PDA

View Full Version : Going bigger!

Chef
04-15-2002, 11:49 PM
Well, due to some idiot messing with my carb (probably me, even though I dont remember doing it) the air screw got adjusted all the way to make it extremely lean. The bike hasn't been running right, so I took it to my engine builder to see if he could figure it out. He put another guys FCR on and it ran just about perfect. Well he pulled my motor apart to see what kind of damage had been done to the internals, and it turns out the rings and piston were downright fried, along with the possibility of the exhaust valves. So right now it is being bored to a 450, and a JE 12:1 compression piston is being installed. I might have him do some larger exhaust valves while he is at it. He also said it should be right around a 485...:D

Some of you knew that my bike hadn't been running right for quite some time now, and this was the cause. I might end up going with a higher compression, maybe along the lines of 14 or 15 to one, but I'm not totally sure yet. It would be pretty wild then. I'm hoping to make it to fourstroke wars with this bike sometime, and it will be quite a bit larger than 505 by that time...Chad, you best watch out! :cool: ;)

VegasEx'r
04-16-2002, 11:22 AM
Hey Alky, I think that you & Chad should race, since you will both have wicked fast quads. I was wondering about the bottom end of your motor. Is the stroker crank a lot beefier than stock, & has it been welded? Where can you get a 14 or 15:1 CR piston? If you do that, are you going to replace the rod (or have you already & just didn't put it in your sig)?

ChadEXer
04-16-2002, 12:08 PM
Alky your motor is going to blow up:D
When i was talking to the engine builders, almost all of them say you dont really want to run a really high compression piston. FST says no bigger than 10:1 piston a Tom told me he will do a 12.5:1 piston in mine but he recommends no higher than that because too much compression will kill your motor!!
All that compression is going to split the cases!!!

NJ300ex
04-16-2002, 01:50 PM
Definatly go with the larger valves. More power the better but you still need to get some shocks and stuff chef. It must be really hard to control with all that power.

ChadEXer
04-16-2002, 02:12 PM
Tom is putting larger valves in mine but i dont remember exactly what kind they were or anything.
he told me what he does with the crank too but I dont remeber that either, i remember him saying he would go ahead and put the crank through his machine shop when he got my motor!! i just talked to Tom on the phone and he said i will have my motor by the end of this month!

MR. HONDA EX'S
04-16-2002, 02:37 PM
Chad sounds good. How long has TC had your motor? Alky, I think 14-15 to 1 is like alky comp. ratio. :devil

ChadEXer
04-16-2002, 02:41 PM
TC got my motor on March 7. i just talked to him earlier and he said he will be done by the end of this month! So it will take about 7 weeks,,,as long as it doesnt take longer than what i was just told!

MR. HONDA EX'S
04-16-2002, 02:53 PM
That's not to bad. I hope it rips like You & I think it should.

Chef
04-16-2002, 05:03 PM
When we first did it last august, we had a hot rod in there, but since then we put a carillo in it. I just didnt remember than in my sig. It would have broken the stock rod long ago. I think he can do larger exhaust valves, we already have the intakes...

We did everything in the bottom end to make it as reliable as possible..welded stroker crank, carillo rod, Hinson 8 plate clutch, and whatever else. I didn't personally see the crank, so I dont know how it looks compared to the stocker. I know the Carillo rod is huge. I think you can get the really high comp pistons from IMS, or have them modify your 11.5:1 or 12:1 piston...It should run pretty good though I think...