PDA

View Full Version : Northern Lights

JUSTINcredible
11-09-2004, 08:47 PM
Has anybody else seen them the past few nights? I know sunday it was pretty crazy for a while around 9pm. green and purple waving all around. last night i didnt see them but a guy i work with said he seen them for a little but no where near what they were in sunday.

smith_400ex_213
11-09-2004, 09:28 PM
hey yea i seen them....my grandfather was up in ashland wisconsin coming south and said they were so thick they even coverd the southern part of the sky too

HtFoxChick
11-09-2004, 09:30 PM
I saw them Monday night. Around 6:30 and when I looked again at 9, they were gone. But, it was pretty neat.

Quad18star
11-09-2004, 10:51 PM
They were really dancing Sunday like you said . It was a nice cold clear night ... they were perfect.

Admin
11-10-2004, 11:20 AM
I guess those Canadians are really partying it up to create such a light show:D

Quad18star
11-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by EXriders Admin
I guess those Canadians are really partying it up to create such a light show:D :devil: :p

It's rockin' up here . :blah: I'm guessing you seen the Budweiser ( or Coors light ??) commercial .

urb'nyouthfilms
11-10-2004, 01:45 PM
when i walked out of the woods hunting sunday night they were pretty bright

FourFiftyFour
11-10-2004, 01:51 PM
take pictures! so we texans can enjoy it too haha

JUSTINcredible
11-10-2004, 01:57 PM
http://www.startribune.com/stonline/images/news33/DTI_961181.l.jpg

http://www.startribune.com/stonline/images/news87/nlights01.l.jpg

FourFiftyFour
11-10-2004, 01:59 PM
why cant we have anything like that here dammit! thats awesome!

Alberta_Qaudin
11-10-2004, 02:05 PM
i've got some pics of them from workingin northern alberta last winter i'll find em and try postin em

Hondadudeehhhh
11-10-2004, 02:08 PM
the lights are so much cooler in Canada, but they still look awesome from here in mICHIGAN

zephead400ex
11-10-2004, 02:14 PM
That's awesome! Sunday led and I were all messed up and couldn't drive anywhere, since we live in a city we couldn't see jacksh*t! DAMNIT!!!

Man, I should have been sober Sunday night:ermm:

flyin#5
11-10-2004, 04:35 PM
yea, the northern lights were pretty cool the other night, but up in northern mn and canada they are crazy.

SmokinEX
11-10-2004, 05:36 PM
i'm in Alberta right now and there amazing up here. They cover almost 3/4 of the sky and bounce all over the place.

JUSTINcredible
11-10-2004, 09:56 PM
we have a cabin about an hour south of the canadian border and i remember when i was a little guy and seen them for the first time i was scared outa my mind and actually thought it was the end of the world... i was about 8 at the time:p

FourFiftyFour
11-10-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by JUSTINcredible
we have a cabin about an hour south of the canadian border and i remember when i was a little guy and seen them for the first time i was scared outa my mind and actually thought it was the end of the world... i was about 8 at the time:p

id probably still think that now at my age......if anything like that happened here i wouldnt know what to do haha

JUSTINcredible
11-10-2004, 10:20 PM
and the pictures dont really do them justice either, they are all swinging and dancing around.

FourFiftyFour
11-10-2004, 10:25 PM
and the pictures dont really do them justice either, they are all swinging and dancing around.

how often do you see them?

JUSTINcredible
11-10-2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by CDaleChick
how often do you see them?

not to often here really. further north you go the more often you will see them. last time i seen them here was in august. even when we do see them we dont get quite the show that we had the other night, you could look south and still see them. there was once a few years ago that the whole entire sky was actully cover from north to south to east to west. Im not for sure but i think they are caused from energy coming out of the sun, it can cause the radios to be a little static too.

FourFiftyFour
11-10-2004, 10:40 PM
not to often here really. further north you go the more often you will see them. last time i seen them here was in august. even when we do see them we dont get quite the show that we had the other night, you could look south and still see them. there was once a few years ago that the whole entire sky was actully cover from north to south to east to west. Im not for sure but i think they are caused from energy coming out of the sun, it can cause the radios to be a little static too.

with all the radioactive crap around here we should be able to see freaky stuff like that too :macho

Quad18star
11-10-2004, 10:44 PM
I seen them late lastnight also . What the Northern Lighs are , is the reflection of light off of billions of tiny ice crystals in the air . When the weather gets really cool and crisp , thats when you see them the most . It is also when the light reflects off the polar ice caps . When these babies " dance" through the sky.... it makes for a beautiful show .

FourFiftyFour
11-10-2004, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I seen them late lastnight also . What the Northern Lighs are , is the reflection of light off of billions of tiny ice crystals in the air . When the weather gets really cool and crisp , thats when you see them the most . It is also when the light reflects off the polar ice caps . When these babies " dance" through the sky.... it makes for a beautiful show .

damn im gonna have to make a trip way up north to see these damn things! lol

Quad18star
11-10-2004, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by CDaleChick
damn im gonna have to make a trip way up north to see these damn things! lol

HAHA Ya I'll bet you don't get weather around the freezing mark down in Texas ..... not cold enough to watch these anyways .

They usually dance it up from about mid summer ( rare occasions) right through till about January .

FourFiftyFour
11-10-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
HAHA Ya I'll bet you don't get weather around the freezing mark down in Texas ..... not cold enough to watch these anyways .

They usually dance it up from about mid summer ( rare occasions) right through till about January .

it sometimes freezes but not much, i havent seen it snow, but have seen it ice over once! usually tho its not very cold here :ermm:

JUSTINcredible
11-10-2004, 10:57 PM
when you say ice over do you mean a little frost on the gras and on the roofs in the morning? cuz we were getting that in late august already, haha. tonight it is supposed to get down to around 20 and tomorrow in the lower to middle teens. and the highs just barley making it above freezing. and this is still sweatshirt weather for me:macho

FourFiftyFour
11-10-2004, 11:00 PM
when you say ice over do you mean a little frost on the gras and on the roofs in the morning? cuz we were getting that in late august already, haha. tonight it is supposed to get down to around 20 and tomorrow in the lower to middle teens. and the highs just barley making it above freezing. and this is still sweatshirt weather for me:macho

LOL no when it iced over there were actually ice on the roads and over everything all day long for like 2-3 days

Juggalo
11-10-2004, 11:49 PM
yeah i saw em too...first time i have ever seen em around these parts..they werent as good as they could be but it was still awesome to see the northern lights around here

LazeR
11-11-2004, 01:10 AM
Ive never had the chance to see them! I would love to though, that looks so awesome. Also if it was in the southern sky, it could of been the souther lights (yes there is such thing) its called the Australias Borealis i think it is, and the Northern lights are the Aurora Borealis....i did a report on this awhile ago for school..... Now if i could just see them