PDA

View Full Version : good alluminum cleaner

needaEX
11-09-2004, 07:18 PM
Hey, I was just wondering if u all know of any really good product to clean alluminum. I just bought a used tool box and its really,really, oxidized. I have got Eagle 1 wadding polish and some turtle wax stuff, but it will take hours to get it all done that way. thanks

mojoe2878
11-09-2004, 07:59 PM
thats the only way to make it look good. it does take a long time though. i drive a truck for a living and own a peterbilt 379 that has a chit load of chrome and aluminum on it and its a all day job when i get ready to polish it up. get a drill with a polishing cloth on the end of it and use that with a liquid polishing compound, the drill makes the work easier and faster, when your done you will be able to see your relection in that tool box.

Bubba
11-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Whats that acid that turns aluminum white? Where can i get that?

mojoe2878
11-09-2004, 08:21 PM
im not sure what the name of it is, but they use it all the truck wash's. it dull's the hell out of polished alluminum. if you put any kind of acid on there be sure to do it before you polish it or it will dull it out.

Ericthered rdr
11-09-2004, 09:25 PM
Do a search for a product called Flitz. I havent used it in a couple of years but it is the best thing I have ever used in any metal.

Good luck!:D

needaEX
11-09-2004, 09:30 PM
hey guys thanks a lot i never thought of the drill thing im gunna do that i think it will be the cheapest easiest way to do it prolly

400exdad
11-10-2004, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by Bubba
Whats that acid that turns aluminum white? Where can i get that?

Muractic acid will etch metal, including aluminum. You can also use the concentrated purple stuff from Autozone - straight. Some aluminum wheel cleaners will do it too.

Stevie-D
11-10-2004, 07:04 AM
Mother's Aluminum Polish:blah:

good stuff

Got Roost?
11-10-2004, 10:50 AM
just use some fine steel wool

SGA
11-10-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Got Roost?
just use some fine steel wool

Trust me on this. Fine steel wool (000 or 0000) wet with WD-40. Then polish with mothers aluminum polish.

gratzracing24
11-10-2004, 01:37 PM
Wenal is preety good but kinda expensive

bulkdriverlp
11-10-2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by mojoe2878
thats the only way to make it look good. it does take a long time though. i drive a truck for a living and own a peterbilt 379 that has a chit load of chrome and aluminum on it and its a all day job when i get ready to polish it up. get a drill with a polishing cloth on the end of it and use that with a liquid polishing compound, the drill makes the work easier and faster, when your done you will be able to see your relection in that tool box. i was thinking the same thing, i drove truck for 2 years and the best palce to get aluminum polish is a truck stop, id listen to this guy

BSTURDIVANT
11-10-2004, 06:17 PM
NAPA sells a aluminum truck bed cleaner in a spray bottle that works good!

SGA
11-10-2004, 06:26 PM
I have a polish wheel that goes on a drill and also a benchtop grinder with coarse and fine buffing wheels on it, plus 2 or 3 grades of polishing rouge. Buffed all kinds of stuff over the years.

He said he was doing just a small tool box, thats why I said just use fine steel wool with WD-40 followed by aluminum polish. Something about the WD-40 which makes the steel wool work so much better, I suppose you could use aluminum polish with the steel wool also.

I agree with you trucker guys, power tools makes the job MUCH easier if you're gonna tackle bigger jobs or do alot of polishing in general.

440exnacsracer
11-10-2004, 07:50 PM
NAPA sells a aluminum truck bed cleaner in a spray bottle that works good!

yea, comes in a white bottle, i sprayed it on my motor the other day, and it looks like new