PDA

View Full Version : A Little Tire Help Fellas

Wayne64SS
11-09-2004, 09:24 PM
Hey guys heres what i got for mods. HMF full system, uni filter, hrc kit 13t front sprocket and bald as hell stock tires. I wanna buy a set of good tires for next season but i can't make up my mind on just one. I really like both the Maxxis Razr2 and Holeshot HD. I do mostly trail riding with frequent trips on the trail to the rock quarry (all shale bed lots of rocks kickin round) quite a bit of mud... just about everything you'd encounter on a trail ride LoL. Whenever my buddy and i line to race (hes got a 400ex stage 1 cam, k&n, hmf full system and 14t front sprocket) he disgraces me out of the hole. i spin all the way hrough third and then catch up and fly past but it still looks silly with a 400 being ahead of a 450 for that length of time. Anyway i have several concerns when purchasing a tire. The stock tires offer absolutely no sidewall rim protection from rocks as my rims are beat to poop. If either of these tires offered such a feature it would be a big *** plus! I want the absolute best tire for my money that is going to be the best handling and traction wise in the conditions i ride in. I know with all the info on here someone can help me out!

joedirt
11-09-2004, 09:38 PM
Go with the Razr2s awesome tire for your use. It will hold up to the rock abuse and you should get pretty good tread life out of them. Go with Razr2 fronts as well

jmpulse
11-09-2004, 11:54 PM
Razr2

the Z Man
11-10-2004, 12:15 AM
Holeshot HD's in the rear,, 20"
Holeshot xc fronts,, 21"
Go with the re-inforced rims, you can usually get the +1 offset in the front for optimal handling,, jmo,,,Z

JDH
11-10-2004, 12:25 AM
I have holeshot hds and I love them. they are 20-11-9 and I have no problem with rocks or mud. great tire not sure as to which might hold up better razors or hd's.

the Z Man
11-10-2004, 12:28 AM
I have 4 two hour harescrambles which were reaalllly rough, and the 12 Hours Of ATV America on them and still have zero problems. I do recomend rotate and turn the tires to keep even wear, Z

jeepnrocks
11-10-2004, 05:40 AM
im running i razrs fron and rear and love them. they grab like crazy and have beefier side lugz than the razr 2, but i think the razr 2 will wear a little bit better. my friend has the razr 2's and we always ride trogether so i'll find out which wears better eventually.
You also may want to look at the irazr fronts even if you decide on the razr2 rears. irazrs are 6 ply radials and have a lil bit better ride than the bias ply

Wayne64SS
11-10-2004, 06:39 AM
Originally posted by jeepnrocks
im running i razrs fron and rear and love them. they grab like crazy and have beefier side lugz than the razr 2, but i think the razr 2 will wear a little bit better. my friend has the razr 2's and we always ride trogether so i'll find out which wears better eventually.
You also may want to look at the irazr fronts even if you decide on the razr2 rears. irazrs are 6 ply radials and have a lil bit better ride than the bias ply

razr2s are 6 ply brother ..... unless somebody is doin some false advertising??!?!?

where can i get reinforced rims?? I checked into those sick lookin HiPer Carbon Beadlocks and i seen a set on ebay for like $750 for just rims???? Is this really what these things are goin for? I am ok with say $400 on rims but i aint gonna get a set of rims that damn near 800 bucks. I can buy another set of gold and chrome 13's for my chevy for that! LoL

jeepnrocks
11-10-2004, 07:00 AM
I never said razr2's weren't 6 ply ?
I said the i razr is a RADIAL 6 PLY. I thought everyone knew razr 2's were 6 ply bias .

Wayne64SS
11-10-2004, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by jeepnrocks
I never said razr2's weren't 6 ply ?
I said the i razr is a RADIAL 6 PLY. I thought everyone knew razr 2's were 6 ply bias .

they are a bias ply tire?? something i didnt know. good lookin out bro. are there any major drawbacks to having bias ply's on a quad. i know on a car they went away from that years ago cause they sucked. but i dont knwo about a quad? do you think these would fit me better than a holeshot hd? so far from all the responses and all i've read through the search button im leaning towards the razr2s

Jersey450R
11-10-2004, 07:39 AM
this might be a stupid question, but what is a bias ply tire?

exrider44
11-10-2004, 08:33 AM
People tell me the stock tires are better for whoops then the aftermarket ones. I dont know though. Wayne Id spend the $$ on hipers they are tottally worth it if you never wanna buy rims again. I have a set and Ive been able to ride home on a flat without the tire coming off the rim a bunch of times. Best thing I ever bought for my quad.

Wayne64SS
11-10-2004, 09:42 AM
yea but its an awful lot of money to spend on something thats gonna get the **** beat out of it on rocks etc. i dont slow down for ****

Shawn H
11-10-2004, 09:57 AM
Razor2's are great tire's I raced the whole season with them and had no problems and they still have a good amount of tread left!

Next year I will be running razor rears and razor2's up front!

Hipers hold up better than other rims even in the rough stuff if you break a rim which is really hard to do you can replace that part> Fronts are like 177 each and the rears are like 188 or close to that> You may find better deals.

Good luck either tire you choose is far better than the stockers:cool:

Wayne64SS
11-10-2004, 10:15 AM
cool man thanks for the help. i think im just gonna get razr2s and put em on my stock rims. hipers are too much $$ and if im gonna get rims i might as well get the ones i want!

450rRIPPER
11-10-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Wayne64SS
razr2s are 6 ply brother ..... unless somebody is doin some false advertising??!?!?

where can i get reinforced rims?? I checked into those sick lookin HiPer Carbon Beadlocks and i seen a set on ebay for like $750 for just rims???? Is this really what these things are goin for? I am ok with say $400 on rims but i aint gonna get a set of rims that damn near 800 bucks. I can buy another set of gold and chrome 13's for my chevy for that! LoL

You are not going to pick up a set of gold and chome Daytons for $800. :D It's nice to see I'am not the only lowrider on this site. I got an 89 towncar with Showtime hydraulics 14/7 gold and chome Daytons. But some ********* with no Insurance backed his truck down the passanger side of my ride. So its up at the paint shop now.:bandit: I am going to get the HiPer's this spring hopefully. As for tires my Irazr's are the bomb.

Wayne64SS
11-10-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by 450rRIPPER
You are not going to pick up a set of gold and chome Daytons for $800. :D It's nice to see I'am not the only lowrider on this site. I got an 89 towncar with Showtime hydraulics 14/7 gold and chome Daytons. But some ********* with no Insurance backed his truck down the passanger side of my ride. So its up at the paint shop now.:bandit: I am going to get the HiPer's this spring hopefully. As for tires my Irazr's are the bomb.

nah def not Daytons but you can get some McLeans for that price. I knwo cause i got em once already ;) No point gettin daytons in upstate ny our weather and potholes dont warrant destroying such a nice rim LoL. My car is laid up too ... my damn garage fell on it and now im starin at like $12g in body work ouch.

450rRIPPER
11-10-2004, 11:45 AM
That sucks BIG-TIME. Do you need all the body parts? If so how are you planing on getting them? My friend has a 64, he had it for 5 years and has not done one thing to it. I bet he would sell it, He's hurt'in for cash right now. I live just south of Pittsburgh, Pa .

Wayne64SS
11-10-2004, 12:34 PM
is it an SS? i can only have an OG SS car ... just somethign about em. Hit me back on this lemme know what he wants!

450rRIPPER
11-10-2004, 01:12 PM
It's not an SS. I still let you know if he wants to sell it.

craftyex
11-10-2004, 01:28 PM
razr2 up front and razr in the rear. save up for the hiper rims. worth every penny!!

Wayne64SS
11-10-2004, 01:50 PM
why razr2 in front then razr in rear? If i buy tires i want all 4 to match exactly cause it looks better. Especially when Razr2s have raised yellow lettering on them. just curious as to the reason for mixing tire combos?

craftyex
11-10-2004, 01:55 PM
i like the razor rears better than razor2 rear. imo the rear razr2 tread is placed a little to close together. both will suite you fine, go razr2 all around if you want the same.

jeepnrocks
11-10-2004, 02:11 PM
hipers are 3 piece also, so if you would say crack your outside rim then you would only have to replace that part. This could actually save a few bucks in the long run.

the Z Man
11-10-2004, 04:27 PM
Try the ITP Baja SEries rime, they have the re-inforced rings with out the price killing the Hypers have, so, you may save a few pounds, I would rather save hundreds and use it on something more worth my time , like, suspension!!!!! jmo Z

jgfarmsracer
11-10-2004, 05:48 PM
Z man you got it so spend it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jgfarmsracer
11-10-2004, 05:49 PM
they don't put it $$$$$$ in your casket!!!1

the Z Man
11-11-2004, 12:24 PM
J Farm, if I had your money I would throw mine away,,,,
See you this weekend, I will have all your money accept, someone is going to be 20 short, my third leg didn't pay, so you boys will have to arm wrestle for it,,,,,
I'll bring the swing arm and shock too,, Thanks a million for the carrier, we wouldn't have finished the race with my shtuff,
Bring some of that strong beer with ya,a ll we have is that piss water in Iowa, lol
Z

Shawn H
11-11-2004, 02:42 PM
J-farm

20 of that goes to me biatch for them there tires:macho