PDA

View Full Version : unhappy with trail tech bar and clamp setup

jeepnrocks
11-08-2004, 09:33 AM
I was ecstatic when i first purchased the trail tech bar and clamp for my 450r. Now after having it for a while I am completely fed up with it. The clamp has 2 bolts that attaches the bottom clamp to the actual stem. well the first problem is that there is some play in there and it makes the bars a little bit tougher to line up. Now yesterday after i get back from riding i notice the bars have play in them again. This is the second time this has happened and I am absolutely disgusted with this setup. I have tightened these things down incredibly hard and red loctited them. What is really confusing me is that their are 4 openings in the bottom stem for 4 allens but nothing is threaded. my only guess is that this is for an aftermarket stem. Im going to have to break down and by an lsr or roll stem and clamp combo and be done with it.
I just want to warn you guys inhcase your thinking of getting this setup.

Jersey450R
11-08-2004, 09:53 AM
shoulda bought Renthals!

Blown 331
11-08-2004, 09:59 AM
Crazy, I'm thinking about buying that set up for mine.

spincr4hire
11-08-2004, 10:04 AM
I haven't had any problems with mine. Did you use the washers for the 2 stem bolts? You DO NOT use the 4 long allen head bolts. I called Trail Tech when I first got mine and asked them what they were for, the kit isn't supposed to come with them, they are from the earlier design phase for the clamp.

jeepnrocks
11-08-2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
shoulda bought Renthals!
its not the bars im unhappy with its the clamp system. in my opinion these are every bit as good as renthals, and bettert than the 7/8 renthals im sure. my buddy tweaked his renthals on a light high siding so they aernt quite as indestructible as everyone thinks, and remember if your bars dont give then your stem is going to and thats a bit more money than bars !

trailtech
11-08-2004, 10:41 AM
jeepnrocks,

First off, if you have our parts and are not happy, we will gladly refund your money. Just call us and we will take care of it. If you are not happy, we are not happy.

Now to the problem, we have hundreds of these clamps out there with no problem. I have this setup on my quad - no problem. We should be able to get your problem corrected.

There should be bosses our your clamp that align the part to the stem. These bosses are threaded M10. Place the clamp in the cover and verify the clamp goes to the bottom of the cover (this is key to make sure the clamp does not have anything preventing it from clamping down against the stem). With the clamp inside the cover, place the clamp/cover on the stem and slide it around until the bosses drop into the holes on the stem.

As spincr4hire notes, use the washers. Loctite is great but it is not required. Tighten the two M10 bolts and you are ready to go.

It is possible you have bad parts. If this is the case we will replace them.

By the way, the four holes under the clamp are just there to remove weight from the clamp.

You decide what you want. If you want out, no problem we will refund you (no matter where you bought them). If you want them fixed, we would be happy to fix your problem.

We all ride and take pride in the work we do.

Contact me direct - geoff@trailtech.net
Call us @ 360-687-4530.

Geoff

jeepnrocks
11-08-2004, 10:52 AM
thanks geoff,
I will take everything apart his week to verify the washers are on there. just want to be sure. then i will go over everything you said and see what happens. if by chance i got faulty equipment i will return the clamp for repair or replacement as you said.\thanks,
mike

Blown 331
11-08-2004, 10:55 AM
Good customer service, I'm going to buy one.

Jersey450R
11-08-2004, 01:42 PM
sorry jeep, i thought you meant the bars. i never heard of anything going wrong with the trail tech set-up. you still da man!

quadrider
11-08-2004, 07:39 PM
i've had trail tech bars and clamp for about 4 months and i've tightned the stem bolts 4 times. when i first put them on i used red loc tight. first ride they were lose, tighten them back up. 2 weeks later they were lose so i took them off and they had alluminum shavings and white corrsion stuff in it. i sprayed it out with starter fluid and red locktighted it and it was good for a month then last week i tighted them again. but they are a awsome set up i highly recommend them to anyone, just keep them tight.

trailtech
11-08-2004, 08:18 PM
quadrider,

It sounds like your parts were not properly cleaned. After running them with loctite, it will be very difficult to remove all the machining oil.

Contact us and we will replace the setup. If the bolts and clamp are clean and free of oil, red loctite will make themn nearly impossible to remove.

Geoff@trailtech.net or
Tech_support@trailtech.net

86atc250r
11-08-2004, 10:11 PM
My set is working great --- no complaints, no re-tightening...

Carp 1329
11-13-2004, 02:39 PM
i have used my trail tech stem and tag t-2 bars for a year with no problem. have not had to retighten once

jd400
11-17-2004, 02:51 PM
I had a trai tech clamp on my 400 and then moved it to the wife's 250ex. I tightened it once on both and never had any trouble. I would reccomend these to anyone, for what my two cents are worth, lol.

dn1911
11-18-2004, 05:32 PM
i haven't had any probelms with mine. just had to go to the store and get some washers. the bolt heads seamed awfully small for the hole they were going in. but other than that i love the clamp. i used it with my Flexx bars.

WOracing
11-19-2004, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by Jersey450R
shoulda bought Renthals!

or tag