PDA

View Full Version : cam chain tensioner???

yellow_ho_01
04-16-2002, 10:55 AM
alright,... i just got the 400 this past weekend knowing that something was wrong with it... i got it home and after a fairly extensive search found my problem to be the cam chain tensioner. i know that it is suposed to be an automatic adjustment but it doesnt work right, to my knowledge. I took out the tensioner and it seems to work fine, as far as being spring loaded and holding presure out,... i could not push it in. So i re-installed it and tightened it down until the "knocking" went away(i bearly had to turn it in much) so now the noisy is gone,.. WRONG, after reving the motor about 3-4 times.. somehow the chain got its slack back. So next i had the motor running and a screwdriver ready to turn the adjuster in, with the motor running i turned it in(again) until it went away, then i went alittle more,. i was still holding it in place while reving the motor, while reving i could feel the screw/tensioner backing itself out....? anyone out there have any ideas why its doing this and what i can do, beside spend money on a new tensioner?? i think it was like $50 from the local dealer,...

CranMan
04-16-2002, 11:35 AM
I'd say just get a new tensioner..it's not worth it to take a chance on messing up your motor....

knighttime
04-16-2002, 01:00 PM
from www.helminc.com and u will be ready to fix it correctly. :eek:

JhallettEX
04-16-2002, 10:11 PM
I am having the same problem, someone have any ideas?

04-17-2002, 08:56 AM
Ask gabe...:cool:

knighttime
04-17-2002, 09:09 AM
Its real tricky to get that tensioner and chain hooked up right. If u don't have a good manual that explains it, u r f'd! :eek:

CranMan
04-17-2002, 12:05 PM
I don't remember anything hard about it..you just have to keep it retracted while you put it in and tighten the bolts, then you let it spring out and it presses against the chain guide wear strip and that's all there is to it. The thing is, if it's working right, you can only compress it in while turning the screw that's UNDER the phillips head screw cap. I don't think it's designed to retract under normal conditions, only when you turn that screw...

Leo
04-17-2002, 03:31 PM
If you let it extend fully, then tried to draw it back into the motor with the bolts.. you either screwed up the tenisoner and/or perhaps some of the chain guides..

Your supposed to turn the screw on the back to retract it, then install it on the motor (while holding the screw).. Then it should automatically take up the slack..

You didn't state the age of your machine, but it's possible that it's time for a cam chain..?

Leo

yellow_ho_01
04-17-2002, 07:08 PM
im thinking i need a new chain... i did alittle playing with the adjuster, and i think it is alomst maxed out... i might see if i can borrow a friends(WISHERTDF... HINT, HINT) tensioner, and see if it is better, then ill know its just the tensioner, and not the chain. Thanks for all the help though.

yellow_ho_01
04-19-2002, 05:33 AM
i switched cam chain tensioners and it works fine.... there is no chain slap now. I sat there and played around with both of them in my hand and i could tell any difference.... but his did hold the tension on the chain, so i guess i will be buying a new tensioner,... anyone know of some good honda discount places... guess ill just look in the back of one of my mags.....again, thanks for the help

Leo
04-19-2002, 05:57 AM
your not going to find Honda parts much cheaper than you can at www.servicehonda.com ...

everything I've ever ordered has been here in a week or so, but some folks have had longer waits, might want to call them and check availability...

Leo