PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a 400ex

Mikesamillion
11-08-2004, 07:40 PM
Hi guys im new here. Got a couple of questions i hope you guys can answer. First let me start by saying I just bought an 01 Honda 400ex and its my first quad and I really dont know all that much about them. I can tell its been road pretty hard in its past. Here is a list of mods that i know thats on it. It has a LRD full system, the carb has been re-jetted, front wheels have an offset (and by searching through this forum I have read that these might not be the best), maier black plastics, and maxxis tire front and rear.

Now for the part I need help with. She seems to have a small oil leak from somewhere (I havent stripped it down to look at exactly where) on top of the head and it seems that it might be using a small amount of oil too. First of all I know this might be a dumb question but is there any one thing on the 400's head that might seap some oil? And if it is using oil what are my options on rebuilding the stock motor. I dont race or anything like that so I would prefer not to go through all the stuff to pump up the cc's which i dont really need.

Now for the next question, the rear of my quad is a one piece (i.e. the seat and fenders are together, like I had to tell you guys/gals that) are all 400's this way? Is there a way to change it to where the just the seat comes off using maier plastics. I know alot of you are asking why the hell I would want to do that, but I just cant stand it.

Now I am sure I should ditch the offset front wheels for some +2 front a arms. What are good arms to use that wont break the bank? I am also thinking of dropping a tooth on the front sprocket but where I ride is a small area where 3rd gear is just about the max. How much will I lose (speed wise) in the first 3 gears? I would also like to do some steel braided break lines because the breaks seem to soft for me. If I bought lines that were for +2 arms before I get the arms would it be bad to install them? Any break pads I should look into getting?

Well Im sorry for overloading you all with all these questions (and I know alot of them will seem like newb questions) but I have just one more. Where is a good place to look at getting all this stuff.

Thanks guys

Mike

P.S. I know I cant spell.

Mikesamillion
11-09-2004, 09:15 PM
Free bump for me.....Come on fellas. Someone clue me in on some of this stuff.

cds
11-10-2004, 09:50 AM
>Where is a good place to look at getting all this stuff?

IMO, go to your local dealer unless the parts counter guy is difficult to deal with.

I tend to prefer dealing with people in person.

Fortunately, my local Honda dealer has a great parts counter guy. I don't much care for their sales department though.

I'm sure that the sponsor of this site would be more than happy to do business with you. It's a nice way of saying 'Thanks.'

YOMV,
cd

dirtmomma
11-10-2004, 11:49 AM
DON'T GO TO YOUR LOCAL PARTS STORE :rolleyes: :rolleyes: unless of course you want to pay more :)

I would check w/ C&D Racing on here, they have GREAT prices & shipping is quick there is also RMATV.com :)

As for the seat being seperate.................hmmm I'm not that sure on that but I know what you mean I hate trying to put the 400 rears on LOL it's a pain in the butt!!

As for the oil leak..........hmm I know ours uses alot of oil right now due to bad rings, as far as leaking, maybe the gasket is bad, not torqued down enough, I would check the gasket area is that where it is leaking from?? Just a thought :)

As for A arms, not sure on that one but seems like people are happy w/ Burgards :) You can also check prices @ C&D :)

As for gearing I'm not sure on that as above C&D LOL, if you PM Colby or Dusty they are VERY good about getting back to you, also you can get a quote in their section!!

Well I hope I've helped some :o maybe someone else will pop on & correct me on all of it LOL :p

DaleJrFan
11-10-2004, 04:52 PM
for most of your questions you can research these forums for yoiur awnsers. C&D has some great prices but you if you ever go north of altus, swing by phils atv in el reno. he has everything you could need and more. depending on what kinda riding you do, if you drop down one tooth on the front sprocket and go with some kind of cdi limiter, you will have some great low end power. also get you a k&n air filter and lose the airbox lid,re-jet and ride the heck out of her. i have the same basic set-up and i love it.

Mikesamillion
11-11-2004, 01:40 AM
Thanks dale. But you forgot im a noob....what is a cdi limiter and do you happen to know the teeth count on stock sprokets?

cals400ex
11-11-2004, 01:42 AM
a cdi box is also known as the ignition box. i honestly wouldn't change it out until your running an aftermarket cam that likes the high rpm power. the stock sprockets are 15 front and 38 rear. if you raise a tooth in front or lower teeth in the rear you will gain more top speed.

DaleJrFan
11-11-2004, 08:58 AM
or vice versa, i have a 14 tooth front sprocket just for more low end. you can stand your quad up all the way through 3rd gear doing this. and cal is right, a drop-in hot cam is simple to install but if you are going to get into the motor to do that, you might as well go all the way with a larger bore and full exaust to give you a better all around package. if you ever make it okc way, give me a call and we will go ride sometime.