PDA

View Full Version : Engine Idle Problems

WM-VP
11-09-2004, 08:19 AM
Once again, I am a little embarrassed to say I am a major n00b to the riding world. So here’s my question. I am not new to riding vehicles; I have had an enduro before, but I am new to four wheelers. When I go riding in the trails where I life we go pretty fast. When we stop to lets others in the group catch up or just to take a break my quad likes to idle down and sometimes idle so low that it just shuts off or stalls out. Now tell me it I am doing something wrong here and I am supposed to reev the engine a little ever time I stop but I don't think so? Correct me if I am wrong. Anyways, most of the time when I stop it idles pretty low or when I am coming down from really hammering on it will get this little "pop pop pop" to it when I am just letting the engine slow it self down. Why do these things happen? And is there a problem?

Thanks, JB

sickmojave
11-09-2004, 08:21 AM
what quad and is it stock?:confused:

WM-VP
11-09-2004, 08:23 AM
Its a 1999 400EX and yes it is stock except it has a full DG pipe system.

sickmojave
11-09-2004, 08:29 AM
has it been rejetted for the pipe?

it sounds like you maybe a little lean. that would be the reason for the "pop pop pop" sound . as for the idle have you tried to adjust it?

cals400ex
11-09-2004, 12:25 PM
rejet that bike. i would install a larger pilot jet while your at it. change the plug and clean the carb out good. you may have to turn the fuel screw out a little bit.

hondarider2006
11-09-2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by WM-VP
Once again, I am a little embarrassed to say I am a major n00b to the riding world. So here’s my question. I am not new to riding vehicles; I have had an enduro before, but I am new to four wheelers. When I go riding in the trails where I life we go pretty fast. When we stop to lets others in the group catch up or just to take a break my quad likes to idle down and sometimes idle so low that it just shuts off or stalls out. Now tell me it I am doing something wrong here and I am supposed to reev the engine a little ever time I stop but I don't think so? Correct me if I am wrong. Anyways, most of the time when I stop it idles pretty low or when I am coming down from really hammering on it will get this little "pop pop pop" to it when I am just letting the engine slow it self down. Why do these things happen? And is there a problem?

Thanks, JB

First off man, no one is a "noob" at riding. Its not a video game, it just takes practice. Video games just take a lot of clicking....

As far as your bike dieing when you stop...have you rejetted it?? If not, I would install a 42 pilot, and go about 2-2 1/2 turns out from lightley seated on the air/mixture screw. As far as the mj, I would start around a 152-155. Try this set up and see what happens;)2