PDA

View Full Version : kids quad?

brooksgnm
11-09-2004, 02:48 PM
Ok I apologise in advance for my newbie question......... I'm very new to the 4 wheeler world.
A friend of mine is thinking about buying her son a quad.. her 4 year old son! I'm not sure that such a quad exists that will fit his size, is there? I'm just looking for suggestions for what everybody likes in youth quads? Probably something 50cc.. is there anything small enough for him out there? Needs to be automatic also.. what do you guys/gals think? Please let me know if you can guide me in the right direction, thanks!

FasstMidnightZ
11-09-2004, 02:50 PM
the raptor 50 is a good one probally for him

11-09-2004, 03:27 PM
OK everyone who don't know the story will laugh at this. But I have a found interest in KYMCO ATVs now for youth riders. They have a nice 50cc auto quad out. they are extremely reliable. maybe not fastest thing in the world but they are very good quads!

400ex men
11-09-2004, 04:34 PM
tell her to by him a good hoped up 400ex:)

Tom TRX250R
11-09-2004, 05:21 PM
Hell I started when I was about 4 years old too. My first quad was a Yamaha 60cc Zinger. It even had a restricter cord that if I was going too fast my dad could yank the cord and kill it. Then I moved to the good ol' Suzuki LT80 which was the toughest little quad made and still the best mini quad out there. You wouldn't believe the hell my bro and I put that thing including taking it through ponds etc. etc. If it was me I would probably wait a few years and buy them a Suzuki LT80, its fully automatic but still has plenty of power for growing up.

eiger468rida
11-09-2004, 05:23 PM
a eiger or lt 80 would be good:D

Bush0102
11-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by eiger468rida
a eiger or lt 80 would be good:D

Oh crap he's back! Dont listen to him!

This question would probably be better in the mini-quad forum...there are a bunch of parents who really invest a ton of money in their kids' quads and racing careers.

I would probably say check out the Suzuki LT-50

mojoe2878
11-09-2004, 05:46 PM
most dealerships keep a few mini's in stock, take him to a dealership and let him sit on a few and see which one fits him the best.

n00b on a 400ex
11-09-2004, 05:53 PM
look whos back...

but id buy the kid a polaris phoenix, sure its a 200 4-stroke automatic, but hey, at least hell be able to smoke the other little kids on their 50s and 80s. but dont believe the "16 and over can ride this". who is gonna RIDE one of those at 16? hell i was ridin my TB250 and jumpin it when i was 14 (ok, jumpin isnt a good idea, eventually broke the frame)

47501exracer
11-09-2004, 06:05 PM
I think the ETON's are the best mini atv's out there. They make a 40cc that would be perfect, however if he can reach comfortably on a Viper 50 that would be a better bet so there's room to grow.

DaleJrFan
11-09-2004, 06:09 PM
my daughter is 5 and she has rode some 50cc of some friends of mine, they are kinda small for her but the kawasaki is reliable and safe for her. i think i am getting her a 90r from e-ton. check out their site, for the money, they are a pretty good deal. keep in mind, you have to buy the child something they can grow into.

angieyes
11-09-2004, 07:17 PM
never to young to learn to ride! I bought my kids a quad and a dirt bike. my daughter a 50 polaris(which by the way i don't recommend they suck) and my son a pw 80. yamaha would be my first choice to tell ur frien to buy but to each of us our own. Tell ur buddies kid goodluck hope toi see him racin maybe he race my son when he starts. hope they all make it pro love to watch it when i'm to old to do it

Pappy
11-09-2004, 07:19 PM
we have owned etons, kawasaki and now a kasea. the fit and finish is best on the kasea, it has controls that small hands can reach, has a foot brake that works and runs like a champ. it can be easily made faster with no money when your kid is ready.

QuadJunkies
11-10-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by 47501exracer
I think the ETON's are the best mini atv's out there. They make a 40cc that would be perfect, however if he can reach comfortably on a Viper 50 that would be a better bet so there's room to grow. We bought a 50 Eton Viper for my Sons 5th Bday. I guess it all depends on the size of the child too??? The 50 we have is the same chassis size as a 90(thats one thing we liked the Eton)The nice thing about this quad is you can mod if later on and the kid can get ALOt out of this quad with some mods too!!! My boy has had his for 2.5 years now and hes TEARIN on it now...:devil: Also, the Kasea is a GREAT quad. We have both and have been very pleased with them.:)

Ericthered rdr
11-10-2004, 07:55 AM
I am a reagular on the mini board. I just bought a kasea from Pappy and I am very pleased with the product and price that I got. I reasearched the mini's for about 6 months before I made my purchase (after I made an impulse buy on the first one)and found that the Kasea is the best mini out there. The controls are done right and the quality of the quad is what you would expect from one of the big four.(Honda,Kaw,Suz,Yam). You are gonna get people on here that are gonna try to steer you to the big four because of brand loyalty not true miniquad knowledge. I owned a Suzuki LT50. It was a nice "Mini" ,mini (there are TWO sizes in the mini world). It was small and slow wich is good for a mini but if you want to get the most out of your purchase you want a platform that will allow you to modify it as your child grows. The thing that is a must in a mini quad is a CVT tranny. They are by far a suppirior design to the centrifigul clutches.

Send Pappy a PM so that he can give you current pricing. I would get a Kasea Skyhawk 50. There is no reason why your child could not get 5-6 years out of it before he outgrows the quad. When he outgrows the 50cc motor get a 70cc kit on it and it will smoke a stock 90cc. I could go on and on about all the resons to buy a Kasea 50 but I am not a salesman just a dad who mad a mistake in the first quad I bought for my son then took a bath on selling it to get the quad I should have bought the first time. I would also go to the mini section so you can see what everybody else thinks. Good luck in your decision. Oh and don't buy a quad for a child without every piece of safety gear you can get, HELMET,CHESTPROTECTOR, NECKGUARD,GLOVES, and dont forget riding pants. Those pads are in there for a reason....he will wreck!

maggiesboy
11-10-2004, 08:30 AM
Buying a quad for your child to grow into is not a very smart idea. My son has had an ETON 40 since March, great little guy learner quad. Your child will grow to love our sport if they aren't getting worked over by a 200 pound mini quad. The ETON is just over 120 pounds. Bigger is not better in all cases. How many other quads come with a remote kill? These things work great! My son raced his first race this last saturday night and put a rippin on all of these other 1st year peewee riders that were on much larger machines. He has learned body placement for his situations. The kids on these bigger machines are holding on for dear life, and not going nearly as fast, because those bigger machines are too much for their little arms to handle. My son on his 40, passed the other three kids on 50 and 60cc machines in three laps of a 5 lap main on a flat-track. on the second laps these kids have slowed to a snails pace, they are worn out!

Parents, do the right thing, buy a quad that fit your little one correctly. They will be better off if you did, and you will see your investment used more often.