PDA

View Full Version : xr400 cam question!

EXDUNER127
11-08-2004, 10:43 AM
Should i get this cam for a mild gain over stock, has anyone ever used an xr400 cam and noticed anything, what is the risk in buying a used cam off someone? What difference does the xr have compared to the 400ex, is it worth it or should i just get a hotcam stg 1, because i have a stock motor right now and plan on keeping it that way because it is going to the wife after i get a new one, i just want the bike to be a good duner?

TRXRacer1
11-08-2004, 10:53 AM
As cheap as cams are, I wouldn't risk a used one. http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/images/smilies/2cents.gif

400ex men
11-08-2004, 12:59 PM
i got the stg 1 i was thinkin about the xr400 cam but the HotCam's is cheaper and you get more out of it:)

cals400ex
11-08-2004, 11:42 PM
the hotcam is a bit more aggressive. however, i think the xr cam will use the stock decompression assembly. also, the xr probably won't tick as loud as the stage 1. i honestly wouldn't have a problem buying a used cam off someone. to me, it is hard to see if it is in good shape even with a pic. i like to see it up close and feel it. i guess the decision is up to you. if you find one for cheap, i would go for it if the original owner will back it up.

sickmojave
11-09-2004, 05:29 AM
I like my xr cam. it is as quite as stock with some nice gains. I got mine from a guy with the xr400 that wanted to upgrade. when he got his new cam I bought the XR cam for $25.:D it was like new and has been running great in my quad for over a year.:cool:

dirtmomma
11-09-2004, 08:57 AM
WE bought a used XR400 cam off a guy it's in good shape, unfortunelty we havne't installed it yet :( had it about 2 yrs!!! I also bought a used cam & rockers off of here for my 300 & have had GREAT luck w/ them no problems what so ever so I think it just depends on who you buy from :)

EXDUNER127
11-09-2004, 10:42 AM
With the xr400 cam, i can just swap it out for the existing stock cam right? I dont have to add anything else or do anything to the head to accept the cam without messing anything up, it is considered a drop in cam right, meaning what i just asked. let me know so i dont screw anything up ok guys when i install it, thanks!

sickmojave
11-09-2004, 10:50 AM
Just take out the stock and install the XR. set your valve clearance the same as stock.;)

EXDUNER127
11-09-2004, 10:54 AM
THATS IT! That is easy, especialy with my head already torn apart!

cals400ex
11-09-2004, 12:16 PM
remember to put that spring and plunger back in the head. with a hotcam, you wouldn't put this back in.

EXDUNER127
11-09-2004, 12:22 PM
yah what is that spring and plunger in there for, i almost lost the spring when we tipped it upside down? i put it back in its little hole again though!

cals400ex
11-10-2004, 11:09 AM
the spring and plunger are for the stock decompression assembly. this is supposed to help the bike start by cracking an exhaust valve open. however, when i installed my stage 2, it wasn't harder to start. i now run a TC cam with the decompression assembly and i think it is harder to start now than when i ran no decompression assembly with the hotcam. i have a feeling this is from the higher compression, not the cam itself. the hotcams just don't use that decompression assembly.

Moded86R
11-24-2004, 08:42 AM
Does anyone know the part # for the HRC cam.I'm interested in buying one.And the local honda dealer has no Info.

I tried the search.It kept saying I had to use more letters.

Any help would be great.

khen
11-24-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Moded86R
Does anyone know the part # for the HRC cam.I'm interested in buying one.And the local honda dealer has no Info.

I tried the search.It kept saying I had to use more letters.

Any help would be great. Search with a wild card character like this, hrc*

Or you can go to http://www.servicehonda.com , they have parts manuals online. In fact this might link you to the page you want:
EDIT: I put the wrong link so I removed it to avoid confusion.

khen
11-24-2004, 09:35 AM
oops.. I was being a dipchit, you were looking for the HRC cam not the XR cam. The servicehonda link above is for the XR cam.

cals400ex
11-24-2004, 10:24 AM
i would call up service honda and tell them you want the HRC cam. there is a difference so make sure you don't confuse this with the xr cam. i believe it is around $275 or so from service honda, which should be cheaper than the dealer.