PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problem

keljas21
11-11-2004, 01:56 PM
I have a problem with stock 400ex head lights, the lights keep on blowing the 15 amp fuse, what could the problem be I just put a new light bulb harness on because the socket on the right side of the old one wasrusted out because water got in it, I was only running one head light before and there was no problem, do you think it is running to much power, would a 20 amp fuse fry the wires?

FasstMidnightZ
11-11-2004, 03:29 PM
i dont know but someone on here should

Mikesamillion
11-11-2004, 04:31 PM
i had the same problem when i got my used 01 400. It took about 6 hours start to finish to fix the problem but here is what i did.

First take off all the body work (plastic) it helps getting to all the clips and plugs of the wiring harness.

Second start at the battery and open up (remove all electical tape and such) the wiring harness from the battery to the light switch on the grip mount.

Third take your time and go over every wire and individually wrap any wire that is pinched, burnt, or bare in anyway. Basicly make sure there is no bare spots in the wire that could be grounding out.

Forth plug the harness back together and test. If you dont pop a fuse retape and cover all the harness and reinstall your plastics.

Mine quad had a 25 amp fuse in it when I got it(and it still does). Not sure if this is the correct size or not but I havent had any problems with it. When I cut open my harness I found numerous burnt/bare wires that needed fixing(even in the light switch houseing). Some of which I replaced/spliced in a whole new wire. Its a pain in the butt time wise but it has been working like a champ for about a month now. And was a whole lot cheaper than just replacing the whole harness.

Mikesamillion
11-11-2004, 04:33 PM
also make sure to check the wires that run through the metal part of the head light bulb socket. That was one of my grounding out problems too... I hope this helps in some way.