PDA

View Full Version : Mid-South Harescramble series

Bush0102
11-07-2004, 01:49 PM
Does anyone race in the mid-south harescrambles winter series? I'm thinking about entering some of the spring races. I've never raced before, will these be good races to start with? I would eventually like to race in the GNCC event at Loretta's in April. What can I expect for these races and how/how much should i be training for them? I ride a 400EX and will race in the beginner class...will i be OK? Also, does anyone ride utilities in these races?

Lil - Braff
11-07-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Bush0102
Does anyone race in the mid-south harescrambles winter series? I'm thinking about entering some of the spring races. I've never raced before, will these be good races to start with? I would eventually like to race in the GNCC event at Loretta's in April. What can I expect for these races and how/how much should i be training for them? I ride a 400EX and will race in the beginner class...will i be OK? Also, does anyone ride utilities in these races?

I don't get to race mid-souths yet so someone else could probably answer your questions better but from what I have heard and seen of the tracks in the midsouths it would be a good place to start out racing. The best place would be at a local race but if not midsouths should be fine. The best way to train would just to be able to ride for 2 hours. You could train by running, riding a bike, best of all tho would be riding. You should be fine in the beginners class on a 400. Just remember to have fun, ride smart and at your own pace. You'll do fine. ;) Yes utilities can race too.

Bush0102
11-07-2004, 03:37 PM
Thanks for the help. I dont want to race for first place (but that would be nice), but i want to race to experience the whole event. It seems like a big family and hopefully it is a lot of fun.

Has anyone else run in this series?

jesshamner
11-07-2004, 03:42 PM
^^^^What she said. It is like a big family. Go for it. Racing is a lot of fun.

Bush0102
11-07-2004, 06:13 PM
anybody else? Is there another series that comes to Northern alabama, georgia, tennessee, kentucky, or mississippi?

cdalejef
11-07-2004, 06:16 PM
I've been racing the Mid Souths since 1989 and their tracks are better than any other series I've raced. They can get pretty technical but alot of fun.

Bush0102
11-07-2004, 06:48 PM
Jeff, as a pro, do you think it is a good series to start out in XC racing? I didnt realize the series had notable pros that raced in it. Are you going to race in their winter series this year?

cdalejef
11-07-2004, 06:55 PM
Ya, the speeds aren't as fast as GNCC because the coarse is alot tighter. It can get tough sometimes riding after the bikes because of all the ruts they leave but its not bad if you just use your head and ride smart.
There have been lots of pros to come from the MS series like:

Bill Ballance
Brandon Ballance
William Yokley
Brad Page
Robin Page
Jason Lewis
Keith Lane
Tarras Massey
Doug Hayes
Just to name a few!

I try to run as many as I can that don't conflict with the GNCC's.

Shuee_400
11-07-2004, 07:36 PM
Anyone know where i can get the winter schedule?

jesshamner
11-07-2004, 07:46 PM
www.msws.org

smr
11-08-2004, 04:20 PM
Dude..I just started racing in the MSWS about a year ago...man I have had a blast. I was just like you last year. I have since made so many friends that it seems like I have been doing it forever. Everyone is always real cool. Just remember two things. If someone comes up behind you that is faster, then let them buy and most importantly...have fun.

Most people are real cool. You can walk up to almost anyone before the race and they will answer any questions you might have.

A 400ex will be fine. Just remember your saftey gear and have a kill cord. I would also recomend a camel back. Even when the temp is down you will be surprised how much you will sweet.

Bill Fuller
11-08-2004, 05:20 PM
I have been racing the Mid South Series since '97.Yes they do have a begginer class and sometime they have a utility class.The courses as Jeff said are tighter than most GNCC races,the race is a little shorter 1 1/2 hrs compared to 2 hrs.Either series is a great place to meet new people who enjoy the same things as you do.The Mid South Series goes from Alabama to Indiana so there is some traveling although most races are no more than 4 hours from Nashville.The 'ol 400 will do just fine in the series there are still alot of them out there.I would suggest you try the winter series instead of waiting for the summer.If you want to be ready for Lorettas in April you need to start now.First race just take in the experiance and finish.Like Harold said when someone comes up behind you yelling he/she is just letting you know a faster rider(maybe not even in your class)has caught up to you and wants around.Falling in behind a faster rider is an excellent time to learn new lines and technique.Make sure your machine is tight and check all bolts and re Loctite them.Apply Dielectric grease to all electric connections.Run with an airbox and lid,you never know what you will encounter during a harescramble(mud/water/dust)I prefer to only run a 6 ply tire front and rear(can't afford Tireballs).You will not need to refuel during a Mid South race but if you have a stock tank you will have to at Lorettas.Get some tear offs or roll offs for your goggles.I also highly recommend a Camel Back for hydration.

BUCK442
11-09-2004, 07:09 PM
The MSWS is how I got hooked on XC racing. I went from the MSWS to the GNCC and they are very different as Fro mentioned they are much tighter than the GNCC courses. The hardest part is the weather it is usually cold and muddy. But, all that riding in the slop makes for some great practice for when a GNCC gets swampy just ask Fro. Overall great tracks,great scoring and great people. Most of the riders from this series do very well in the GNCC races. Just watch out for those Story Boys from Ky they will blow you off the track!:mad:

shep
11-09-2004, 07:50 PM
:bandit: whats up buck.................still got the 450? its time to mount up!!!!

cjpoole1
11-09-2004, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by smr
Dude..I just started racing in the MSWS about a year ago...man I have had a blast. I was just like you last year. I have since made so many friends that it seems like I have been doing it forever. Everyone is always real cool. Just remember two things. If someone comes up behind you that is faster, then let them buy and most importantly...have fun.

Most people are real cool. You can walk up to almost anyone before the race and they will answer any questions you might have.

A 400ex will be fine. Just remember your saftey gear and have a kill cord. I would also recomend a camel back. Even when the temp is down you will be surprised how much you will sweet.
Same here, I started about a year ago and love it. I get better and better each race.
http://bxtrememotorsports.com/yfz/harescramble.jpg

motoboy66
11-09-2004, 11:56 PM
didnt think these were that close, looks like i have some more races to attend

cdalejef
11-10-2004, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by BUCK442
Just watch out for those Story Boys from Ky they will blow you off the track!:mad: You need some help with that? :macho

98Lakota
11-10-2004, 07:19 AM
Yep...great series and great people.

The 400 EX will do fine on the tight , technical tracks in the Mid South series.

BUCK442
11-10-2004, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
You need some help with that? :macho

I need some help for sure. I have not raced since June and that is also the last time I rode. I am sure the Fro Dog can give them boys a run on the old ATK as they are only riding ol' 400 ex's. However I remember not that lonk ago Jason Story winning the overall on a ragged out 250x.

SHEP: I thought you would have carpletunnle in those wrist by now from typing so many post. Thanks for the Love at the 12hr no invite to ride and no call on the results. Some friend you be.........One way!:devil: The 450 is gone!:confused: Proud owner of ATC 185S!:blah:

markk
11-11-2004, 01:19 AM
I've been racing the Mid Souths since 1989 and their tracks are better than any other series I've raced. They can get pretty technical but alot of fun.

I agree, I have only hit one of the mid-south tracks, last season, But it was By far the best track i have ever ridden on!!!!!! it was Linton ky, I loved the fact that it was all woods, with no open feilds!!!!!!!!!!

gncc400exxx
11-12-2004, 07:05 PM
I hope to hit a few of these after the first of the year. As soon as I get my work schedule for next year i'll be set. Can't wait.

Bush0102
11-17-2004, 01:12 PM
anybody else?

cdalejef
11-17-2004, 01:26 PM
I'm looking foreward to that new track on December 5th! :macho

Bush0102
11-17-2004, 01:51 PM
I'm looking foreward to that new track on December 5th! :macho

where is it?

cdalejef
11-17-2004, 01:59 PM
Salem, KY
Go here for more details www.msws.org

kyex40047
11-17-2004, 08:32 PM
I race the mid south in Quad B 16-24, this is my second year of racing and I love it. Jeff are you goinng to the Salem race? I am going to try and get Lee to race at this one.

kyex40047
11-17-2004, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by markk
I agree, I have only hit one of the mid-south tracks, last season, But it was By far the best track i have ever ridden on!!!!!! it was Linton ky, I loved the fact that it was all woods, with no open feilds!!!!!!!!!!
Was that a tight track? I went down there but i didn't even race, i had a blown head gasket and could not even get to the line.

Bush0102
11-17-2004, 09:51 PM
wow it seems like a ton of people are at these races...kinda makes me nervous...

cjpoole1
11-17-2004, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by Bush0102
wow it seems like a ton of people are at these races...kinda makes me nervous...
150-200 quads in 12 classes

cdalejef
11-18-2004, 07:09 AM
Ya Mike, I'm going to Salem. There is 3 Salem's in KY, I'm assuming its the one near Summerset.

smr
11-18-2004, 08:36 AM
Jeff....It's the one near Marion...(close to LBL)

I raced it on the Summer Schedule....it was mostly tight with some moderate hill climbs.

Hope to see you there.

cdalejef
11-18-2004, 08:48 AM
Thats weird, it won't come up on mapquest.

Rico
11-18-2004, 09:09 AM
it's a fun series and I plan on hittin a few as soon as the ole 416 gets put back together...:cool:

bradley300
11-18-2004, 09:44 AM
i'm gonna see how the ole blasty does at a few of them. i races most of them two years ago with the quadshop crew but i only made it to one last year. gonna see if i can hit 4 or five this year.

smr
11-18-2004, 01:30 PM
Jeff........It's north of lake Barkley on the Livingston-Crittenden county line.

WOOLIN
11-18-2004, 03:15 PM
I hunt 20 miles from there. I know how to get there Jeffy.

WhiteZee
11-18-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by bradley300
i'm gonna see how the ole blasty does at a few of them. i races most of them two years ago with the quadshop crew but i only made it to one last year. gonna see if i can hit 4 or five this year.
which class you running?

CatMostFeared
11-18-2004, 05:15 PM
oh yea count me in:D Mid Souths are fun.

rowlrag
11-18-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by CatMostFeared
oh yea count me in:D Mid Souths are fun.
NO

bradley300
11-18-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by WhiteZee
which class you running?
running c at the ones i can make, but dont worry, i'm no threat at the midsouths,lol never done well at them, but there fun anyways