PDA

View Full Version : To Build or not to Build a CRF450\400EX

flyingbyfast400
11-08-2004, 03:54 PM
Alright Guys. Right now Ive been working on taking apart my 400 for the winter rebuild. Im going to do alot of pcing, a lil chrome, rebuild my shocks, and do all the odds and ends a person does on a winter rebuild . Right now I have my 400ex motor sitting in the shop, and My big plan has been to just build a 460 Stroker, and be done with it. I have most of the parts for the motor build but for a few odds and ends. But after looking at sum post on here Ive been thinking about just going with a CRF 450 Motor and put it in the 400ex.. I know its not a very cheap thing to do. I see that some of the people on this site that has done this send the frame out and have someone weld everything up for them. What does it cost and what all gets changed? and also who does this? Next Question.. About what will it cost me for the CRF motor. It does not need to be new. I looked at crf motors on e-bay and Found one with everything for around 1400.00 bucks. Does this sound about right? Where may I find used CRF motors and what should I look out for when buying a crf motor, along with what should I look at spending on one.Anylil tips or pointers that you guys can give me plzs do. Ill need all of them I can get. :D I race alot of MX out to RedBud, Log Rd, and sumonther places of that Size. So it will be in a MX quad.. The 400 it self is built the only thing left for me to do is sumthing about a motor or the motor.. ( IF I do go with the CRF 450 motor I might have my motor and performance parts for sale)
One more qucik question. How much do you think Ill have spent once its ready to ride. After buying the odds and ends,motor.. and everything eles that is needed.
Thanks for all the Help guys!
Vic
For everyone that wants to tell me to buy a TRX450F.. PLZS! DONT! If I want one Ill buy one.. Im just trying to save all the buy a new 450 post... thanks guys....

QuAdEr 317
11-08-2004, 03:57 PM
i am also looking into this for the near future cuase i dont feel lik forking out around 6 - 8 g's or more for a 450r or yfz

flyingbyfast400
11-08-2004, 04:00 PM
Alright Guys... That makes two of us everyone can help out :D

flyingbyfast400
11-10-2004, 09:22 AM
anyone?

C41Xracer
11-10-2004, 07:07 PM
i did a conversion and love the power and at a fraction of the coat of buying a 450 and modding it

Yamahauler_04
11-11-2004, 09:26 AM
Depends on what you want to do with it. Most racing os going to production classes. If you want to race it, stick with the same motor for the frame. If you want to build it just to ride, go crazy.

Remember the only one who has to be happy with it is you.

Dust_1503
11-11-2004, 04:11 PM
i looked at it and it'll run ya around 4 to 5k which aint' too bad if you figure in that your quad already has arms and shocks so its mx ready just need the motor work. The motors that i found were runnin from 3,100 to 3,999 new so factor the work to be around 1-2k. I'm not positive but from what i've seen that what it turns out.

400-416EX
11-11-2004, 05:16 PM
I have a friend that runs one in the pro class and he is always up in the middle of the pack. He seems to like his.

flyingbyfast400
11-12-2004, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the input guys... Sorry I havnt been posting. Ive been at northwestern in Lima Ohio doing all the paper work and stuff for Schooling Next Aug...
Victor:macho

panteramatt
11-13-2004, 03:32 PM
Its well worth the $ and really isnt that expensive. But you wont find one with everything for $1400, they go for over $2000 on ebay for just the motor. I have a 250r with a yzf motor in it and it wasnt that much to build, at least it doesnt look that way cause I bought it already done. You can get most of the things from a good auto parts store and just have a good builder modify the frame cause I believe it needs to be cut.