PDA

View Full Version : Piston Help???

1fast450R
11-10-2004, 05:12 PM
I just got my JE 13:1 piston, I am putting it in this week end. This will be my first time putting a piston in, with one of my buddies help who is pretty good at it of course...lol... Anyways, the 3 rings are different, wich ring goes where? Thanks for the help... Also I got sunoco 114 octane fuel today, will I need to mix with premium or will it be ok to run it Straight???

1fast450R
11-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Anyone???

450 Racer R
11-10-2004, 08:00 PM
I don't have an answer for you... But I'm wondering how hard is it to replace the piston? What happens with the cam chain when pulling off the cylinder?

team_450_88
11-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Replacing a pistons isnt 2 hard, the cam chain will half to be tooken off, if u are taking the cam out mark it so u dont half to get it back in time. On tha race gas question to tell u the truth u can run just straight 93 buttt...it will run better on race gas or race gas mixed with 93. If I was you I would just mix the race gas with the pump gas. My buddy has a yfz with the 13:1 piston and runs 93 pump gas, but if u meant 13.8-1 ur gonna wanna run straight race gas because thats almost 14 compresion

Kilabanshee
11-10-2004, 08:09 PM
When you take the cylinder head you would losen the cam chain tenshoner bult to remove the cam. After that if you give it alittle turn in it should go back to its normall setting and you really shouldn't have to worry because it really cant fall into the cylinder if that tenshioner bult is fastened correctly. Installing pistons really isnot hard but is a difficult task your first time doing it.

450 Racer R
11-10-2004, 08:21 PM
I've never done a 4 stroke before. I'm still getting used to the whole cam and valves thing... So you just have to remove that sprocket from the cam? And I guess just be careful not to turn the engine over while the cam is undone right? I don't know, I'll have to study my service manual :mad:

1fast450R
11-10-2004, 08:32 PM
A guy from Team Honda just called me and gave me a few pointers on installing, he said to keep the cam chain from droping into the engine use a piece of wire to tie it up to the fram. He said everything you need is right in the service manual. He also said it was about a 2 hour job. Im glad to know I have Team Hondas support...

team_450_88
11-10-2004, 08:38 PM
lol u dont have there support, u have there advice...if u had there support they would be doing it for you..**** my local shop charges so high for labor I learn how to do stuff myself!!

450 Racer R
11-10-2004, 08:41 PM
^Not only the high price, but I don't think I could call something mine if someone else did all the work

team_450_88
11-10-2004, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by 450 Racer R
^Not only the high price, but I don't think I could call something mine if someone else did all the work

thats so da** tru...If u didnt build it, it aint yours you payed for it....We built a crf quad and that means building from frame up and I felt like I started with nothing and it means alot more to you when you build it. now I have a 450r and I just added alot of mods, didnt build or work on the frame or half to weld tabs for the radiator or any fab. like u would for the crf !!

1fast450R
11-10-2004, 08:45 PM
He offered to come help me but I live about 2 hours from wheres we are located at now, I'm at college now... My R is at home///:(

I also like to do stuff my self, even though I have never done most of it, you always learn from your mistakes...

RedRacer44
11-11-2004, 01:08 AM
The motor will be fine w/ running the fuel 50/50 but it will run considerably better if you run it straight. I ran 50/50 while we rode at the dunes and the local trails but for the last race I threw it in straight, wow! It ran sooo much better. If ya can afford to run it straight all the time, I'd recommend doing that. Better for your motor also running it straight, burns cleaner and cooler :devil:

I run TrackTek 105 oxygenated and its some good stuff, along with the regular TrackTek 111 which is good too. Never tried the Sunoco race fuel. VP is good stuff and if you ever get the chance to run ELF race fuel and have $60 to pay for 5 gallons, buy that stuff! Its freakin' ridiculous! Awesome stuff....

1fast450R
11-11-2004, 07:25 AM
I can get my fuel free...lol... My dads bosses grandson races cars and he keeps it by the 1000 gallons....lol...