PDA

View Full Version : Wet fouling

stocktires
11-10-2004, 11:19 AM
I re-jetted my R a few days ago and rode it sunday. She ran awesome, but after an hour or two I noticed the power slightly starting to drop off. I figured it was my plug, and it was. Wet-fouled like always. What should I do get the the brown paper bag color? I know I need to go leaner, but should I go leaner on the main? needle? needle clip? Everything? Any suggestions?

Pappy
11-10-2004, 11:22 AM
im no expert but i have an R that did that and after trying several jetting combos i started back at square one and adjusted the oil ratio. its been awhile but i think we figured it was to high of a ratio and the oil wasnt letting the gas completely burn.

im sure one of these R eficinados will offer something more for ya:p

Roostin250R
11-10-2004, 11:49 AM
Is it missing through out any part of of the throttle when your on the gas?? what type of carb, mods, etc? if its only missing at wide open throttle, then your main jet is to rich. go down one at a time and do your plug chops for color. If its missing from 1/4 to half throttle then your needle jet is to rich and needs to be leaned out. If its missing from idle to 1/4 throttle then your pilot jet is to rich and you need to go down in size. Remember, if its only missing in one part of the throttle range, do your plug chops for that range only, and use a new plug when you do it. You can still use the plug later. Just be sure to start with a fresh plug so you can get an accurate reading.

stocktires
11-10-2004, 11:54 AM
Thanx paps, I'll keep that in mind.

Roostin, I'm runningthe stock carb with an aftermarket float bowl on it. Cool head, 19cc dome, CR reed cage, slight porting, and fmf exhaust. The bike is running great. That's why I was asking what to do. I basically know how to jet a carb.

Roostin250R
11-10-2004, 05:11 PM
Sounds like you are close then. I assume it's cutting out on full throttle? Maybe just go down one size on your main jet or if the day your were riding was warmer than usual or more humid, that can have an effect also as I'm sure you know. If your running your airbox lid, try and remove it and ride it and see if that helps the situation any. I personally ride in a wide swing of temps some days, (cool dry mornings, warm humid afternoons) and my quad will run quite differently. I run a 38 airstryker on mine with a power jet to help with jetting.

kyex40047
11-10-2004, 06:59 PM
What type of reeds are you running? Mine did that, it fouled one out during eah race, and i could not figure it out. I just so happen to pull my reeds out and two of the pedals were blown off. They were sucked into my engine. I have Delta v force and this is the second time in 6 months. Look at them, i am not saying that is it but just keep an eye on them

stocktires
11-10-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Roostin250R
I assume it's cutting out on full throttle?

no, it runs perfect. It wasn't the weather or humidity. I already removed my airbox lid trying to lean it out. What's a power jet? I guess I'm gonna try going down one size on everything. Should I move the needle clip?

kyex, Thanx for the idea. I might check them, but they're brand new. Ya never know though, I guess.

Roostin250R
11-11-2004, 02:12 AM
You only need to move the needle clip if the quad is missing in the throttle range that the needle effects. if it is not, there is no need to move it. You said in your original post that you "rejetted" the carb, what changes did you make from before? A powerjet is a jet that is installed on the large bell area (intake side) of the carb that has a dial adjustment on it for fine tuning. Mainly effects the main jet. You just turn the dial richer or leaner depending on the conditons. It works great and saves me alot of jet changes.