PDA

View Full Version : YFZ on trails?

RedRider55
11-08-2004, 08:12 AM
i'm 15 years old and i have a 300ex and i ride lots of trails and i'm prolly gunna race. i like my 300 but there is no power or suspension on it and i don't wanna spend thousands of dollars. my skill exceeds my machine and i feel like i'm not getting any better on it. i got a steady job that will pay payments on a new YFZ and i heard they are the best machines out there right now. do u think it's the right choice? i read a forum comparing the r to the yfz and it kinda swayed my opinions on it so now i'm stuck. any help would be appreciated.

jlm996s
11-08-2004, 02:16 PM
If you can, try to ride both machines (the R and the YFZ). Both are great bikes! I rode both and liked them both except the R was more comfortable to me. Honda has better financing too.

RedRider55
11-09-2004, 07:41 AM
ya, i agree, one of my dads friends is getting a yfz so i can ride that. i heard that the r's sucked on the trails back when they first came out but as i'm reading now, there the best. i would like to get an r cuzz i'm a die hard honda guy. what are the payments on yours?

jlm996s
11-09-2004, 08:03 AM
Your payments are going to depend on how much you put down, the selling price, and how long you finance it for. Even if you don't put much down you could still get payments between $125 and $150.

5valves
11-09-2004, 06:08 PM
I think they both are great bikes. I do like the magic button that the R doesnt have.
but if I was 20 years younger that might not be as big of a deal.
your best bet is to ride both though then make up your mind.
I have been riding Yamaha for 30 years, so I have a YFZ, but my son rides a 250ex

anit_r_man
11-12-2004, 09:50 PM
yfz is nice on trails but like the r it lacks the magic back up ability. but if you want to race top notch to top notch the r is faster. the thing is can you afford to top it out if not get the yfz

Kennethyfz450
11-13-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by anit_r_man
yfz is nice on trails but like the r it lacks the magic back up ability. but if you want to race top notch to top notch the r is faster. the thing is can you afford to top it out if not get the yfz

you almost made a true statement..

the yfz is excellent on trails, its very dependable and it has the power to get you in and out of nasty situtions.. the magic button is no big deal...

the part about if you want to race top notch buy the r.. is the false statement... every company that has built the yfz and r both added more stuff to the r to keep up with the yfz:p and required more money ... (that part you got right):p

now when it comes to big bores i think the 450r will edge it in cc's because i think chadex has 550:confused: and the biggest so far with the a spacer is a 508?? but some of the guys at yfz central is trying to squeeze out another 1-15 more cc's swapping parts...

but who knows which is faster? who knows which one will last the longest once you build it that big? who knows whats going to give around 10000 rpm? its not going to be a pretty sight .. thats for sure:eek2:

honda are great bikes..
so are yamahas

i wished i owned both:devil:

geogeorge
11-16-2004, 08:42 AM
seeing you ride a honda now you will like the way the r makes its power. I comes on smother then the yfz. The yfz has the button and that is nice. I don't care how young and helthy you are it sucks to kick that bike over when she is hot.

Now, the yfz is faster. stock for stock. I don't see the need to make big motor mods if your trail riding and racing xc. you need a bike that will last more then one that is hypo out to all you know what.

The seat on the r is nicer then the yfz but I don't think that is a big deal. I find that I like the yfz better then the r. There is more power and I have to ride it harder then a honda. If you are trully wishing to get fast and need a bike to make you faster then go with the yfz.

If your just needing a new bike to be fster then go with the r. It won't make you ride harder then you wish but it won't take the beating a yfz will.

Thump_It
11-16-2004, 01:27 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by geogeorge
[B]seeing you ride a honda now you will like the way the r makes its power. I comes on smother then the yfz. The yfz has the button and that is nice. I don't care how young and helthy you are it sucks to kick that bike over when she is hot.

The Honda is very easy to kick over. And when it is hot??? these bikes can be kicked over while sitting down on your seat when they are hot. As to kicking them over when they are cold, well mine starts First kick 90% of the time, Second kick the rest of the time.

I owned a 400EX before this quad, I chose the R over the YFZ because it had that similiar feel when I sat on it. The R power is much more user friendly on the trails, the YFZ has power for the MX track. Ride'em and choose, good luck man.

Dale512
11-16-2004, 03:49 PM
I personally prefer the YFZ over the 450R on the trails, It feels more stable on offcambers, the suspension soaks up the big square edged ruts and rocks your bound to hit better, the YFZ is more planted for climbing hills although the 450R has a better powerband for the trails and better suspension for standard trailriding. I also like the Electric Start, ever tried kick starting a quad after stalling on a steep, slippery hill? The YFZ seat doesnt bother me cause I only use it about 5% of the time I'm riding, but I did have to get some lower footpegs and higher handlebars, also the YFZ eats gas like theres no tomorrow and the front fenders are all but useless in the mud. So it's pretty much a toss up, I was set on getting the 450R when I bought my YFZ, but that was when they first came out and I couldn't find a dealer around that would let anR go for less than $6900 OTD, I got my YFZ for $6100 OTD and never looked back.

Kennethyfz450
11-20-2004, 08:12 AM
The yfz is a great bike to hill climb with the front end doesn't do anything unexpected.

Dodge 1 Ton
11-27-2004, 11:31 PM
I have ridden both. I did this before I bought mine and like you I had a 300ex with alot of extra's. I bought a YFZ. Yes the 450r has smother power but that is not what I wanted. I wanted to feel the power and the Z does it. Yes it does have that special button and after a few hours of hard ridden it is a good thing. We ride trails hard and fast and you get tired. I have kicked the 450r over when hot and it is not bad but what can you say pushing the button is always eaiser:D

Ride both if you can and make a choice from that. If you want more abrupt power, easy push button starting, stiffer suspension and a slamming cool ride buy a Z:p:p:p:p. If you want more of a controled power range, plush ride, somthing you need to kick the crap out of at times, and a softer seat buy a R.

freakystone
11-29-2004, 11:41 AM
I currently have a YFZ and love it. I dont race, only tight, tight trails, hill climbs, mud, sand, etc.

I came off of 3 different Z400's and a couple Dales.

Again, I love the YFZ but most people would be hampered by it compared to the Z400 for tight trail riding. I am about 2 to 3 inches wider up front than the YFZ compared to the Z400, it doesnt turn as sharp as the Z400 and it doesnt have reverse.

In short, if you are a trail rider, get the Z400.

Punk'd
11-30-2004, 11:41 PM
I like the 450r better more comfortable.. and trail friendly.
I think the yfz is more mx style. IMO

freakystone
12-01-2004, 07:05 AM
Perhaps, but without the starter I wasnt interested. Nothing like killing it on a hill and now you have to roll down to kick it. ***c that.

Jersey450R
12-01-2004, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by jlm996s
Your payments are going to depend on how much you put down, the selling price, and how long you finance it for. Even if you don't put much down you could still get payments between $125 and $150.

I walked out the door with mine paying $126.39 a month for 5 years with no money down, WITH 42 month honda warranty and a few goodies on the side. ;)

jlm996s
12-01-2004, 07:44 AM
Perhaps, but without the starter I wasnt interested. Nothing like killing it on a hill and now you have to roll down to kick it. ***c that.

Why would you have to roll down the hill? This thing is very easy to kick. I can kick it sitting down. I personaly prefer the kick b/c I don't want to worry about having battery problems when I'm deep in the woods!

freakystone
12-01-2004, 08:21 AM
Hmm, apparently your hills are a little tame compared to ours. ;)

jlm996s
12-01-2004, 08:31 AM
Well, I'm not going to argue with you over which hills are more tame.....but the hills here are called the Ozark Mountains for a reason. I'm just saying the 450r is extremely easy to start.

Dodge 1 Ton
12-01-2004, 10:57 PM
The one I rode was not hard to start but on a hill it can get a bit :eek2:

I don't really agree with the 450r being more trail friendly it is more plush but it really depends on what you enjoy. I like the way the YFZ handles myself.

freakystone
12-02-2004, 07:09 AM
I hate to turn this into a petty, "who's hills are bigger debate" but I am talking about killing it on a hill that your CANT stop on. One that if you stall you fall. Nevermind.

On another note, I will again say that I think the Z400 triplets are the best tight trail quad made. It doesnt have near the power of a YFZ or 450R but it is more than adequate. And I dont care what the magazines say, the YFZ is 2.5 to 2.75 inches wider than the Z400, it doesnt turn as sharp as the Z400 and it doesnt have reverse. Of course all of these things hamper you on tight trails.

But I still wouldnt give my YFZ up...

Kennethyfz450
12-02-2004, 10:33 AM
I dont know about your hills but are local hills around here you would be screwed if you stalled electric start or not:rolleyes:

exrider44
12-23-2004, 12:14 PM
Both bikes are good but really who cares about stock vs stock. Most people mod their bikes to their liking so if you think the yfz feels better go with it. Im sure they both feel great when fully modded with arms and everything else. Its what you prefer. Besides they are pretty much dead even in a drag.

freakystone
12-23-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by exrider44
Besides they are pretty much dead even in a drag.

:huh

First of all, I am not one that uses "drag results" as an indicator to what quad it better. In the real world, a few tenths of a second in a drag or a half a quad this and that just doesnt mean anything. But dead even? Sorry but you are wrong.

Ramsus
12-23-2004, 03:00 PM
Since your 15 and you are coming off of a 300ex I'd get the z400.

The power and nimbleness on the trail would be better suited for you.

I assume you are planning on racing XC? The Z400 would be perfect for this, but if you plan on any motocross than I'd look at the yfz or trx.

Out of the trx or yfz, the trx is more user friendly, and MOST people I've talked to prefer the trx for XC, and the yfz for motocross.

So with that said, try to get a test ride on each of these machines. Find out what you don't like about each one, and how much it'd cost to change it to your liking.

Another big thing to consider is price. Z400 is $5,600, yfz is $6899, and the trx is $6499.

Right now(in my area anyways, Oregon) you can get an 04 trx for $5,899. They are unchanged for 05 so there is no point in spending extra money for nothing unless you want black plastic. The yfz's are selling much better so the dealers don't like to negotiate as much as they would with the trx.

So another thing to consider is how much money you would save getting a cheaper bike that would leave money for mods. For the price of a yfz you could have a pretty tricked out Z400 or a trx with some excellent mods.

exrider44
12-24-2004, 06:00 PM
Freakystone are you comparing both bikes stock? Also I never said that one is better then the other because of drag racing. I was just talking about top speed. Its all about what people like to ride.

Munno#37
12-25-2004, 09:21 AM
OK Im 16 and i race , and have bolth bikes!!! i really like my yfz i like the power and how fast it gets to the ground! but when im on the honda its more of a smooth power very nice! it wont beat you up in a race but its still underpowerd so just put your self a 13 tooth front sprocket and you will be good and a little lower front end and you will find yourself loving it and a couple of bolt ons! but you wanna know what i ride full time MY YFZ i think it sits in turns better has a very nice feel needs some shock work for woods like i race but other than that its a good bike but it sure does brake alot!! lmao My point is if you got money get bolth cause they are awesome bikes i cant say i like one more than the other they are really good bikes just pick one and you will be happy!! one more thing if you dont plan on racing dontget a yfz it will just beat you to death get the HONDA

effective
12-26-2004, 10:32 AM
get the yfz,power is better and stock suspension is much better compared to the r's and u got that elec start

MY450R
12-27-2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by freakystone
:huh

First of all, I am not one that uses "drag results" as an indicator to what quad it better. In the real world, a few tenths of a second in a drag or a half a quad this and that just doesnt mean anything. But dead even? Sorry but you are wrong.
yeah dead even
why does thjat seem wrong to you
i know from experience that they are.
dont say that i am wrong because you were not there
therefore you dont know
and the z400 is prolly the best trail bike out there

freakystone
12-27-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by MY450R
yeah dead even
why does thjat seem wrong to you
i know from experience that they are.
dont say that i am wrong because you were not there
therefore you dont know
and the z400 is prolly the best trail bike out there

I will concede and say, "You are 100% correct, I wasn't there..."

Because if I had been there or if anyone that knew how to rider was there, you would have seen that the 450R does NOT hang with the YFZ "dead even" as you put it.

Next time you should race someone who doesnt attend the Helen Keller School for the Blind.

I also find it ironic how you 450R guys spend so much time in the "YFZ450 Information" section trying to defend the obvious. Not even your 12 posts a day will convince people of something that is so blatantly incorrect.

And with all that said, I think the 450R is a great bike.

Glazier
12-27-2004, 08:54 PM
I love my YFZ, I only trail ride. I have a utility 4X4 I ride when a large group goes, but like everytime I see this post on other sites, it seems you get the same response. I have never read a response that would convince me if I was undecided. You really cant go wrong with either quad.

exrider44
12-29-2004, 12:57 PM
freakystone why are you so defensive . if I didnt get the R I would have had a yfz. All I said was they are both great bikes evenly. Its what the rider prefers and no im not hear freaking out about oh hes dogging the 450r. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Its rider preference!!! btw I dont spend my life in the yfz forums. Id be lucky to have enough time to surf the R forums.