PDA

View Full Version : Lean Or Ritch

hart
11-05-2004, 04:05 PM
HEY guys i was just wondering , do u think my 400ex is running lean or ritch , it has a 416 kit 11.1 comp, port n polish , 155 main jet thats a dyno jet, um and a titanium 4 exhaust, i live like 200 feet above sea leavle, but my plug is still black n sooty im kinda confused oh also i have a uni filter n a open air box , where do u guys start with ur jetting any info is a big help thanks!

mojoe2878
11-05-2004, 04:14 PM
if its black and sooty then its ritch.
being that you live in canada and i know its cold up there right now, try a hotter plug and see if that helps any. the jetting doesnt sound too rich for what you have, have you moved the needle clip any?

hart
11-05-2004, 04:17 PM
noo i havent moved the needle just kept it in the position they told me too, its funny it seems like it would be ruuning lean but i dono my pulg is tellim me differnt i just dont want to blow my new 416, thanks

mojoe2878
11-05-2004, 04:23 PM
i cant remember for sure but i think the dyno jets are actually a little bigger than the keihn jets.
so a 155 dyno jet may be like running a 158 or 160 keihn. but i cant remember if thats correct or not, all i know for sure is that they are different in flow ratings.

hart
11-05-2004, 04:26 PM
thanks that takes the preasue off some , id rather be ritch than lean, what do u have done for mods to ur bike? just curious:)

ZRider400
11-05-2004, 04:27 PM
RICH*

markk
11-05-2004, 05:02 PM
Wow man, I think that i might only be about 20feet above sea level, But im running a pretty close setup to yours, and I run a dynojet, 170main, And it does me great, It has a nice light powerdry brown look, The only time i have ever had a problem with my Jetting was at the WISP, It seemd to be way rich!!!

What kinda jetting does everyone do for the wisp, Thay way i will know what to run for next year, Im runninga 170, I was thinkin about just trying a 160 or 155 what your opnioin!

hart
11-05-2004, 06:10 PM
humm man i guess we can say every motor is different its weird eh like i dont wana drop down to many more main jet sizes just for fear of blowing her up , but ill just keep tryin n see what happins , when i first had the dyno jet kit in i had a 165 mj then droped down to 160 noticed a power increase then droped to a 155 n even more but i still see its running ritch , whats the WISP i should probally no im just a lil bit stunned right now haha, drop her down to a 165 and see what happens.

cals400ex
11-05-2004, 06:32 PM
keep that 155 DJ in. however, what needle you running the stock or the DJ needle?

tell me exactly when your checking the plug?? after the bike has sat, after it has warmed up, after it has been rode for a while, after a full throttle run,??????

what pilot jet you running? what is your fuel screw position??

hart
11-06-2004, 05:41 AM
um i am using the dj needle a 38 pilot jet n the pilot screw 3 turns out , i checked the plug after i was riding for a while ,thanks

cals400ex
11-07-2004, 12:08 AM
stick with the same mainjet. you could be rich on the needle clip position. i am not too familiar with that needle as far as the clip positions are. you need to warm that up, take it out and floor it. get it to top speed. quickly pull in the clutch and kill it. now check your plug.

hart
11-08-2004, 12:57 PM
ok i tried that its not quite brown but better than before thanks 4 the help, this telles me my main jet is just a little rich right?

cals400ex
11-08-2004, 11:47 PM
if your maxed out and then quickly pull in the clutch and kill it, the plug shouldn't be black. i like my plug to be a really light tan/ tanish gray. the brand of fuel you use might really change the color of the plug. one brand of fuel i use turns it yellow. another turns it dark reddish. i would just make sure it isn't black or a whitish. make sure your looking down the insulator for plug color too.

markk
11-09-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by hart
humm man i guess we can say every motor is different its weird eh like i dont wana drop down to many more main jet sizes just for fear of blowing her up , but ill just keep tryin n see what happins , when i first had the dyno jet kit in i had a 165 mj then droped down to 160 noticed a power increase then droped to a 155 n even more but i still see its running ritch , whats the WISP i should probally no im just a lil bit stunned right now haha, drop her down to a 165 and see what happens.

The Wisp is a ski resort in Deep Creek Maryland, Its one of the rounds from the GNCC series!

hart
11-09-2004, 03:17 PM
thanks , im using 93 octane pump gas , but i have 11 to 1 comp should i be mixing that with race fuel?:confused:

cals400ex
11-10-2004, 10:59 AM
my bike runs just as good on 93 as it does with race fuel. i run a 11:1 ross with a thin head gasket and no base gasket. however, i do ride in open areas so the bike may stay cooler.

hart
11-13-2004, 12:34 PM
alright cool thanks alot for the info !!, hey did u ever hear about the lifter arm for the needle comming loose , u no the thing that pulls the needle up in the carb, well mine did i was about 10 km from home so the whole time i had to drive it off the pilot jet what a bumber eh.haha oh well i got home by holdin the road good thing i didnt see a cop i could only do 60

panteramatt
11-13-2004, 03:39 PM
Well you need to make sure you tighten that arm up nest time:p Also, its better to run your bike a little on the lean side powerwise but just watch temp changes and elevation changes. I run mine 1 jet size smaller than I should have and it runs better just have to check the plug more often and make sure she aint white!

panteramatt
11-13-2004, 03:40 PM
Oh and by the way, is your last name hart cause so is mine:D

hart
11-13-2004, 05:58 PM
haha yep my last name is hart my first name is matt too, maby were long lost cousins or sumthin haha, thanks 4 the info.what do u have done to ur honda?