PDA

View Full Version : Best Trail Tire

Kadafiy
04-16-2002, 04:27 PM
The ole stock tires have lost their grip so I'm looking for some new tires. I ride trails so I want to move up to a 22 rear tire. Are their any cons to this and what size fronts do I need? I'm looking for traction and have seen a ton of tires, but don't know which one to get. I want 4 ply because they will be lighter then 6. The only after market tires I had were turf tamers and they weren't too good in the mud. So anyone know what the best tire for me would be??? Thanks.

cdalejef
04-16-2002, 05:20 PM
I like running stock 300ex rear tires for trail riding. Very nice ride and hook up great.

sheaff400ex
04-17-2002, 08:19 AM
I also got a set of stock 300ex tires on my 400ex to ride trails with. I really like them and the extra ground clearance they offer. The roll a little more than stockers when cornering hard, but I'm willing to make that tradeoff.

JabberJaw
04-17-2002, 10:14 AM
I have tried so many tires it hurts.... I love the spider traks and will never buy a different tire again.

TRFOXX
04-17-2002, 11:40 AM
I like the Holeshot XCR's for trail riding the best, and great at the track also!

Kadafiy
04-17-2002, 12:53 PM
300ex tires, I never thought of that. Does anyone have a picture I don't know what they look like and don't have time to go to a dealer and look. I have to check out the spider tracs, I've seen them before and liked the tread patten but never gave them much thought. Are the spiders a good all around tire and do they hold up well? Thanks

cdalejef
04-17-2002, 01:40 PM
The spider tracs are great tires, they have been around forever. The only drawback is they are heavy and don't give a plush ride.

Scott
04-17-2002, 01:47 PM
Kadafy:

I run a 300ex and I personally hated the factory tires. They do hook up great, but the roll in the turns, and the fact that they would puncture if someone yelled boo was enough for me. I run 22" holeshot XCT's with factory gearing, and have for the last 2 years. The 22" tire and factory sprockets is pretty close to running a 20" tire and going up a tooth on the front sprocket. All I do is trail ride, year around, and they work just fine for me. If you ride at Wayne much with the factory tires, you better take a couple plug kits, because we've had tree roots rip the sidewalls.

Maybe if someone gave you a free set to try, but I wouldn't spend any money on them. You'll be cussing them later.

cdalejef
04-17-2002, 02:09 PM
Ya they do roll a little in the turns but we are talking about trail riding. My friend won the 4-stroke stock class last year in the GNCC's on one set of stock 300ex rear tires on his 400ex without a single flat running 5lbs pressure. He is blowing away the sportsman class this year on a 300ex using the stock set of rear tires. This is what sold me on them.

Scott
04-17-2002, 02:12 PM
Why's he using stock 300 tires on a 400? I've heard of people trying to get the stock 400 tires because they work fantastic in the snow, but I've never seen anyone trying to get stock 300 tires. The 300's are 22" from the factory, are the 400's 20" stock?

cdalejef
04-17-2002, 02:18 PM
He does it for the extra ground clearance and the smooth ride. They hook up great too as long as they still have edges on the knobs. I run them on my R when I go trail riding.

Scott
04-17-2002, 02:22 PM
I ended up taking mine and giving them away. They had 2 or 3 rides in the snow on them. Still had the little rubber things on them. Also gave away a set of 20" raz'r's with about 50% of the tread on them.

04-17-2002, 02:28 PM
Hey scott,,next time you feel like given stuff away,,how about sending Rico a PM...I'll take yo junk....:D

Kadafiy
04-17-2002, 05:27 PM
Thanks Scott,
I think I'll stay away from the 300ex tires and look at the spider tracs. These look like they will give me the grip I need fr those muddy hillclimbs. Plus they are probably more durable. How heavy are we talking compared to the stock tires? Also what kind and size front do you recommend to match 22 rears? One more question, how do the spider tracs perfrm in thehard pack? In Ohio it's muddy as he!! in the spring and fall, but dry as can be in the summer. Thanks for your help.

Oh yeah Scott but me on your list of give aways too! lol

Scott
04-18-2002, 06:38 AM
Have to get the info on the spidertracs from someone else, I've never tried them. Sorry.

As for the fronts, Me and my friends all ended up running the same fronts without knowing it. We're all running the Ohtsu Pro Comp 101 fronts. Without going home and looking at the sidewall to check, I was thinking they were a 22" tall tire. I was also thinking they were only 4 plys as well.

And I'm in Ohio too. The only time I've ever not been able to make a hill was a couple years ago in the snow. It wasn't that the tires wouldn't hook, it was the snow was too deep. After a 4x4 broke a trail open, we all went right up.

I'll make sure I post on here next time my wife decides it's time to clean the garage. I'd bet we're going to experience her "Spring Cleaning" in my garage within the next month...

xcntry
04-18-2002, 06:11 PM
I just bought a set of 23" fronts and 22" rear RAZR'S for my 400ex. I will tell you they hook up like crazy!!! But the problem that i have is that they really change they cornering. They hook up so good and are so tall that they really make me two wheel like crazy when cornering fast. The ground clearence is great it's only 1" higher than stock but you can tell the difference. I have ordered 1" wheel spacers to help with the two wheeling problem. I also do alot of trail riding so i didnt want to go to wide I think 1" will be enough. I also dropped to a 14 tooth front sprocket wich feels like it brought me back close to the stock gearing. I would definetly recomend the tall RAZR'S but be prepared to widen a stock 400 to make up for the two wheeling.:)

dirtclog
04-18-2002, 06:30 PM
razrs all around
22" in rear
23" in front

whole thing for sale...$3800

Kadafiy
04-18-2002, 08:39 PM
Do you guys change and mount your own tires? I usually pay to get them done, but with the stacks of tires some of you have that would be too expensive. If anyone does their own how hard is it and what do I need?

EXrider02
04-18-2002, 09:20 PM
Hey i took my stock 300ex tires off right away when i got my quad, i dont like riding with balloons for tires, i threw a set of holeshots on the rear and like them alot better.

dirtclog
04-19-2002, 05:20 AM
mom and pop gas stations usually do em for around $5

Scott
04-19-2002, 06:09 AM
breaking the factory bead is a pain, but after that it isn't too bad. And I copied a link from Rico for a low cost bead breaker... Let's see if I still have it...

http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=13610&prmenbr=6970

bradley300
04-19-2002, 08:06 AM
my personal opinion of what to get (and jeff will laugh at me for this) itp blackwaters 20x12. i had them on a lakota and got thru nearly everything and even climbed muddy hills that 400exs with holeshots couldnt go up until it tacked up. no, there is'nt much side bite but that just makes it that much more fun to powerslide and do donuts at will. they had no roll to them (this was a 20 inch tire on a 10 inch wheel though) and the ride was nice, not great, but nice. awsome fowrd traction though. going down the 2 inches will also lower your gearing enough to notice a difference when climbing steep hills.

Kadafiy
04-19-2002, 10:57 AM
I hope Rico is reading this because I would like to know how that thing works. For only 30 it would be worth it. I got charged 30 to mount 4 tires last time. So what do you say Rico.

bigbadbrad
04-23-2002, 07:50 PM
i use an automotive tire changer with a pnumatic bead braker. only taken like 1min a tire and dont cost much. if i wanted to i could do it my self on the machine but i dont. the trick on the automotive beadbraker is to still have some air is the ire.

04-23-2002, 10:24 PM
changing tires on my 400 is as easy as cake...i work at a mechanic shop and my job all day is to do tires. i can probably do 4 tire change overs and put back on the quad in about 5 min and it doesn't cost me a cent. we have a special atv tire machine which makes it unbelievably easy. damn i love my job. as well i also get any mechnical work, that i can figure out by myself, done for free. :p :blah

cdalejef
04-24-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
my personal opinion of what to get (and jeff will laugh at me for this) itp blackwaters 20x12.

lol!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D