PDA

View Full Version : stripped bolts

quadgod440ex
11-09-2004, 02:28 PM
i have 2 stripped valve cover bolts that go into the head .... i cannot get them out ..... anyone have any ideas ??? and how can i get to put bolts back in there ? rethread with tap and dye and put bigger size bolt in there ? i do not wanna rig this i want it done right or is the right way to buy a new head ? help me out here

buster369
11-09-2004, 03:06 PM
how far did they break off? r they in the wholes of sticken out

quadgod440ex
11-09-2004, 03:15 PM
there not broken off theu just dont tighten or come out .... lol yes they are the right size bolts cause i no there is some that are longer and shorted but no they dont tighten or loosen ...

buster369
11-09-2004, 03:17 PM
u'll probably have to get the whole retapped

JDiablo
11-09-2004, 03:37 PM
try a pair of vice grips and pull them out,you better watch out,sounds to me like they are stripped as chit

NacsMXer
11-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Worst comes to worst, if you cant get them out, just take a grinder or small cut off wheel to the heads of the bolts and the valve cover should come off. One time I snapped one of my valve cover bolts in half, leaving the threaded end stuck in the head. I didnt want to hassle with drilling and retapping, so I just took the head to a machine shop and they removed the broken end and put in a helicoil insert. It only cost me 20 or 25 dollars I believe. My suggestion is to do that if you want a quick, relatively cheap fix.