PDA

View Full Version : any tips to make a crf 450 motor start easier

deathman53
11-06-2004, 04:29 PM
I got a crf 450 quad(dirtbike motor) the other day and its real hard to start, takes alot of kicks and seams easy to flood, any tips to make it easier to start, and does anybody sell a kick to make it kick forward?

mojoe2878
11-06-2004, 05:36 PM
theres so many people that have a hard time starting the crf and yzf. if it has allready floode bad the you may want to replace the plug or clean it real good, once its flooded there will be no starting it for several hours usually. try this to see if you can get it started...
if its been more than a couple days since its been started then give the throttle 2 or 3 complete blips before you kick it over.
sometimes these bikes want the choke and sometimes they dont, they are very picky, try the first couple kicks with out choke unless its just real cold outside.
you need to find the compression stroke when you kick it over, do this, put pressure on the kicker untill you find good resistance, it may take a couple of light pressure kicks to find it, as soon as you feel a lot of resistance stop, this is the compression stroke. let the kick starter come all the way back up and kick it down forcefully and smoothly all the way down.
do not touch the throotle while kicking it over, that is begging for broken leg parts and it will flood the engine fast.
after it starts, dont give it any throttle for atleast 15 seconds or so or it will flood it out, it should idle on its own, if you used the choke then let it warm up a little the turn it off and let it idle a few b4 you give it any throttle.
only time you should give it any throttle immediatly after it starts is when you are using the hot start button, but only do this after it has cranked, no throttle while kicking it.
it take some getting used to on starting these engines, but once you get it down pat you will have it running on the 1st or 2nd kick.
remember you will do nothing but wear yourself out trying to crank it by kicking it over on the exhaust stroke, you need to find the compression stroke be4 you give it a good kick. and short rabbit kicks like you can do with a 2 stroke will do nothing for it.
remember to never give it throttle while kicking it over.
just do like i do, i tell all my friends that if they can get it running then they can ride it, and they can never seem to start my yz450f and get mad when i jump on it and get it goin in one kick.
hope this helps you out some. good luck.

rydes400ex
11-06-2004, 05:57 PM
also, if it is a used motor, check to see if the valve clearances are correct, if they are off the specs it will also affect the starting.

deathman53
11-06-2004, 05:59 PM
thanks, I was doing it all wrong then. I'm coming from a atc 250r(big bore, suspension, the whole nine yards) to this). I got it started a few times, but other times no.

airheadedduner
11-07-2004, 10:28 AM
I deal with dirt bikes almost every day. For cold starting just kick it with the choke on. If it doesn't start or floods, pull in the hot start and hold the kill button in and kick through about 5 times. Then try starting. For hot starting I try to start it first without using the hotstart lever. If it won't fire after a couple kicks pull in the hot start and clear the old fuel load like you do when flooded while cold starting.

If it don't fire easily under theese conditions you have another issue. You might be a touch lean because the tempreture has dropped. Try richening your fuel scre half a turn or so.

fmf400ex03
11-07-2004, 02:07 PM
grow some nuts and kick like a man

deathman53
11-07-2004, 04:47 PM
funny, if I wanted to be critized, I'd post this on a yamaha/suzuki/kawi forum. Grow up!!!!! do you even own a bike that needs to be kicked? parents really should watch what their 14 yrs olds post. I got it down today, well untill I got slammed from behind and it kincked the head pipe and destoyed the silencer, I'll be back on my atc250r next weekend. I don't have the money to fix the exhaust right now, also destoyed the grab bar.