PDA

View Full Version : What Paddle Tires for a 300ex

BigDon
04-16-2002, 08:46 AM
All,

Just getting started here on EXRiders, but loving it so far...

Just bought a used 2001 300ex (All stock so far). I've been riding a Honda 200x ATC with very old paddle tires and having fun, but now I'm stepping up a bit. I've ridden a friends 300ex with paddle tires, but I do not remember which tires / rims he had.

I am wanting to buy rims and tires this week for riding this weekend at South Jetty (Florence, OR).

I've been trying to get an idea of what to get by reading all the threads here on EX and I do NOT see much of an agreement other than NOT going with more than 8 paddles because of the loss of power, which makes sense to me. I'm not expecting to try getting huge air, just having fun in the sand.

Here's my plan... BUT I'D love some feedback, especially on the gauge of the rims!

Rear Tires:

Gecko - Kenda 21/11/10
Douglas Rims (125 gauge, or should I go with the 160 gauge?)

Looking forward to your feedback!

exriderdude
04-16-2002, 09:30 AM
im not sure about the tires, but i would definetly go with .160 or .190 rims though.:D

R-Crazy
04-16-2002, 06:40 PM
if your just cruisin in the dunes, you should be fine with 125's. if you plan on air and really ruff-ridin, get 160's or 190's, but 190's are pretty heavy.

dave

43atv
04-18-2002, 09:53 PM
i've been using sand sharks and douglas 160s on my 300 for several years and they work great.

QuadJunkies
04-19-2002, 12:16 AM
HEY BIGDON~ LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU END UP WITH. I AM CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR A PAIR MYSELF.(2002 300EX)IM HEADING TO ST. ANTHONY IDAHO FOR 3 DAYS ,AND I AM PUZZLED TOO. IM WANTING SOMETHING THATS GOOD AT CLIMBING(SOME OF THE DUNES OVER THERE ARE LIKE 750FT)AND YET I WANT TO BE ABLE TO SLIDE GOOD, AND SOME JUMPING TOO. GOOD LUCK AND PASS ME ANY INFO. THAT MAY BE HELPFUL :) :)

43atv
04-19-2002, 01:07 AM
hey quadjunkies have you ever been to st. anthony's its a fantastic place are you staying gene's or the blm if your staying at gene's be cool with him about some of his rules and he will give you some room.

BigDon
04-19-2002, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
HEY BIGDON~ LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU END UP WITH. I AM CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR A PAIR MYSELF.(2002 300EX)IM HEADING TO ST. ANTHONY IDAHO FOR 3 DAYS ,AND I AM PUZZLED TOO. IM WANTING SOMETHING THATS GOOD AT CLIMBING(SOME OF THE DUNES OVER THERE ARE LIKE 750FT)AND YET I WANT TO BE ABLE TO SLIDE GOOD, AND SOME JUMPING TOO. GOOD LUCK AND PASS ME ANY INFO. THAT MAY BE HELPFUL :) :)

I ended up with Douglas Red label (190) rims and Sand Skate II's. I'll be riding all day Sunday and I'll let you know Monday!

QuadJunkies
04-19-2002, 11:30 AM
Hey BigDon!Cant wait to hear about your ride!!!! do tell!! :) Hey 43atv ~who is Gene? no, i havent got to go yet, but i have heard it is a blast.Im totally jacked!!!I think we will be staying in Rexberg in a hotel. A friend of ours manages a few here in boise, and he has arranged to swap 3 days of there rooms,for 3 days here in boise the next time there in town.So i shouldnt cost us a dime!!! Pretty cool huh.Do you know all the ins and outs on the rules there?They dont have a Db requirement there do they?WE thought about camping up there, but WE didnt know what kind of facilities they have up there,plus we are taking our 5 &8 yr. old to ride too.send me any info. on the area.would be great !!;)

QuadJunkies
04-19-2002, 11:44 AM
Hey Everybody~~ I got an Email from Rocky Mountain today regarding sand paddles, THis is what they suggest for me,what do you think: Skat Trak Edge 20x10x8 (7 paddle V blade) or: Skat Trak 20X11x8 (7 paddlestraight blade) Or: Chen Shin Duneslider 21X12X8(v blade) OR: Cheng Shin Dune hopper 22X11X8 (straight blade)(I think this size is way too fat)WE had 22X11 on our 400ex, and they sucked!!!They actually would bog you down when climbing and took away from the power.They also reccomended .190 Douglas alumium rims. Or to go with .160 but, for good strength to do with the 190. Arent these pretty heavy? wont this take away from my power? i will need all i can get.I just dont want to be stuck with the darn things if they suck. so.... what do you all think??

43atv
04-19-2002, 12:41 PM
quadjunkies. gene is the owner of the camp ground at the dunes its a nice camp ground with a lot of great machines to check out.

kid300ex
04-22-2002, 05:52 PM
how would the gliders do in the 7 paddle? or even 8 paddle?

skull
05-02-2002, 04:34 AM
I've tried 20" 8 paddle haulers on my 300ex and they totally sucked.
my buddy has the dune sliders, and they're cool for toolin around but he can hardly climb anything.
the perfect fit (for my quad) was the Dune Hoppers 22". and no they don't bog it down at all. these tires are almost as light if not lighter than stock.
I got the douglas .190s, and I bought them from rocky mountain.
I'm tellin you these tires are such a perfect fit, I don't know why anyone would want anything else on a 300ex.

BigDon
05-02-2002, 08:01 PM
So Dan,

I've just (a month ago) bought a 2001 300ex. It's stock, and I'm wanting to get air filter / pipe / jets. What have you done if anything and how has it worked?

Don

skull
05-03-2002, 04:28 AM
I added a Pro Circuit T4 silencer, Dyno Jet atv jet kit, removed the air box lid (replaced it with an Outerwears unit), and also added a 14 tooth front sprocket.
I ride mostly in sand, and sometimes dusty conditons. so, I stuck with the stock foam filter. I'm a firm believer in foam filters, I will not use a K&N.
so far all the mods I have done have been great. the 14 tooth is a little much with the 22" tires, but it does have it's advantages. when I put my 20" bandits on, the gearing is spot on.
the pipe is pushing the sound limits for Silver Lake. I have the quiet core insert, but it totally sucks all my top end out. runs perfect without it.