PDA

View Full Version : 12 Hours of ATV America - Wants your Input for Next Year

Admin
11-06-2004, 07:58 AM
With a little bit of luck we will be at the new home of the 12 Hours of ATV America and with 1,500 acres the course can be as
long as we want to make it. We are even considering two courses: a more technical one for the first session and a less technical one designed for night time racing for the second session. As always, safety is our primary concern.

By the way, with the hour delay do to the rain we were able to test the 1 hour impoundment. Could you do a poll and see what the riders think of this idea, between session one and two everyone must immediately walk away from the quads with out looking them over and once all the quads are impounded the teams get 30 minutes to work on the quads and then we start the second session.

Also I would be interested in knowing how the riders feel about the first sessions time being erased and everyone starting even based on the number of laps they have ran. Would the teams prefer to carry over their times from session to session two? So if you have a 6 minute lead over the rider behind you, you would start all at the same time but you would retain the 6 minute lead.

I have heard several complaints about the restart in the race report, so take the oppurtunity to offer your opinion for next year on the above questions, and don't be shy to let them know other areas you would like to see changed or improved.

geogeorge
11-06-2004, 08:16 AM
Seeing I have yet to race a 12 hour please take this with that in mind.

I like the idea of two traks with a more tec one for day light and a less for night. I'm a better rider in the tight woods.

I would like to see the time you have in sessionone carry over. I know I would be upset if the team I was on had bould up a lead and then had to just had it over. If you do away with the time lead no one has a reason to ride hard in the first session and it becomes some what pointless. I would think the point of the 12 hour would be to have evry one racing the hole time and not just the second half. If I have read everything right the best times came in the second session? that tell me that people were pushing harder. I know that I genraliesd here so please for those that went all out both session don't bust my chops.

now for those of us with more guts then brains I heard talk of a ironman class were you could solo? let meknow. thanks

Varmit57
11-06-2004, 09:52 AM
I race this year and had a blast... (8th in the B class).

I don't like the idea of two tracks becuse of the fact that part of the second sesion is in the dark and its nice to have all that time on the course during the day to prepair you for the dark... You already know the track by heart at that piont so it make the night racing safe'r.

I do like the idea of keeping track of the time. With our team we had a bad start on the second sesion and lost a couple of places to teams that finished minites behind us in the first.

I just want to thank John and the rest of the crew for giving us such a great course to ride on.

Aslo thanks to Dan and JR for putting up with me for 12hrs.... :D

joedirt
11-06-2004, 10:00 AM
Run 12hrs. straight, the 2 hr. break is a tease. I think there where more teams cheating this year then last. No pre-walking the course. Make the pits like they where last year, you pit you lose time, this year you might of lost 5 seconds. Reward teams that are in better shape. It was a good mix of track keep it that way. Run when it's warmer out TOO COLD this year and last. If you run 12 hrs. straight you can start later and finish earlier you don't have to worry about inpounding, Baja, 24 hrs of Daytona, 24hrs of Glen Helen don't break.

Varmit57
11-06-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by joedirt
Run 12hrs. straight, the 2 hr. break is a tease.

I'm up for that! Great Idea!!!

jgfarmsracer
11-06-2004, 11:01 AM
the break is fine as long as it is the hour again

than the 2 hour that was planned

xcyfz450
11-06-2004, 11:15 AM
the lettin the teams start with the 6 minute lead or so really wont work out by the time u get down to the last team the lead team will be coming around to lap it would just be a big cluster IMO

popo
11-06-2004, 11:15 AM
A sober announcer broadcasting live.

700 racer
11-06-2004, 01:16 PM
#1 12 hours straight no breaks eliminates alot of questions right there.

#2 same course dont change for the night session.

#3 let the weather be its maker. keep it as it is oct.

#4 leave the pits alone they are finally right. this year was the best yet.

ex kid
11-06-2004, 03:09 PM
MAKE THE RACE IN PENNSYLVANIA!

Shawn H
11-06-2004, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by 700 racer

#3 let the weather be its maker. keep it as it is oct.

I agree with all these points!
I also dont know how you could carry over a lead to the 2nd session.

geogeorge
11-06-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by snowgasm
I agree with all these points!
I also dont know how you could carry over a lead to the 2nd session.

you carry over the time on the clock not the track. you take a combined time from the first session and the second session and the team with the best time over all wins.

I like the combined time idea.

popo
11-07-2004, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by ex kid
MAKE THE RACE IN PENNSYLVANIA!

Hows that a central location????????

bartlettracing
11-07-2004, 07:17 AM
IMO

no need for a break .....

two tracks is a great idea ..... (helps with cheaters )

pit's this year were awsome !

make it a two day event .. saturday races sunday awards and ? somthing to keep the intrest ...... awards seem not to go well when at the end of the night ......

fire the drunk guy ...emberasment to the 12 hours

id neon leg braclet for each rider ... saw teams with 4 riders !

this event is huge needs tv covrage ....

if there is a break times need to be assesd to second half .

Shawn H
11-07-2004, 07:20 AM

Very good idea with the leg bracelets and t.v coverage

dirtriderex
11-07-2004, 07:20 AM
-Whats everyones thought of having their own quad?
-Keep some of it night portion
-Have a 30 min. break
-keep the track at least 10 miles
- And as far as location I think It should still be cental, But Somewhere else to add variety and give those Iowa boys a run for their money:devil:.

ATVGurl
11-07-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by bartlettracing
IMO

no need for a break .....

pit's this year were awsome !

somthing to keep the intrest ...... awards seem not to go well when at the end of the night ......

if there is a break times need to be assesd to second half .

I like all of these suggestions. If there really has to be a break (I think it was almost necessary the first year because the track needed some work after 6 hours) then somehow lead time should carry over. Our team (FD Racing) had a 6 minute lead only to lose it in the beginning of the second half. I like the ID bracelet idea. It would have to be something that could not be removed!!

joedirt
11-07-2004, 07:29 PM
2 day event. Who wants to wait til morning to get there awards, not me. Just run it straight through no break. Break at your own time. Just make the track so cheating won't be easy. You start at 8am you end at 8pm could be gone by 10pm. Two tracks, just run one by the end of the day you know the track like the back of your hand.

dirtriderex
11-07-2004, 07:34 PM
I agree with popo, Fire that drunk!!!

Prairiewrench
11-07-2004, 08:22 PM
Unless something durastic goes very wrong the race will stay here in Fort Dodge, Iowa,, three out of the 4 owners of the 12 hour are from Iowa and two of them 3 are from Fort Dodge!

The track has to be and will be considerably longer to accomidate the growing number of teams. With the longer track will be more tow people, more guys hiding out in undisclosed locations watching for the LOSERS who must cheat to try to win! Who all knew that there were guys in the woods wearing camo at this last race watching for cheaters?????

Another thing that is in the works is GPS transponders that will track everyones every move,, this will be the single greatest thing that could happen! It will track, record, and map out every lap! It would eliminate cheaters, if your quads stops moving it can send out an alert after soo many seconds or minutes to alert the officials of a problem and exactly where you are!

Now for a few of my ideas and others I agree with,

Non removable id tags of some kind is a must to keep the teams to 3 riders, I've heard of some teams slipping in extra riders,,, who would know otherwise as the rider is decked out in full gear that matchs or is the same as the other riders on the team!

The pits this year was the best of all the 12 hour races other than there has to be a way to stop the " SMART " people from running across the track while the race is on. You trip in front of a quad running 50 to 60 plus mph and you are gonna be hurting if not dead!!!!

One track all day and night,, if you can't handle the rough track at night,,, don't race!

1st 2nd and 3rd place winners should be photographed at the podium with their quads,, I know my sponsors wanted to see that!

All first place finishers in all class's should get their entry fee paid back along with the " contingency prizes" Pro's and A class does not apply to this,, they get paid anyway,, this is not an AMA/ATVA race so their rules of no pay excepy for pros should not apply!

***TAKE CARE OF THE RACERS*** they are the ones who will keep this race going, no racers means no race,,, no brainer there! Make sure you give them what you say your gonna and make sure they have it before they leave the track! No more of the checks in the mail thing,, I know several guys from this race who are now gonna be watching their mailboxs for their participation plaques! I have also heard from a few racers from this race that have said they will not be back,, why, because they did not get what they were promissed!

I have heard for three years now all about the drunk announcer,, more and more people are noticing this and that issue will have to be brought to John Pellans attention,, it's bad press! On a good point for Mark the announcer, he is there helping set up everything every year and Sunday he is there all day helping taking it all back down and cleaning up!

Speaking of cleaning up,, what a bunch of slobs we were this year,, I know our team brought garbage bags and cleaned up our area and took our garbage with us,,, did you???? They are still cleaning up garbage today and the land owners are just a little upset!!!!!!

I could go on and on but I won't, all my thoughts go directly to the people who own the 12 Hour race anyway pretty much on a daily basis. All these things I have already discussed with them and all your thoughts and advise will be delivered directly too,,, I'll make sure of that! LOL!!! ;)

FD RACING

Prairiewrench
11-07-2004, 08:39 PM
Oh, I forgot,, the 2 hour break is used to help the racers safty! If there are trouble spots in the track they are either redirected around it or the area is repaired if possible! The one hour break this year did not allow for any repairs! SAFTY FIRST!!!

Warmer time of the year???? Pick a date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Remember, alot of the guys who run this race also participate in series races such as GNCC,,GNC, harescramble series's and so on! So when do we all have a break long enuf to have the 12 hour race????

FD RACING

peterock
11-07-2004, 09:10 PM
#1 Run it 12 hours straight, no break.

#2 Same track, don't make two different courses.

#3 I thought the pit set-up was perfect this year.

#4 Give the racers what they were promised. (finishing awards)

All of these things are minor and will only improve on an already great event.

Shawn H
11-08-2004, 08:15 AM
Jim ya have to agree pretty stupid not to have any garbage cans anywhere that I saw. If they need cans or drums Im sure I can find some for next year If I start collecting today>

My crew always takes what we bring in> but you cant expect everyone to do so!

Prairiewrench
11-08-2004, 11:05 AM
You are very right there snow,, look how many compliments we get from the Iowa series at how well all the racers and crew clean up after themselves!

79400ex
11-08-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by ex kid
MAKE THE RACE IN PENNSYLVANIA! Prairiewrench

Warmer time of the year???? Pick a date!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Remember, alot of the guys who run this race also participate in series races such as GNCC,,GNC, harescramble series's and so on! So when do we all have a break long enuf to have the 12 hour race????

Leave it where it is. Make them east coast rider come to the midwest. Let the weather be a factor. As for Iowa rider having an avage maybe they are faster than you.

motoboy66
11-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Where can i get the rules for this race. I have a team and want to race next year. i like the 12 hours straight.

11-08-2004, 12:18 PM
What is this race?????? Did I miss it? sounds fun.

more multi lines like the years before will help keep the track in better condition. Making the track more spread out will help keep people from cheating. Not longer track. If you make the track longer it will kill someone if they break down. it will take too long to get back to the pits get fixed and get back out on the track. I think that is a good part to the race that you can have a problem get it fixed and get going again. If you break 10 miles from your pit your day is done no matter how minor of a problem it is!

PITS awesome this year!!!!!!

I like the idea of running it straight though!

Location is good!

joedirt
11-08-2004, 03:29 PM
Now lets talk $$$. The Pro purse the only way for the Pro's to collect the full purse is to have a full field of racers. The GNCC and the GNC series don't have 90 pro racers combined so I don't understand how they are going to get a whole field of Pros. Need to work out a better system for the Pros(purse wise). As for fixing the track during the break, why everyone knows what is on the track you are already out there for 6 hrs. If you have to put a flag man out on the track and have a repair crew out the we'll slow down for them. Just give us enough warning. The race should be moved east a little. Hardly no one comes from the westcoast. All midwest and eastcoast racers

dirtriderex
11-08-2004, 03:48 PM
Thats because there is nothing but mountains and trees until you hit the Pacific coast line states LOL:p

98red
11-08-2004, 05:58 PM
I also would like to see a sober announcer and one that does not says he is from florida every 15 min..who cares.. also would like to see more VENDORS there.

ex kid
11-08-2004, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by joedirt
Now lets talk $$$. The Pro purse the only way for the Pro's to collect the full purse is to have a full field of racers. The GNCC and the GNC series don't have 90 pro racers combined so I don't understand how they are going to get a whole field of Pros. Need to work out a better system for the Pros(purse wise). As for fixing the track during the break, why everyone knows what is on the track you are already out there for 6 hrs. If you have to put a flag man out on the track and have a repair crew out the we'll slow down for them. Just give us enough warning. The race should be moved east a little. Hardly no one comes from the westcoast. All midwest and eastcoast racers

dammmmmmm this clown has alot to say.:bandit:

joedirt
11-08-2004, 07:39 PM
exkid this is under the RACING forum not sitting on your ***** in front of the computer wishing you were racing forum. change your name kid*******, that's what you ride. you shouldn't be using this forum go away. Go study make the grade so you can race. You don't get any faster by running your mouth!!

CatMostFeared
11-08-2004, 10:45 PM

#3 let the weather be its maker. keep it as it is oct.or around
early Sept. durning the racing break

#5 make the track more to the east

as for the drunk announcer he did ok you try a talk for 12hrs or more and tell people whats going on not easy.Maybe we need the announcer from the GNCC he never runs out of words.

CatMostFeared
11-09-2004, 12:03 AM
alos there should be a big double right in front of the pits for everyone to jump.

and a place for people to cross the track with track offical on hand to let them know when its safe.Not cross the pit area were its to wide.

bartlettracing
11-09-2004, 05:09 AM
find a big coulvert and use it as the big pit jump .... and a way for people to cross :D

Bart
11-09-2004, 05:26 AM
If you want this event to grow and attract spectators (like a Pont de Vaux), you are going to need to have to move it towards the east (closer to where more racers are) and have it when the weather will not be a factor. Maybe late Aug or early Sept after the GNC MX season is over and during the GNCC summer break. Just try to avoid a TT weekend as well. Easier said than done.

Shawn H
11-09-2004, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by bartlettracing
find a big coulvert and use it as the big pit jump .... and a way for people to cross :D

Or A Big storage container or old semi trailer and cut the suspension off it and landing gear you could walk thru it:macho

burrows
11-09-2004, 06:37 PM
I have never heard so much wining about having to come to our side of the world to race. You know we drive as far south as Texas as far south east as Florida and all the way up and you nevr hear any of us in the midwest complain. We are just glad and lucky to have a place to go and race. Come on!!!!!
I think we should be lucky we still have those rights to ride. Someday the way the government is running we won't. So lets enjoy it while we have the right no matter where we go. We don't have anything here in the midwest so we are so glad to have the 12 hr here.
As being a riders mother I think the race went very well and think it should be run exactly the way it was this year.
Great job guys and gals for all the hard work put into this race. We appreciate all you done. Momma B

shep
11-09-2004, 06:44 PM
:bandit: momma-b what would we do without you havin our backs!!! shep luvs ya!!

79400ex
11-09-2004, 07:38 PM
As for the speed down the front strectch / pit lane put a jog or a shecane in the front stretch. A lot of tracks do due this to slowdown speeds on fast straight section. I saw it done at casey il this past weekend . It only slow use down a little.

QUADROOKIE
11-09-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by burrows
I have never heard so much wining about having to come to our side of the world to race. You know we drive as far south as Texas as far south east as Florida and all the way up and you nevr hear any of us in the midwest complain. We are just glad and lucky to have a place to go and race. Come on!!!!!
I think we should be lucky we still have those rights to ride. Someday the way the government is running we won't. So lets enjoy it while we have the right no matter where we go. We don't have anything here in the midwest so we are so glad to have the 12 hr here.
As being a riders mother I think the race went very well and think it should be run exactly the way it was this year.
Great job guys and gals for all the hard work put into this race. We appreciate all you done. Momma B

I agree!!!! Not only that, but with the IATVHSS growing as quickly as it has this year and is sure to in years to come, that will only multiply the number of riders from Ia.,Mo.,Mn.,Ne., and Il. that will be turned on to the 12 hours race. It will continue to grow with or without the eastcoast riders, IMO!!

Shawn H
11-09-2004, 08:03 PM
Hmmm
ah us Wi racers too lol

There was alot of Wi racers at the 12hrs

QUADROOKIE
11-09-2004, 08:08 PM
Hmmm
ah us Wi racers too lol

There was alot of Wi racers at the 12hrs
Oh chit!!!!:o Sorry Snowgasm!!! Forgot about Wi.!!! Yeah, if anyone represented, it was you!!

dirtriderex
11-09-2004, 08:18 PM
Yeah!!! Us mid west riders always have to go out east for GNCCs, So now you feel our pain:macho

QUADROOKIE
11-09-2004, 08:44 PM
Well, I havent raced a 12 hours race, but I think the break in between sessions is a good idea. Give racers what was promised before they leave the race. Transponders for all racers/quads, fastest combined time from 2 sessions wins, make the home stretch where alot of fans can see a large portion of track with exciting jumps/whoops/turns etc., slightly shorter track layout, but more technical so rider skill is more involved rather than machine power, an earlier date would be better , but like was stated, it would then interfere with other series. My .02

Oh yeah, and TV coverage, live preferably, would be awesome!!!!---Also, more staff to prevent cheating and repair track etc.

Shawn H
11-10-2004, 07:03 AM
No way does it need to be shorter than 4.9 miles :huh

103 QUADS almost 5 feet long thats a few hundred feet short of a mile's worth of quads now the track is shorter>

Next year it may fill out with teams and then it will be a long train for a few laps and to clustered>

QUADROOKIE
11-10-2004, 07:44 AM
No way does it need to be shorter than 4.9 miles :huh

103 QUADS almost 5 feet long thats a few hundred feet short of a mile's worth of quads now the track is shorter>

Next year it may fill out with teams and then it will be a long train for a few laps and to clustered>
Holy $%#@!!! It was only 4.9 miles??? I thought I read somewhere that it was 10 or so miles, and someone suggested it be longer. My bad. It needs to be closer to 8-10 miles I would say. It could be longer, but then just as long as theres enuff tow vehicles spaced out in case of problems.

Racinaki
11-10-2004, 06:02 PM
I think that by having the race in Iowa you are keeping the numbers at a manageable level because alot of the amatuers won't drive 10-20 hours to ride this race. Thus in affect keeping the talent high and the number of quads manageable.

QUADROOKIE
11-10-2004, 06:36 PM
thats a good point too, but dont we want the numbers to grow?? it will only help our sport wont it? Maybe im wrong, but the more people we get involved, the better our sport will be for the future.

jgfarmsracer
11-10-2004, 11:07 PM
track was about 7 miles

Shawn H
11-10-2004, 11:49 PM
Did that YFZ have a odometer on it :D Cause Tom P told us it was almost 5 miles and 4.9 to be Exact>

Johnny & Monica
11-11-2004, 06:58 AM
Hey I thougth it was 7 I seen a 5 mile marker an a 7 mile marker out there towards the end longer would be better,Just hope you dont break down

jlhughes750
11-11-2004, 07:06 AM
The last mile marker i saw said 6.5..... I was told it was 7 miles or so total!!
I like the 7-9 mile range, it keeps the lap times in a good range, and gives a rider a good 2-4 laps to get in the zone before switching off!

tprender
11-11-2004, 07:23 AM
I don't know who put up the signs on the track, but when I did a pre-run I got 4.9 miles with my Trail Tech speedo. I think that it is close, but could be wrong. Have checked it with 2 others and we were off about .1 On a race of this type you have to keep the course between 5-7 miles. The big French race is just under 2 miles. Just run around a big farm field.
I did a count of the riders when there was around 95 teams signed up and half were from west of the MIssissippi river. The other half were east of the river and that is counting Ill, WI and MN on the east side. If you would have done the break around Indinia it would have been over 60% west.

burrows
11-11-2004, 08:14 AM
Oh YES!!!! The finall results have come in from Tom. Now quit wining about where the home of the 12 hour race is going to be..Love it!!!! Just pack up and mosey right over.... Momma B

Bart
11-11-2004, 10:11 AM
I realize that there were a lot of "western" teams there. That's because the race was out "west".

If the race was moved east, you would probably lose some of the teams west of the Mississippi but get many more eastern racers to show up.

It would make more sense to me to see Iowa have a 6 hour race and move the 12 hour race to another (seasonably warmer) location. That is if John wants to get 120+ teams and some spectators...

Please note that being from MI, it isn't going to make much of a difference to me where the race is (still looking at a 6-10hr drive). I thought that the track in Iowa was great and that John and the crew put on an awesome event. I am already looking forward to 2005.

jgfarmsracer
11-11-2004, 12:15 PM
just saw them signs

the Z Man
11-11-2004, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by burrows
Momma B, You tell em, I never heard so much wining, no matter what you do it seems its not enough, and those people that cheat and cut the course should be disqualified and banned from racing. It just don't seem right cheating and feeling good about yourself!! shame on them.....!

tprender
11-11-2004, 03:29 PM
I am just saying what the numbers were for this year. You need to more on to something more important, remember that the 30 min protest period is up. Such as the survey that Racer Production has posted. What about the new or changed classes and what location is going to be dropped for next year.

Johnny & Monica
11-11-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by tprender
I am just saying what the numbers were for this year. You need to more on to something more important, remember that the 30 min protest period is up. Such as the survey that Racer Production has posted. What about the new or changed classes and what location is going to be dropped for next year.

What survey is posted for racer productions?

I say let the whining continue at least someone is reading this and not telling us that our opinion doesn't count or that we don't belong to a certain group or club so we can't speak.

Let it all out :D