PDA

View Full Version : How old is Grandma??

Foxyangel0425
11-11-2004, 12:40 PM
How old is Grandma?
>
>Stay with this -- the answer is at the end and will surprise you.
>
>One evening a grandson was talking to his grandmother about current events.
>The grandson asked his grandmother what she thought about the shootings at
>schools, the computer age, and just things in general.
>
>The Grandma replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born, before
>television, penicillin, polio shots, frozen foods, Xerox, contact lenses,
>Frisbees and the pill.
>
>There were no credit cards, laser beams or ball-point pens.
>
>Man had not invented pantyhose, air conditioners, dishwashers, clothes
>dryers, and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and man had
>yet to walk on the moon.
>
>Your Grandfather and I got married first and then lived together.
&g! t;
>Every family had a father and a mother.
>
>Until I was 25, I called every man older than I, "Sir"- - and after I
>turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title,
>"Sir."
>
>We were before gay-rights, computer-dating, dual careers, daycare centers,
>and group therapy.
>
>Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common
>sense. We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong, and
>to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.
>
>Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger
>privilege. We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.
>
>Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.
>
>Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening
>breeze started.
>
>Time-sharing! Meant time the family spent tog! ether in the evenings and
>weekends -- not purchas! ing cond ominiums.
>
>We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt,
>or guys wearing earrings.
>
>We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on
>our radios.
>
>And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out from listening to
>Tommy Dorsey.
>
>If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan' on it, it was junk.
>
>The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.
>
>Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.
>
>We had 5 &10-cent store where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10
>cents.
>
>Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a
>nickel.
>
>If you wanted to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to
>mail one letter and two postcards.
>
>You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600 bu! t who could afford one?
>
>Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.
>
>In my day, "grass" was mowed, "coke" was a cold drink, "pot" was something
>your mother cooked in, and "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.
>
>"Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office, "chip" meant a piece of
>wood, "hardware" was found in a hardware store, and "software" wasn't even
>a word.
>
>And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a
>husband to have a baby.
>
>No wonder people call us"old and confused" and say there is a generation
>gap.....and how old do you think I am ???.....
>
>Read on to see -- Pretty scary if you think about it, and rather sad at the
>same time.
>
>
>
>
>
>t;
>
>
>
>
>
>Grandma is Only 58.
>Born in 1946...

FourFiftyFour
11-11-2004, 12:49 PM
thats how old my dad is lol

LazeR
11-11-2004, 02:52 PM
i should ask my grandma about that....shes 60 i think

450Racer
11-11-2004, 03:25 PM
jeez. the world is changing...for the better. i wander what the next fifty eight years has to come for us?

Scott-300ex
11-11-2004, 08:21 PM
ball-point pens:confused:

:p

polabareus
11-11-2004, 08:40 PM
When I was born there were no 4 wheelers, no nintendo's, no microsoft windows, no dna testing, no cellphones,no stupid reality tv shows, and there wasn't a consenses decree on "3 wheeled all terrain vehicles". And whoop dee do, I'm only 22!

honda350r
11-11-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Scott-300ex
ball-point pens:confused:

:p

Yeah really! I hate Bullsiot storys !

http://www.ideafinder.com/history/inventions/story055.htm

honda350r
11-11-2004, 09:25 PM
So much forthe instant coffee!

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blcoffee.htm

Quad18star
11-12-2004, 12:03 AM
Ive heard the stories many times from my parents about being able to go to the corner store with 10cents and get a pop , chip, and chocolate bar .

I still remember when I was younger I used to be able to go to the store and for 25 cents they would fill up a small candy bag to the top with different candies . ( I'm only 21 also) .... Now good luck if they give you 5 candies for that Quarter .

I remember when i got my Nintendo as a kid ... when Ghostbusters were "kool" and the christmas that I got every piece of the Teenage Mutan Ninja Turtles ( Blimp and sewers included) . I remember watching Sesame Street ... not Sesame Park . Inspector Gadget ... not Barney and Friends .

Sponge Bob Square Pants ..... now WTF kind of show is that . When I'm a parent there is no way in hell my kids are gunna watch that ..... I'll be buying all the Looney Tunes collection for them to watch .

86350x
11-12-2004, 02:45 AM
Yeah, cartoons now days are retarded. I used to build **** with legos and ride my dirtbike more then anything else.

Most things have gotten pretty expensive too.

If I ever have any kids, I'll try to keep em outdoors as much as possible.

gate_keeper_32
11-12-2004, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by 450Racer
jeez. the world is changing...for the better. i wander what the next fifty eight years has to come for us?

For the better????:huh

I think things have gone waaay down hill.

I am 33 and lived in a time where:

Candy bars were 25 cents

I could ride on anyones land without being chased off.

People would accually stop and help you along side the road.

Getting sued for spilling coffee on someones lap was unheard of.

If a deal was made, there was no need for IOU's or receipts, trust through a handshake was all we needed.

People nowadays are greedy, selfish, and lazy. If having to do something doesnt result in benifitting themselves in any way, it doesnt get done.

"Whats mine is yours and whats yours is mine" has been changed to:
"Hurray for me and the hell with you".

I know that 33 isnt THAT old, but I am old enough to see how things have changed, mostly for the worse.

But of course, this is just my opinion.

TheX1992
11-12-2004, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by gate_keeper_32
For the better????:huh

I think things have gone waaay down hill.

I am 33 and lived in a time where:

Candy bars were 25 cents

I could ride on anyones land without being chased off.

People would accually stop and help you along side the road.

Getting sued for spilling coffee on someones lap was unheard of.

If a deal was made, there was no need for IOU's or receipts, trust through a handshake was all we needed.

People nowadays are greedy, selfish, and lazy. If having to do something doesnt result in benifitting themselves in any way, it doesnt get done.

"Whats mine is yours and whats yours is mine" has been changed to:
"Hurray for me and the hell with you".

I know that 33 isnt THAT old, but I am old enough to see how things have changed, mostly for the worse.

But of course, this is just my opinion.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Pretty pathetic isn't it?

TRX250X
11-12-2004, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star

Sponge Bob Square Pants ..... now WTF kind of show is that . When I'm a parent there is no way in hell my kids are gunna watch that ..... I'll be buying all the Looney Tunes collection for them to watch .

No joke. Bugs Bunny is still the best cartoon ever.

450Racer
11-12-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by TheX1992
Couldn't have said it better myself. Pretty pathetic isn't it?

yes. you are right. there are ups and downs. technology is much better, but the economy is horrible, terror is horrible. the thing i don't understand when people say about 10 cents for this and that...you made what a buck an hour to get that? the value of money was much lower, it's actually no different from today. i hate the technicalities of today. i'm only fifteen so i haven't first hand seen things change. but i do know there are some off the wall things i see that are ridiculus.

Quad18star
11-12-2004, 10:47 AM
Now days , if people wanted to , they could sit at home in front of their computer and never leave . You can do ALL your shopping ( clothes , food, whatever) all online . Really a person doesn't need to leave their home .

Everyday you see a new "study" on TV that says ... " Don't drink milk .. it might cause cancer " " Drink milk ... it helps lower the risk of getting cancer " ... like chit .. I wonder why it might cause cancer ?? Maybe all the preservative they add to it?? Hrmmm .

What ever happened to owning a cow and milking the damn thing yourself and having FRESH milk ??

Now days people are just too damn lazy ... yet everyone is in a rush . And for what reason is everyone in a rush for?? Most of the time it's not to get home to their families , cuz now days something like 70% of marriages end in divorce.... more like people want to get home so they can sit on their couch ... eat potatoe chips and watch tv .

darrell43031
11-12-2004, 11:51 AM
no s**t I'm only 23 and i can remember no nintendo or computers. the first computer i can ever remember is a commodor64 that had pong and a TAPE!! drive. then atari then nintendo. and i remember getting the teenage muntant ninja turtles for cristmas to. if though we're not old things have changed alot for us too. besides how many people do you know that there first ride was an honda atc 70? alot of people when you say atc they try to correct you and say atv! i've only had that happen like 3 times though.

FourFiftyFour
11-12-2004, 12:09 PM
lol i was a huge fan of teenage mutant ninja turtles

n00b on a 400ex
11-12-2004, 02:27 PM
when i was born in the late 80's, we had all the good stuff, we didnt have no "YFZ" or "400ex", no, we had the good quads, 250rs, LT500s, 3-wheelers, $hitty computers.

hmm...what i predict in 2050:
the all new hydrogen fuel-cell powered 125r, capable of a earth shattering 50mph!, this is gonna be more popular then flies on turds. with mobile couches meand youll never havw to do more then lift a checkbook, computers linked to your mind so you dont have to type. whats in the news: ape rights, why cant all upright mammals have the same rights as we do? its racism at its worst

polabareus
11-12-2004, 11:54 PM
Reading some of these posts leads me to believe that a lot of you think things have actually gotten worse as time goes on. Sure, some things have changed for the worse, but so many more things have changed for the better. Somebody mentioned the economy is terrible now. Perhaps you would like to travel back to the great depression, or the late 70's when interest rates were in the 20's. Try buying a house when the interest rate on your loan is 22%. OUCH. And yes, terrorism is "terrible" but I think it is turning out to be a lot easier to handle than Germany and Japan were in world war II. Or how about the constant threat of nuclear ahnililation from the Soviet Union that lasted from the very late 40's until the early 90's?, do you want to go back to that? We all thought sept. 11th was bad (which don't get me wrong, it was) but what if all of New York and all of L. A. and all of Chicago....and so on....were completely destroyed. C'mon folks, let's be a little bit more optomistic here. If I've completely lost you with all the other stuff I mentioned this should hammer my point home, would you rather not have exriders.com? or honda ex's at all just so you can go get a whole bunch of stupid candy for a dime?

HtFoxChick
11-13-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Quad18star

You don't like Spongebob?:( I have a Spongebob clock, radio, etc., etc.,:rolleyes: I just think it's a funny show myself. There's a movie coming out in threatre's soon! I'll be there!:D I can't help it....I enjoy a good laugh! I know, I know...I'm just a weirdo!:rolleyes:

The guys a sponge, for Gods sake, that wears a Speedo!! Hahahaha