the *** to get launched ect. They are expensive toys, for sure.

If your on a budget, get a nice used snowmobile. If you find one with a good chassis, and all it needs is a motor rebuild then thats the way to go. If you want a streat racing quad, pick up a used banshee. Send the motor to A&S racing right here in michigan. www.bansheeracing.com

Tear it apart and customize it yourself.

Or you could get an extended swinger for the yfz, and go from there.

Depending on your budget you could swing all three. How do you think I ended up with so much stuff:confused: Not paying big bucks that's for sure.

120hp on a 17ft lund, I don't think so. My bro has a 90hp johnson on his, I think thats even a bit much.

Quad18star
11-17-2004, 02:24 PM
Ya man ... it's sooo hard making up my mind ... one of my downfalls . It took me about 1 1/2 years to decide on a quad ... and I finally ended up with the YFZ .

I'd love to put a 120 on the back of the boat just to pull Bart behind it lol .

Hehee .. I knwo the chick from sled necks that you're been talking with ... shes a wikkid girl .... lives not far from me . Shes supposed to come down and party with me and maybe go up to the races in the Sault together .

86350x
11-18-2004, 12:25 AM
Ya man ... it's sooo hard making up my mind ... one of my downfalls . It took me about 1 1/2 years to decide on a quad ... and I finally ended up with the YFZ .

I'd love to put a 120 on the back of the boat just to pull Bart behind it lol .

Hehee .. I knwo the chick from sled necks that you're been talking with ... shes a wikkid girl .... lives not far from me . Shes supposed to come down and party with me and maybe go up to the races in the Sault together .

Looks pretty good:confused:

Have at it, The only good looking girls here are 2 to 3 hrs away:ermm:

She's gonna have to do all of the work with that star wars cast in all.:p

I suggest you buy a used sled, 03f7 or a mxz670 ho. You can't have a girl that rides and not have a machine yourself :D

Quad18star
11-18-2004, 11:15 AM
She told me she's got 2 sleds , but wants to trade them in on a new Renegade .... I'll ride 2up with her . :blah:

86350x
11-18-2004, 12:04 PM
lol