PDA

View Full Version : Voltage regulator/rectafier failing?!

400exstud
11-09-2004, 06:26 PM
Has anybody had their voltage regulator/rectafier fail or ever hear of that happening. First of all the regulator/rectafier is that little black thing behind the battery with the cooling fins on it.
I first knew I had a problem when my battery wouldn't charge. When I checked it their is supposed to be six little plugs like on and electrical outlet. When I checked it two of them were completely missing. I figure they rusted out cause it was completely grimmy in their. Then when I pulled the regulator/rectafier off of its plug I think I broke the connectors on that, too. Buying the rectafier is no problem. About $50 shipped. The plug on the other had connot be purchased sepparately. I guess I will just get the new rectafier and see if the old plug still works.
Please if anyone has had this problem let me know what to do.

-Shawn

mojoe2878
11-09-2004, 08:02 PM
if the plug doesnt work and you cant find one then splice the wires together.

honduh440
11-09-2004, 11:11 PM
mine broke down last yeari bought a new regulator and it worked fine i had no problems with the plug

foleyit
11-09-2004, 11:24 PM
I think you would experience other problems if your voltage regulator/rectifier was failing. At least this is what DynaTek believes. I've fried 3 of their ignitions circuit boards so far now. They tend to think that that it is my voltage regulator/rectifier blowing the circuit board. Because their ignition bypasses the fuse to the CDI. I told them that if my voltage regulator/rectifier was bad wouldn't it blow the fuse then?

I would just get a new rectifier and see if it works.

Just my .02 cents. Let us know if it works.

markk
11-10-2004, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by 400exstud
Has anybody had their voltage regulator/rectafier fail or ever hear of that happening. First of all the regulator/rectafier is that little black thing behind the battery with the cooling fins on it.
I first knew I had a problem when my battery wouldn't charge. When I checked it their is supposed to be six little plugs like on and electrical outlet. When I checked it two of them were completely missing. I figure they rusted out cause it was completely grimmy in their. Then when I pulled the regulator/rectafier off of its plug I think I broke the connectors on that, too. Buying the rectafier is no problem. About $50 shipped. The plug on the other had connot be purchased sepparately. I guess I will just get the new rectafier and see if the old plug still works.
Please if anyone has had this problem let me know what to do.

-Shawn

I had my rectafier fail on me the first time At the GNCC at Lorreta Lynns Ranch, and it cost me a top 10 finish, Anyways, I took my off, and cleaned it the bery best i could with bakingsoda,and vinager, and an old toothbruch, and then i pluged it back in!

WEll i got the Multi-meter out and i was gettin A/C to it, but no D/C coming out. So what i did is i pushed my clip on there harder, and it worked!!!!!!!!
(solution)= knotch the clip and the bottom fines on the Rectafier, and i took some saftey wire and pulled the clip tight onto the rectafier!!, And that solved my prob!!!! Get a MULIT-METER it will save u alot of time and wasted energy!!!

honduh440
11-10-2004, 12:17 PM
my regulator broke at the sand dunes last year i bought a new battery and it was dead after about 30 minutes so then i realized it was the regulator. i just pushed it down a hill to start it and it ran fine all day long untill i turned it off. i dont see any other problems happening to ur bike if the voltage regulator is bad

chucked
11-10-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by foleyit
I think you would experience other problems if your voltage regulator/rectifier was failing. At least this is what DynaTek believes. I've fried 3 of their ignitions circuit boards so far now. They tend to think that that it is my voltage regulator/rectifier blowing the circuit board. Because their ignition bypasses the fuse to the CDI. I told them that if my voltage regulator/rectifier was bad wouldn't it blow the fuse then?

I would just get a new rectifier and see if it works.

Just my .02 cents. Let us know if it works.

your still having problems? I had mine replaced after the first few hours, I probably have a hundred on the second one, no problems.

jahaiap
11-10-2004, 08:10 PM
i just had mine replaced, about 170 with laber. i ride in brackich water a lot and the salt tore the heck out of the terminals. the guy at the honda dealer had to replace all the connectors on the end of the harness too. then he packed all my plug in connections on my wiring harness with dielectric grease.its fine now. wonder what caused your connections to fail?

markk
11-11-2004, 01:13 AM
I guess that im glad, that i have only had the few problems with mine that I'v had!!!

400exstud
11-11-2004, 06:03 PM
i just had mine replaced, about 170 with laber. i ride in brackich water a lot and the salt tore the heck out of the terminals. the guy at the honda dealer had to replace all the connectors on the end of the harness too. then he packed all my plug in connections on my wiring harness with dielectric grease.its fine now. wonder what caused your connections to fail?

I believe that water caused my regulator/rectafier to fail also.

Did you have to have the whole electricle system replaced or just that plug (that connects to the rectafier).